An Open Letter To BlackDroid (NOT a flame thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I so wanted to personally respond to BlackDroid; alas the thread was closed due to bickering. So I have created this thread to personally respond to BlackDroid. Mods/Admins; PLEASE read before deciding to close this. And if it turns into a bicker-fest, PLEASE close it ASAP.

That having been said, here's what I want to say to BlackDroid:

Dear BlackDroid,

When all the drama erupted, I was one of the people in here badmouthing you and sticking up for Cyanogen and Koush 100% - however, it's been awhile since this all happened (forever in internet terms); and I wanted to direct a post to you yourself.

First of all, even I don't COMPLETELY understand all of the accusations against you; so I cannot fully comment. However, some folks DID have some pretty compelling evidence against you. THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, I don't believe you ever meant any real harm to anyone. I have personally tried building ROMs myself (never got anywhere close to anything releasable, I simply didn't have time) and I can honestly say that I myself wouldn't be able to figure out exactly WHAT I used to build it by the time I was finished. But then again, I probably wouldn't release it; or if I did, i'd admit that I wasn't sure exactly where everything came from and would issue a blanket note of thanks to the entire Droid modding community.

I also don't think that if you'd meant any real harm, that you would have taken any time whatsoever to defend yourself. If you really were simply out for making a "name" for yourself, i'm sure you'd have simply started your own site and never returned here. You would have been "F*** DF, I don't need to explain s*** to them" - but you weren't like that, you've honestly taken steps to fix things.

And finally, whatever you DID do to UD10, it honestly was the best performing Cyanogen-based ROM i've ever used with a theme applied to it. I haven't had time to mess with your newest ROM, i've just got CM 5.0.6.2 running perfectly; however I will at some point, I tend to switch ROMs alot.

Finally, to the whole Droid modding community, I implore you all to stop giving BD a hard time. It does NOTHING for development; and wastes the time of the forum Mods and Admins. None of us are making any money off of this (unless we ask for donations, and that honestly isn't going to equal a salary for ANY of us, developing a market app would be more profitable) and all of this bickering is going to do nothing in the long run except turn folks away from ROM development. I know that some folks are programmers by trade, and understand all of the ins-and-outs of giving credit and copyright and all of that fun stuff. Others are merely hobbyists, i'd venture that some of us have not really done much coding at all until we got our phones. Hell, I learned how to use Ubuntu by learning kernel development. I didn't know what I was doing.

In the end, we're all developing ROMs that technically, according to VZW and Motorola, we're not even supposed to be using. And we're improving an already great smartphone in the process. Does it REALLY matter where it came from? We should ALL be giving Google credit, if that's the case. I mean, a word of thanks is polite..... But if someone forgets to give it, it doesn't mean they should be shunned forever. My Aunt Marge doesn't suddenly stop associating with me just because I forget to thank her for a birthday gift.

Somehow, you don't strike me as a "bad person", BD. You are very supportive of your users, and you seem to be willing to communicate. You cook a nice ROM (no matter how much of that is prepackaged) and it improves the Droid experience. There is really no reason to do anything but install it, and if it works well for you, enjoy it.

I propose that from now on, ALL ROM devs simply credit the Android AOSP and the dev community; and throw their ROMs together from whatever sources work best. After all, a little bit of EVERY dev ends up in a custom ROM (and even an official ROM) - i'm sure that some of the google folks take ideas from some of our code if we upload them to public repositories. I seriously doubt that it goes unnoticed.

Anyways, sorry for the length of it, and i'm sorry if anyone doesn't like what I have to say. I just care more about how a ROM runs than where it came from. Why scare the "newbs" away with a bunch of rules? The more ROMs out there, the better. Especially the ones that run like UD10 does.

(And in BD's defense, I installed BD10 during all of this drama, and I wish to apologize. I had accused him of including paid apps based on something i'd read - when installed, NONE of these apps were there; they were simply used in the screenshots - BD, my advice on that would be don't include screenshots that show software that isn't part of the ROM)

Sincerely,
Dave

AKA Dave12308

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd felt bad about some things i'd said, that's all. Nuff said.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its over and done. BD apologized and all that matters is that the admin accepts it. If you do not like BD or his Rom dont use it. If you accept his apology and would like to use the rom, then do so. The OP wanted to get something off his/her chest.

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

There's a PM feature

keep on a beat'n that dead horse

Better out in the open, since my original posts were. In the end, I am resigned. I really don't care. All of this bickering does absolutely nothing for ROM development, and if anything puts a damper on things.

All of the folks in the dev community rock, and everyone adds their own "something" to the community. I just know for one, as a 35 year old man, all of this has gotten me to the point where i've ceased all kernel development, and any chance of a ROM ever being released. I don't have the time for all of the nonsense, bickering, and fighting. I wouldn't want to release something that I forgot to give 'credit' for. I'm sorry if I don't have time to remember everyone in the community's names, and if I release something with improper credits. But mistakes are made, and people need for forgive and forget. If you don't support someone's work, don't install their OS simple as that. Many folks choose Linux over Windows for just that reason. If BD did what he was accused of, he didn't really do anything that Bill Gates didn't do with MS-DOS. Yet, Billy boy went on to be a multi-billionaire.

shmoo

Reaction score

There's a PM feature

keep on a beat'n that dead horse

Not trying to get involved but being pissy at someone that is trying apologize is why the last thread got closed. Sounds like you're beating the very dead horse. Just live and let live. I'm out...

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its over and done. BD apologized and all that matters is that the admin accepts it. If you do not like BD or his Rom dont use it. If you accept his apology and would like to use the rom, then do so. The OP wanted to get something off his/her chest.

Thanks man. BTW, off topic question, are you a 747 pilot? Just wondering, i'm sort of an aviation buff. Although the biggest thing i've actually flown was a Mooney 201 (I THINK that's a bit bigger than a Cessna 172)

trumpet444

Reaction score
Well formed apology. Hope he sees it.

He actually does have his own site. I'm not positive, but I think it was up before this drama blew up. I actually like both devs. I anxiously await releases from both. There were similarities, but they both performed differently, so not a simple copy and paste. As far as his new roms, he gives credit to ALL, including some from cyanogen/koush. UD Portal

Nedaroth

Reaction score

He actually does have his own site. I'm not positive, but I think it was up before this drama blew up. I actually like both devs. I anxiously await releases from both. There were similarities, but they both performed differently, so not a simple copy and paste. As far as his new roms, he gives credit to ALL, including some from cyanogen/koush. UD Portal

No but the site he is on is up for sale now.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

No but the site he is on is up for sale now.
Site owner had some personal things come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.