And Into The Toilet It Goes...

SeeDahLicious

Reaction score
So the other night I had dropped my Droid Razr into the toilet, luckily it was clean!
And I got it out immediately and dried off what I could with a towel, the screen still worked so I thought alright at least that's okay. Knowing that the battery isn't suppose to come out I didn't know what to do so I just blew air into the hole on the phone as much as I could to air dry the best I could. Then, I let it sit over night to dry without the charger so it had died too, which didn't take long since it was drying this whole time.

This morning I plugged it in and it turned on but the screen and all keys were unresponsive to everything. The power button/ screen lock button does not work what so ever, even now, so I have to plug the phone in or unplug it to get the screen to light up and after the phone freaked out for a while I was able to use the screen. It was like the phone went crazy for a while. Come to find out now the screen works and all the touch sensor keys, as well as the volume controls, but I can't turn the screen on or off even turn the phone off. I did let it sit in rice for a while hoping it would dry out some of the moisture.

So, if everything else seems to be working fine how would I go about fixing the power button?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So the other night I had dropped my Droid Razr into the toilet, luckily it was clean!
And I got it out immediately and dried off what I could with a towel, the screen still worked so I thought alright at least that's okay. Knowing that the battery isn't suppose to come out I didn't know what to do so I just blew air into the hole on the phone as much as I could to air dry the best I could. Then, I let it sit over night to dry without the charger so it had died too, which didn't take long since it was drying this whole time.

This morning I plugged it in and it turned on but the screen and all keys were unresponsive to everything. The power button/ screen lock button does not work what so ever, even now, so I have to plug the phone in or unplug it to get the screen to light up and after the phone freaked out for a while I was able to use the screen. It was like the phone went crazy for a while. Come to find out now the screen works and all the touch sensor keys, as well as the volume controls, but I can't turn the screen on or off even turn the phone off. I did let it sit in rice for a while hoping it would dry out some of the moisture.

So, if everything else seems to be working fine how would I go about fixing the power button?

There are several possibilities. Water could still be trapped in the switch module, there could now be corrosion corrupting the contacts in the switch, or the failure could be due to a component that was damaged by the water resulting in the component failing. I would leave it in the rice for 24 hours or more, then check again. There are contact cleaners that come in a spray can which leave no residue. You could give the switch a shoot or two with the residue-free contact cleaner spray. Anything else might be futile.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

davoIII

Reaction score
I second that ^ Ur lucky the phone still works & am inpressed! If that don't work there's tools to take it apart but it will void the warranty (even though its probably all ready void). How ever last resort if u have $100 & tec from asurion (insurance offered from Verizon) make a claim!

WETLAYED

Reaction score
I find it usefull to clean the phone with some industrial strength alcohol, it dry up all the water and help clean up those connections

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I find it usefull to clean the phone with some industrial strength alcohol, it dry up all the water and help clean up those connections

Agreed. You're looking for a solution that is either 100% our close to 100% alcohol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can get 99-100% isopropyl alcohol at some hardware stores, paint stores, or some electronics supply stores. Pour it into a bowl and totally submerge your phone in it. Slosh it around a bit to get the alcohol really in it and then take it out and let it air dry. It won't hurt to say a few prayers while it dries. I would let it air dry for a full day before tying to turn it on again. The alcohol will displace the water and then dry very quickly. Good luck.

Makes that Liquipel treatment that was reported in the news section seem like a good idea.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm not 100% sure... but won't isopropyl alcohol possibly discolor certain areas of the phone????

I personally don't know if it will or won't. So i have to ask.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
94lt1 said:
I'm not 100% sure... but won't isopropyl alcohol possibly discolor certain areas of the phone????

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Even if it did, that would be better than a dead phone which is extremely likely if you don't get all the water out of it. If you lucky enough to not have something short the corrosion will get you before too long.

Since you warranty is already void if you ever fully submerge you phone your safest bet assuming you have the skills is to go ahead & crack it open to dry it out. Use of something nonconductive & fast drying that disperses water like electronics cleaner or alcohol, and forced air will help get things dried out quicker.

WETLAYED

Reaction score

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

You will be fine, trust Me, the alcohol is not gonna deform nor discolor your phone. I do composite repairs and isopropyl alcohol is one of many solvents we use. Now if you were to use acetone or MEK then you might have a problem :p

SallyC

Reaction score
I've heard of doing this, after you remove the battery. In the Razr, where you can't remove the battery, this is also safe?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
WETLAYED said:
You will be fine, trust Me, the alcohol is not gonna deform nor discolor your phone. I do composite repairs and isopropyl alcohol is one of many solvents we use. Now if you were to use acetone or MEK then you might have a problem :p

Kewl, thank you for the info!!! I appreciate it!!

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Daballa

Reaction score
I have heard that if you place it in a bag of rice say overnight it will absorb the water out of it, worth a try.