An email to the VZW CEO

Snow02

Reaction score
The legal precedent said once you buy it, you may do anything to it. It says nothing about the topic at hand. If you don't want a locked bootloader, don't buy moto. It's not complicated.

OP
teh_g

teh_g

Reaction score
The legal precedent said once you buy it, you may do anything to it. It says nothing about the topic at hand. If you don't want a locked bootloader, don't buy moto. It's not complicated.

When I bought it, I did not know that the bootloader was locked.

Snow02

Reaction score
If that was an important factor in your purchasing decision, you would have bothered looking it up.

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Snow, seriously, not to be rude, but if you are going to talk smack on everyone in a thread just leave. Don't join in just to tell people off.

Thanks man.

OP
teh_g

teh_g

Reaction score
If that was an important factor in your purchasing decision, you would have bothered looking it up.

Two things:
1. It wasn't an announced thing at launch
2. I could also have worked on the assumption that Android stands for openness

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To be honest, and it has been said endlessly, oems only care about money. They dont want you rooting because it has proven that majority of their claims have been from root users thinking they bricked their phones. It starts with the users, dont go head first in to anything, not a rom, a theme, or a phone. No matter what they tell you moto and htc is going locked down and staying that way. They are trying to sell phones so instead of doing like apple and saying we dont want you to mod our phones, they will just say "we are working on a solution". Their solution is to improve their software and keep you locked out period. If you want to mod buy a nexus and that is why I am pushing for vzw to bring the nexus on board.

Skull One

Reaction score
Actually sir there is some legal action here. I believe that Its been determined by the courts that full phone modification is legal and that companies can not do something to the hardware to prevent such modding. Unfortunately apple found a loophole where they can void ur warranty. That os perfectly within their rights. But what moto is doing by locking the bootloader is in direct conflict with the decision made by the courts. They can say its due to the interest of the end user, but honestly, a large majority of people are rofoting their phones and such anyways. Regardless. Legal action is legitimet, and a class action law suit is perfect. There have been a ton of more ridiculous law suits before, this one would actually be a serious one.

It wasn't determined by a court. The Library of Congress amended the DMCA with a provision that affords the end user of the purchased cell phone, and other listed devices, the inherent right to hack the device without fear of prosecution.

No where does it state the device manufactures has to make it easy.

Please go read the full ruling http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/RM-2008-8.pdf if you would like to understand the full ramifications.

BTW "unlocking" cell phones was allowed from 2006 thru 2009 as a "test case" before final wording was drafted for the DMCA amendment.

Also Apple should be thanked for this change in the DMCA. Their pending lawsuits is what forced the change in the DMCA and the definition of Fair Use.

randroid123

Reaction score

A) If you preordered the thing like I did you would not have known til the day before launch when it was truely becomeing public that the E-fuse would lock our bootloader.

B) Who would have even researched this sort of thing before the X??? I mean a majority of us came straight from the OG Droid where it was free game, what other phone before the X has ever TRUELY been Locked???

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see lots of haters in here, but good work friend. Why not send emails and ask questions? Could turn out to be nothing but a wast of time, or it could help. If nothing else you might come away with some knowledge you didn't have before.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I see lots of haters in here, but good work friend. Why not send emails and ask questions? Could turn out to be nothing but a wast of time, or it could help. If nothing else you might come away with some knowledge you didn't have before.

I dont think any one is hating. We all want it to happen BUT you have to look at the big picture. Why would an OEM want you to root, what do they get out of it. Yes a lot of things oems have included in their uis were a result of development, BUT there have been people claiming the phone was "defective" even though they rooted and put a bad rom on the device. They have to protect the end user from themselves and stop wasting money. Every company is looking for away to cut waste and by keeping the people from messing with files they shouldn't they will block root access and the ability to mod. My point is writing letters is ok but if you dont back your words with your wallet then it means nothing to them. If the Nexus was the #1 selling device vzw would have it and you would see oems duplicate it. We live in a copycat world, the evo made money for sprint so vzw put it on their network. IF moto keeps locking the bootloaders and you still buy mot then you are ok with it in their eyes. Its when moto lose money and stockholders start complaining is when you will see a change.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I like the fact that all of this noise is being made! I'm in!! Imagine a PC mfg selling locked down computers with unremovable bloat. That WOULD NOT fly.

chasm31

Reaction score
This is great in practice but I doubt any of this ever makes it to CEO desk let alone care about it. Wish it were different. I think like others, our only hope is vzw nexus. I hate blur (new included) and sense. Nexus is right uo my alley. Come on vzw.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Imagine a PC mfg selling locked down computers with unremovable bloat. That WOULD NOT fly.

+1. At this point there is little difference. These phones can do pretty much everything most computers can. And as sad as it is, my phone is actually better spec-wise than my grandparents computer. So if it wouldn't fly on a pc then why should we let it fly?

Sent from my Liberated D2G

armedmonkey

Reaction score
My questions are:
Why would this cause future legal action? If a person knows it is locked before purchase, that person knows what he/she is purchasing.

What attorney would take this, unless it was a class action, and then only the attorney(ies) make the money? The plaintiffs get a little token.

What person is willing to spend thousands on a suit againt Verizon in regard to a phone?

Just curious...

My question is, do you think you're the first person to do this? They are talking to you for damage control, because they know you're going to come back to all of your forums and tell us what's going on. It's not gonna get you anywhere. If I'm wrong, I'll be glad to eat my own words, but I'm rather confident in my stance because as I've said, people on these forums have already done that. And here's a shocker for you, we're actually a minority (*shock*), most people with android phones don't give a hoot about the "whatloader"?

My point is writing letters is ok but if you dont back your words with your wallet then it means nothing to them. If the Nexus was the #1 selling device vzw would have it and you would see oems duplicate it. We live in a copycat world, the evo made money for sprint so vzw put it on their network. IF moto keeps locking the bootloaders and you still buy mot then you are ok with it in their eyes. Its when moto lose money and stockholders start complaining is when you will see a change.

QFT. You guys should all listen to pc747.

Last edited: