Android 2.0 tutorials

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MrGlass, Dec 6, 2009.

1. MrGlass

MrGlass New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I looked through a few threads looking for tutorials on creating basic apps, but so far the only ones I've seen only deal with android 1.5. Are there any android 2.0 tutorials?

Also, is there any basic tutorial on using eclipse? It's been a while since I've used such a full featured editor.

2. Firegrl

Firegrl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The tutorial I worked through that helped me get a grasp on Eclipse was this one:

Android Development with Eclipse - Tutorial

Simple tutorial, but I find myself referring to it more than any other I have found so far.

3. silverx10

silverx10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Having only just skimmed that page, I must say: I'm quite impressed. From all the books and other resources I've read, I'd begun to think that it wasn't possible to create a UI with any other means than through actual coding.

Which, coming from Visual Basic, is a serious bummer, as Visual Basic essentially let's you paint your user interface with its own UI.

So much thanks for the link.

Further skimming shows that there seems to be a shared theme in all of these tutorials, books, and so forth: they really don't break it down for the beginner. They go and throw walls of code at you with a few comments here and there, and leave you on your own.

Again, because Visual Basic is the easiest language by far that seems to exist, I have to admit that code like this:

Code:
    Private Sub cmdCommander_Click()
         Dim varOne as Integer
         Dim varTwo as Integer
         Dim varThree as Integer
         varOne = txtOne.Text
         varTwo = varTwo.Text
         varThree = varOne * varTwo
         MsgBox "Your answer is..."
         lblResult.Caption = varThree & "!"
    End Sub

Is far more intuitive to even the newest newcomer to the field than the Android equivalent.

Methinks something needs to be done about this. Obviously, the language cannot be changed, but the way it's taught to the student... can be.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  4. Firegrl

Firegrl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. I have developed a little in .NET and I'm finding myself very confused at times about how to accomplish something in trying to build an android app. I have gone through all the tutorials that were decent enough not to skip 10,000 steps and leave people confused as to how they got from step A to step G, but now that I'm on my own, there really does seem to be a huge void and I seem to keep asking myself "Now what?"

I'm dying to develop some apps in the little spare time I have, but I'm having trouble in trying to find out HOW to program some of the apps I have in mind.

So right now, I'm just trying to get a grasp of what does what, etc. and hope the lightbulb will go off one day...

5. petjakob

petjakob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recommend the andbook.pdf as a starting point, and search for info on whatever you are trying to do at anddev.org, I was able to code up a simple alpha for one of the core functions I want with my app ideas this last week using those resources.

6. mpgolfpro

mpgolfpro New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently took a semester long course entirely on writing code in Visual Basic. When I completed the course....with a B+....I knew exactly as much as I knew before I took the course....NOTHING. For someone who has not been around computer programming ever, it is impossible to just throw them into a Lion's Den so to speak and expect them to come out alive.

I really wish I could learn about coding and how it all works so I could use the Droid to its full capacity. Any advice on this would be great.

7. MrGlass

MrGlass New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just graduated as a comp sci major (most of my courses were in c++). I've spent the last few months working in depth with PHP.

I'm lost with all this as well. It's not so much the language, which seems to be fairly standard, but that there aren't enough basic tutorials on it. I can get hello world, and I can get in depth documentation on classes , but I have yet to see anything in the middle (except the notepad tutorial, which is a huge leap ahead of the ones before it). There is no gradual learning curve, at all.

Some things are also painfully implemented, like location. there is no way to just get the users location, it takes atleast a dozen lines of code for even a broken implementation. And I can't find one decent sample of code that just spits out the lat/long.

Now, this isn't so bad, in theory. Coding is hard. But apple put out so many resources for iPhone development, and its so well established, that all of this would be easily accessible for that platform. This is why there aren't that many android apps.
    </rant>

Anyway, that guide you linked to up top doesn't look too bad. I'll start taking a look at that. And youc an expect me asking for help on these forums a lot :)

8. silverx10

silverx10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    mpgolfpro, I suppose I can sympathize with your situation: coding isn't exactly the easiest thing for some/most/etc. people to comprehend, much in the same way that French/German/etc. aren't easy for me to comprehend. Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes. Honestly, the only resource I ever used (save for maybe one or two other sites on the net) was Microsoft Visual Basic Step by Step, by Microsoft Press. The book was clear, concise, and explained everything about every line of code.

Not really much of a help for learning Android, mind you, but it goes to show that programming books can be newcomer-friendly, and not skimp on the code.

MrGlass, I do fully concur with what you said there. Coding is hard, in general. If it weren't at least somewhat difficult, I'm sure software developers wouldn't make half as much as they do these days. Still, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of available resources out there.

...'s just a matter of sifting through the garbage to find the diamond in the rough.

Search tags for this page

android 2.0 tutorial

concur app tutorial s4