An App idea that just may rock your world

Discussion in 'Android App Developers' started by winxp5421, Nov 13, 2010.

1. winxp5421

winxp5421 New Member

an app that acts like a usb cd-rom drive with a UI that mounts iso's close to daemon tool, alcohol 120%
    if ur a computer repair or troubleshooter like me you know its a pain to carry around your boot-able cd's and diagnostic tools. it would be nice to just carry around ur phone and a usb cable so you can "mount and boot"
    cd's and dvd's.

good for:
    windows installs (or any OS)
    diagnostic tools (ultimate boot cd, or hirens boot cd)
    any boot-able cd or thumb drive linux

Features of interest

1. iso mounting (duh)
    2. boot-able from bios
    3. major iso format compatible
  2. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

I'm not sure that it would be possible to code an app that forced a PC's BIOS to detect the device as a bootable CD drive and boot from it. If someone CAN figure out how, that would be a kick-ass idea, though!
  3. winxp5421

winxp5421 New Member

thx dave i appreciate your input

ive been thinking about this alot lately becouse it would come in handy so i figured i would give something a try and i have had slight success.

i formated my sd card used unetbootin to setup the directory structure just like a bootable usb thumb drive would be.

first i tried mounting sdcard using sprecovery and booting from it. i noticed that the device had changed in bios from "Motorola A855"(already recognized as a cdrom drive. see attachment) to "Generic MC" booting was a failure.

Second i tried mounting sd card with the android os running. first problem i encountered was that when u restart your computer it shuts off the power to the usb ports making the phone think you unplugged the cord hence android os auto mounts sdcard. after many restarts i tried to time it just right so it recognized it as a bootable device. i was successful only once and managed to boot into a Linux live cd.

progress is progress i guess any ideas?

Attached Files:

4. joeybarclay

joeybarclay New Member

Sounds sweet my computer tries to boot from my droid if my droid is plugged in when I turn it on so it might be possible.
Search tags for this page

iso mounter for android