an app that uses data to send text

y0manda

Reaction score
Well with my $200 month cell phone bill b/c my wife and I both have droids and two other lines on our plan we saved a bit of money by cacelling our unlimted text to the $5 month each line, my wife and I and a couple of my contacts use google talk which I like better but for everyone else still texting me doesn't have talk. I am looking for an app that uses my data to send sms messages. with such an app the reciever probably won't know who its being sent from and when they reply or send me a text it will probably count against my texts huh. If anyone knows of an app I would like to try it out thanks

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's no app that does this. Each provider uses a different system to send text via e-mail, so you'd need an app that can handle each provider. Yes, incoming texts will still count against you.

Is $10/month really all that much when you're talking about a $200 phone bill?

OP
Y

y0manda

Reaction score
Its actually $15/month x 2 lines. Its not much but ads up.thank you

hookerdj

Reaction score
do you have verizon wireless if you have a droid its 29.99 a month internet and its unlimited data that means unlimited texts tooo

muzhik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnePlus One
i use google voice for txt's, works out pretty good... can't get mms but they can always email...

OP
Y

y0manda

Reaction score
When you send a text with google voice does it use data? I have google voice.

Last edited:

hookerdj

Reaction score
txts are suppoosed to be free with google voice just like callings free with it if you make your number one of your friends and family

When you send a text with google voice does out use data? I have google voice.

OP
Y

y0manda

Reaction score
Yes my google voice number that calls out is one off my favorite 10 I use it all the time for out going calls.. So I can send sms with google voice and out uses data? I always thought out used vzw sms to gv sms, cool

Last edited:

The Rick

Reaction score
do you have verizon wireless if you have a droid its 29.99 a month internet and its unlimited data that means unlimited texts tooo

This is not true at all. Not to flame but if you had a calling only plan with verizon, and obviously a data plan with the droid, you are then paying for a text plan or paying per text/picture message.

OP
Y

y0manda

Reaction score
Im sure his mom pays for his cell phone bill lol.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I can send sms with google voice and out uses data? I always thought out used vzw sms to gv sms, cool
Nope. You'd only have SMS count against you if you have SMS forwarding enabled in GV.

GV sms uses data, only downside is that recipient will have to reply to your gv #
Downside is subjective. I only use my GV number and it's definitely not a downside IMO. YMMV, of course.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I can send sms with google voice and out uses data? I always thought out used vzw sms to gv sms, cool
Nope. You'd only have SMS count against you if you have SMS forwarding enabled in GV.

GV sms uses data, only downside is that recipient will have to reply to your gv #
Downside is subjective. I only use my GV number and it's definitely not a downside IMO. YMMV, of course.

^^this.
Have used GV for all my txts since I got the Droid in December. Just be SURE to turn off the forwarding (GV forwarding to your cell). Also GV messages are now 'pushed' to your phone (Droid/Android anyway) so you get them instantly. I've not had any problems and actually had VZW disable the txting ability on my account (so I get NO spam or other BS txts).