An honest question from a nuetral party regarding Android and Iphone

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Kodiak, can you elaborate on the "locale" thing? Do you mean like the feature from moto smart action?

Very similar, I think. Locale allows location and time based settings, and combinations thereof. It even has a wifi plugin (which in the past I've not had a lot of success with) that can change settings based on the wifi SSID within range. Settings include all the volume/notifications, brightness, all the toggles, even wallpaper...screen timeout and ringer. If I wanted to, I can even have it launch Pandora in the morning as an alarm clock (it can launch any shortcut based on a trigger). Think there's even a way to use your calendar as a trigger, so your settings can change if you're in a meeting. Useful, also, to have it set your password (for awhile, in combination with another app, I had it set to disable phone lock at home, but enable with password when I walked out my door).

A totally underrated app/capability of Android. Who hasn't been in a meeting where someone's annoying (and loud), sometimes embarrassingly so, phone starts ringing? And I like the fact that my phone automatically switches to Wifi when I get home, but it doesn't at work.

It's not cheap - Locale plus some of the better plug-ins will cost you about $10. Tasker is $6.50 and probably has more functionality, plus any Locale compatible plug-in (difference in price is probably the inclusion of some plug-ins you'd need to buy with Locale).

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very similar, I think. Locale allows location and time based settings, and combinations thereof. It even has a wifi plugin (which in the past I've not had a lot of success with) that can change settings based on the wifi SSID within range. Settings include all the volume/notifications, brightness, all the toggles, even wallpaper...screen timeout and ringer. If I wanted to, I can even have it launch Pandora in the morning as an alarm clock (it can launch any shortcut based on a trigger). Think there's even a way to use your calendar as a trigger, so your settings can change if you're in a meeting. Useful, also, to have it set your password (for awhile, in combination with another app, I had it set to disable phone lock at home, but enable with password when I walked out my door).

A totally underrated app/capability of Android. Who hasn't been in a meeting where someone's annoying (and loud), sometimes embarrassingly so, phone starts ringing? And I like the fact that my phone automatically switches to Wifi when I get home, but it doesn't at work.

It's not cheap - Locale plus some of the better plug-ins will cost you about $10. Tasker is $6.50 and probably has more functionality, plus any Locale compatible plug-in (difference in price is probably the inclusion of some plug-ins you'd need to buy with Locale).
Ive had tasker and locale. The problem with them and me is that i am lazy, I know whats going on in those apps they are just a pain to set up. If this is the type of setup someone wants then they need to have the expectation to sit and meticulously click all those buttons. Me? id rather open pandora myself every time then to sit down for a couple hours and setting this stuff up.sometimes these programs are over complicated for the amount of thought i actually want to put into something.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ive had tasker and locale. The problem with them and me is that i am lazy, I know whats going on in those apps they are just a pain to set up. If this is the type of setup someone wants then they need to have the expectation to sit and meticulously click all those buttons. Me? id rather open pandora myself every time then to sit down for a couple hours and setting this stuff up.sometimes these programs are over complicated for the amount of thought i actually want to put into something.

I don't know. It's really not that hard to set-up a profile, takes maybe a minute. Plus, I can't very well launch Pandora to wake me up, can I? The button clicks certainly add-up changing your settings every time you get to the office, home or wherever, not to mention even remembering to do that. Yeah, it takes some time to learn and set-up, but it's more effective and efficient in the long-run.

soops

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I thought ios may have similar feature/capabilities since I'm thinking this is mostly software program, no?

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Aside from the above, there is nothing an iPhone 4S can't do ... probably better... than something on an Android device. Except maybe watch naughty website videos that need Flash.

I can think of a a few, the first being customization. Even once you're jailbroken iPhones are not nearly as easy to make your own as Android devices, and what you can do is still somewhat limited. No need to turn this into a flame war, but each device has its strengths and weaknesses and the short coming of a closed system is that you will never have the same options that you do with open source.

Secondly, glass body FTL. Smartphones are easy enough to damage as is, so why add to the possible headaches?

As to your gripe about updates, that is a fallacy of the carriers, not the system itself, though Google should be more proactive in forcing carriers to not let phones become obsolete. That said, there are some features in ICS that are pretty worthwhile, but I don't feel like I'm missing out not having it on my phone.

iPhone: stability; Android:WIDGETS & customization. Everything else is a toss-up as I have yet to need to do something and find either to be incapable.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Wait... You're telling me that the glass doesn't come pre cracked?
And if it doesn't, man, that would take away from the awesome form factor! I always just thought it was the latest Apple style!

the funny thing is, why make it with glass that cracks when they're going to cover with plastic and rubber anyway... ?

Living on the edge!

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
the other main difference between ios and android...
Ios and its hidden "kill switch" ... Apple has a falling out over anything with an app and can remotely kill it without permission! Even after you've paid for it.

Living on the edge!

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
the other main difference between ios and android...
Ios and its hidden "kill switch" ... Apple has a falling out over anything with an app and can remotely kill it without permission! Even after you've paid for it.

Living on the edge!
So can android. :biggrin: