And today we get Pie

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Was the battery percentage at the bottom of the lock screen before? Also, if we have the option to use the new single button navigation, how do we get to it?
That's new with pie (battery percentage on bottom of lock screen). That was in the earlier p builds.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
46.7MB here. I've been running the beta since the first release candidate, I think. I've been enjoying it. No major bugs like when I used the first beta for Nougat on my 6P.

Looking forward to the stable build & I'm thinking I'm going to sign up for the "Digital Wellbeing" beta as well. App time limits, grayscale mode along with night mode & other features to help me unplug & wind down for the night. Sign up for the Android Digital Wellbeing Beta – Android.com Forms

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm pretty impressed, I'm not usually an early adopter, but since I've been so pleased with the non rooted experience with Oreo, and given I'd have to take it fairly soon to keep up with the monthly updates, figured might as well get it done now.

They've done a really good job. Now if only we could colorize the soft keys, it would be as close to perfect as a non rooted phone can be

Last edited:

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Hey kids, if anyone is using DNS66 and noticed it ain't working, it's a setting change in chrome.

Go to chrome
Enter chrome://flags
Search for dns
Change the asyncDNS setting to disable

Found this on the interwebs and it worked

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, this is the first time one of the names I predicted for P ended up being right. Before I saw the peppermint looking splash screen I theought it might be Pie (Are you ready for some pie?). Now to be fair that was back in March and I have since jumped around from pecan pie to peppermint.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

DL also do a good job with a more in depth walk through

OP
radon222

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Now that I've had it for about a day, I'm quickly getting used to the Gesture Nav. But I do hope that a future update brings two-directional sliding on the pill. I've not gone through enough normal usage cycles yet to tell whether Adaptive Battery is doing anything.

I'll admit, maybe I'm the oddball. But I actually do like the clock on the left ;)

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Agreed - This is the first OTA I've taken in many years. They did a fine job. If the "Pill" were all by it's "Applish" self, then Slide Right/Left would not only be useful, and very thumb friendly as well as distinguishing itself from Apple.

The funniest thing is I accidentally discovered split screen, who knew ? I've been out of the loop with a 3 year old ROM I never updated, so much I been missing.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Now that I've had it for about a day, I'm quickly getting used to the Gesture Nav. But I do hope that a future update brings two-directional sliding on the pill. I've not gone through enough normal usage cycles yet to tell whether Adaptive Battery is doing anything.

I'll admit, maybe I'm the oddball. But I actually do like the clock on the left ;)
I was totally against the clock on the left when I first downloaded the beta, but it's grown on me. Same for the new navigation. Took me a bit to get used to it, but it works just fine for me now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Agreed - This is the first OTA I've taken in many years. They did a fine job. If the "Pill" were all by it's "Applish" self, then Slide Right/Left would not only be useful, and very thumb friendly as well as distinguishing itself from Apple.

The funniest thing is I accidentally discovered split screen, who knew ? I've been out of the loop with a 3 year old ROM I never updated, so much I been missing.

Good to see you back!