AMOLED screens and that damn green tint...

B

bens42608

I don't.

The inherent flaw with LCD is that they have to have their back light on to emit color, therefore you cannot truly produce blacks. You can produce dark grays.

The backlight is no flaw. That's their biggest advantage. It allows the screen to be much brighter than amoled and they are the best screens in sunlight than any other display ever created for a phone. In bright places where amoled are completely washed out by sunlight, lcd's are perfectly visible. And if what you're saying is true then amoleds have better color black essentially because the screens have less light behind them so they are darker. They're both just as good at being black when the screen is turned off ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
LCD's take more power.

And Samsung makes the best AMOLED screens in the business - I am not worried about the screen.

B

bens42608

LCD's take more power.

And Samsung makes the best AMOLED screens in the business - I am not worried about the screen.

Maybe samsung does make the best green tinted screens with no white pixel that can't be seen in sunlight with splotches all over them(which has been proven in other threads) I agree with you ;) and the power difference between lcd's and amoled is negligible. It's a tiny price for 3x the brightness and the ability to see it wherever you are. My cuz has a samsung - don't know which one- but I do know it is amoled because when he was showing everyone a picture it was all green. Look, facts are just facts and when it comes to opinions, to each their own. And I don't own a share in any of these companies so I don't wanna use energy defending any of them in an argument with anyone on here. Thank you.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I'm simply stating what I've read on the internet. I did however find this video which looks at four different kinds of displays, LCD, Super LCD, AMOLED and Super AMOLED. In case anyone is interested.

[video=youtube;gY6qpnoziZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY6qpnoziZM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

B

bens42608

I made the mistake of comparing the display on the Rezound to the Bionic. Thought I stepped into the twilight zone. The display on that thing is worse than the old tv my parents had that needed pliers to change the channels lol

Jeez I knew bionic's was better but I didn't know resound was that bad. Thanks for your post

smokiedabong

Reaction score
On the previous Nexus phones you can install a custom kernel that will allow you to adjust the color temperature . You can make it pure white , red , yellow , whatever the hell you want , just one of the great things you can do with an unlocked phone supported by developers . The phone has a blue tint by design to compensate the fact that the element which produces the blue color will wear out faster than the rest . After a year or so it's gonna have the right colors .

B

bens42608

On the previous Nexus phones you can install a custom kernel that will allow you to adjust the color temperature . You can make it pure white , red , yellow , whatever the hell you want , just one of the great things you can do with an unlocked phone supported by developers . The phone has a blue tint by design to compensate the fact that the element which produces the blue color will wear out faster than the rest . After a year or so it's gonna have the right colors .

Having ur display show the right colors is something that you absolutely should not have to root it to fix let alone saying wait a year and then it will even out and look right. My lcd came stock showing colors perfectly fine as all phones costing hundreds of dollars should. This technology seems to be going backwards. My old nextel i95cl showed true colors right out the box and that was one of the first phones with a color screen

Fyi; you were the first person to take the time to correctly explain why these colors are so oversaturated and off to begin with. They over compensated for how much the colors will fade over time

Last edited by a moderator:

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Jeez I knew bionic's was better but I didn't know resound was that bad. Thanks for your post

WHAT??? The rezounds screen blows the bionics screen out of the water!!!! Screens are of coarse judged by personal opinion. The rezounds screen is crazy nice. blacks or not, its screen is beautiful!

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Having ur display show the right colors is something that you absolutely should not have to root it to fix let alone saying wait a year and then it will even out and look right.

Well , this is a developer phone addressed to those who like to tinker with their gadgets so rooting only comes natural for this device . The phone is anyway unlocked and rooting is as easy as installing an app . I for one see this as a really neat feature and not a disavantage, I can set the color temperature however I want if I wish to . Now , are you able to do this with your phone if for example wish for a warmer color scheme ?

B

bens42608

Well , this is a developer phone addressed to those who like to tinker with their gadgets so rooting only comes natural for this device . The phone is anyway unlocked and rooting is as easy as installing an app . I for one see this as a really neat feature and not a disavantage, I can set the color temperature however I want if I wish to . Now , are you able to do this with your phone if for example wish for a warmer color scheme ?

You see it as a neat feature that the display is screwed and you need to hack into it to tinker and try to fix it? Do you wish your tire was flat so you could have an enjoyable time fixing it? I really like my screen. There would be no advantages to changing it. And btw no matter how good of a programmer you are, there's no possible amount of tinkering you could do to fix the color blotches that come with amoled nor can you keep the colors from burning out over time. And a warmer color scheme? My lcd colors are true to real life and I wouldn't want to make everything a fake warmer color.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
You see it as a neat feature that the display is screwed and you need to hack into it to tinker and try to fix it? Do you wish your tire was flat so you could have an enjoyable time fixing it? I really like my screen. There would be no advantages to changing it. And btw no matter how good of a programmer you are, there's no possible amount of tinkering you could do to fix the color blotches that come with amoled nor can you keep the colors from burning out over time. And a warmer color scheme? My lcd colors are true to real life and I wouldn't want to make everything a fake warmer color.

When you get a TV , computer monitor , laptop etc. usually you will adjust the color scheme to your liking , you have this option cause different people like different color schemes . On your phone you are stuck with the default setting . I think all the phones should have a way to calibrate the colors . On the Nexus however you will be able to set the colors how you want , that's a win in my book . It can be set to have the whites of the Bionic and it'll still have better blacks and crispness .

B

bens42608

When you get a TV , computer monitor , laptop etc. usually you will adjust the color scheme to your liking , you have this option cause different people like different color schemes . On your phone you are stuck with the default setting . I think all the phones should have a way to calibrate the colors . On the Nexus however you will be able to set the colors how you want , that's a win in my book . It can be set to have the whites of the Bionic and it'll still have better blacks and crispness .

The only thing you should have to adjust on a brand new tv is brightness. And you think you can just set an amoled screen to just HAVE a white pixel where there wasn't one before like magic? If it doesn't have one then it doesn't have one.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score

Lol it's the other way around!!! The rezound has the nice LCD display and the bionic has the terrible amoled/tft (?) display.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Last edited:
B

bens42608

Lol it's the other way around!!!

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

No it's not. That was ridiculous comparing the lcd bionic display with an old fuzzy tv. I get nothing but compliments about how good my screen looks. Have you ever read any of the other threads about amoled screens ? The blotchy screens green tint can't see it outside, they start to burn out and certain colors fade and shift....