Amiga Rises from the Ashes with Android Tablets

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amiga-tablets.JPG

For many of you, this company name will be like a strange whisper from the past... Amiga, original retailers of the Commodore 64, and various Amiga branded computers before the heyday of PCs and Macs, is back from the dead with a new device that happens to be an inexpensive Android tablet. The now resurrected company plans to offer a 7-Inch Android tablet for only $98 bucks, and in fact, it appears from the press release that they have some other Android tablets too. This tab's specs will not break any records, but should prove worthy of the ultra-cheap price:
  • 7-Inch
  • 720MHz processor
  • Multi-touch resistive touchscreen
  • 4 GB storage
  • Wi-Fi
  • Android 2.2
It's a breath of fresh air to see this company reawakening, although this is not exactly the same Amiga as before. Apparently, from doing a bit of digging, the old PC company, Gateway 2000 bought all the old Amiga patents and trademarks, and this new Amiga, Inc. company has licensed them. What do you think? Here's the press release below:
Amiga Tablet under $ 100.00!

Amiga Launches new 7” Android Tablet for USD $ 98.00!

Add USB Keyboard and case for a price of USD $ 118.00!

Amiga adds to their family of Android Tablets with the release of their new Amiga Xpedio 7MTB for $ 98.00.

October 28, 2011 – Seattle, WA. – Amiga extends their family of Android Tablets with the immediate release and availability of their new Xpedio 7MTB for only $ 98.00. This new offering includes a 720Mhz processor, Mulit-Touch Screen, WiFi, 4GB memory, Flash, and Android 2.2. Customers can add keyboard and case for an additional $ 20.00 bringing the entire price to $ 118.00.

This new offering is in addition to their already announced special pricing and availability of their Android based tablets. These fully equipped devices include 8GB Memory, Samsung A8 Processors, 512MB Ram, MicroSD for up to 32GB Extra expansion, HDTV, USB, and Camera.

Amiga now offers the Xpedio 7 MTB for $ 98.00, the 7 MT for $ 189.00, and the 10 MT for $ 289.00.

These special prices are only good on orders from today through November 7th, 2011, and all orders placed during that time will be delivered before December 25th, 2011.

For more information or to place an order visit www.amiga.com/shop
Source: Amiga.com

Last edited:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hahaha Comical. I should bring back Enron just because i want name recognition. Anyone want to buy in?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Does it do the bouncing ball in several windows at once?
Other wise, wut? Who cares?

chewy74

Reaction score
someone go buy one and do a write up/review on it...

the price is tempting, but i always get burnt with the "you get what you pay for" saying each time i do this....

rjenk

Reaction score
FYI on the write up...Amiga was not the retailer of the Commodore 64. Amiga was a separate company that developed the A1000 and Commodore bought them out. Once Commodore Amiga went belly up, the Amiga name was passed around to several different companies in various parts of the world, none of which has seen much success even when attempting to modernize the OS and computer line. Too bad, as it really was a great computer and OS. For a system running <8MHz, it could multitask its butt off.

Sorry to hijack...

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Someone on another forum (totally different then this one) bought a $100 Andoird tablet from CVS and said it worked fine.
I didn't want an expensive one so I bought a $200 Android tablet, a Cruz T301. Works fine for what I want it for.

But yes, you do get what you pay for (in most cases). I could see this one just for kids or as an eReader with some games on it.

chewy74

Reaction score
So how would something like this fair against a nook color rooted with CM7?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Costs less then Nook and you don't need to root to get Android on it. Some of us don't want to root.

Sent from my Droid1 using DroidForums

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Nook color is $200... while this device is $98 the nook is a much better investment. Also if you go to Amiga site their x10 (which is over 200) is way better than that $98 pirce of doodoo. The resistive touch screen is a joke. The cpu WM8650 is made by Wondermedia. Its runs at 600mhz so in the above when it says 720mhz,that must mean this thing is overclocked from the gate. However im not worried about clockspeed here because that is irrelevant when you get into these cheapy cpu. This does not run the same as say the D1's 600 mhz cpu which is a TI OMAP. Itl be slow and laggy becuase its just not made that good. I love it when these company throw out some clock speeds and expect people to by in that its on par with other cpus with the same speeds. Its just not very effcient. If you bought this device you be happy when you first got it, then when you opened it you would be like "Well it is just $98 i guess" ten youd play with it once and try to do a task which would just end up making you mad becuase of the slowness and you would set it in your closet. it would be found in your closet 80 years later by your great grand kids who are now cleaning out your stuff and when they find it they will also try to play with it...they would then say wow look at this technology, i bet this was primo stuff back in the day. So now that you have downed our generation for buying this cheap device you should just consider a better alternative. A bad device will always be bad. Buy a good device that is older. That older device is still better than the new crap device. A d1 is like $70 and while its not 7 inches it can perform way better than this $98 tab and it has better guts. Nook is always a good solid option if you want a tab cuz its cheap and still has decent hardware. D1 and nook are hackable and have a community behind them. Thats just my take for somebody seriously contemplating about this device...

Last edited:

nodak102

Reaction score
The original developers of the Amiga were also responsible for the Atari 800 computer in the late 70s

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

chewy74

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Ilikemoney

debdroid1a

Reaction score
The Nook color is $200... while this device is $98 the nook is a much better investment. Also if you go to Amiga site their x10 (which is over 200) is way better than that $98 pirce of doodoo. The resistive touch screen is a joke. The cpu WM8650 is made by Wondermedia. Its runs at 600mhz so in the above when it says 720mhz,that must mean this thing is overclocked from the gate. However im not worried about clockspeed here because that is irrelevant when you get into these cheapy cpu. This does not run the same as say the D1's 600 mhz cpu which is a TI OMAP. Itl be slow and laggy becuase its just not made that good. I love it when these company throw out some clock speeds and expect people to by in that its on par with other cpus with the same speeds. Its just not very effcient. If you bought this device you be happy when you first got it, then when you opened it you would be like "Well it is just $98 i guess" ten youd play with it once and try to do a task which would just end up making you mad becuase of the slowness and you would set it in your closet. it would be found in your closet 80 years later by your great grand kids who are now cleaning out your stuff and when they find it they will also try to play with it...they would then say wow look at this technology, i bet this was primo stuff back in the day. So now that you have downed our generation for buying this cheap device you should just consider a better alternative. A bad device will always be bad. Buy a good device that is older. That older device is still better than the new crap device. A d1 is like $70 and while its not 7 inches it can perform way better than this $98 tab and it has better guts. Nook is always a good solid option if you want a tab cuz its cheap and still has decent hardware. D1 and nook are hackable and have a community behind them. Thats just my take for somebody seriously contemplating about this device...

The color nook is $249 at Barnes & Noble. Where are you getting $200? Used.. referbished...
Plus you need a card for the rooting.

And since you haven't tried this $98 tablet, you have no idea if it's better then the Droid 1 (but probably isn't). After a few years my Droid 1 is laggy, the home screen doesn't come up after I exit an App, it keeps saying Low on Space or Memory (so I had to remove all my internet bookmarks and clear my internet cache because that's when it says that and that is not fun, I want to go to may favorite internet sites. Now I have to google to find them them, reenter my password, etc... it's a pain. Then I have to clear my cache again... rince and repeat.)

I tried reading in on my Droid 1, reading on a 7" tablet is MUCH better. Trust me.

I got my tablet, Cruz T301 because I knew I could get Kindle on it. I was using Kindle on my phone and had an Amazon account, so that was what I needed. Not Barnes and Noble, so I wasn't even looking at the Nook. Luckily my tablet came with the Kindle App preinstalled. That's what I wanted.

This little $98 tablet would be good for those on my budget (like me, I would have tried a $100 tablet if I could have found one, tried to get a $179 Coby but it was sold out). Maybe for kids to read books on, play a few games and just have a tablet in general.

I get no more frustration form my tablet then I do my Droid 1 phone. Actually I think I do more on my phone since I have 3G on my phone and use it more. These small, inexpensive tablets aren't meant to be used like an iPad. That's the Xoom.

Last edited:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The color nook is $249 at Barnes & Noble. Where are you getting $200? Used.. referbished...
Plus you need a card for the rooting.

And since you haven't tried this $98 tablet, you have no idea if it's better then the Droid 1 (but probably isn't). After a few years my Droid 1 is laggy, the home screen doesn't come up after I exit an App, it keeps saying Low on Space or Memory (so I had to remove all my internet bookmarks and clear my internet cache because that's when it says that and that is not fun, I want to go to may favorite internet sites. Now I have to google to find them them, reenter my password, etc... it's a pain. Then I have to clear my cache again... rince and repeat.)

I tried reading in on my Droid 1, reading on a 7" tablet is MUCH better. Trust me.

I got my tablet, Cruz T301 because I knew I could get Kindle on it. I was using Kindle on my phone and had an Amazon account, so that was what I needed. Not Barnes and Noble, so I wasn't even looking at the Nook. Luckily my tablet came with the Kindle App preinstalled. That's what I wanted.

This little $98 tablet would be good for those on my budget (like me, I would have tried a $100 tablet if I could have found one, tried to get a $179 Coby but it was sold out). Maybe for kids to read books on, play a few games and just have a tablet in general.

I get no more frustration form my tablet then I do my Droid 1 phone. Actually I think I do more on my phone since I have 3G on my phone and use it more. These small, inexpensive tablets aren't meant to be used like an iPad. That's the Xoom.
200 is now the price at bestbuy. They lowered it over the weekend since just announced the new nook tab. I know a 7inch is better at reading, but a resistive screen is not better at doing anything. And haha your complaining about your d1, which is hilarious to me because your saying this $98 tablet could be better but i know its not by looking at the stats. That D1 is way better than the $98 tablet in its stats. So your rinse and repeat thing will be multiplied by this tablet. Here is a thought. Why is it laggy? How about fixing your D1 right? My rooted phone is still as fast as the day i got it. When i start having problems with a rom, i flash another. Using how pathetic your D1 acts as a way to up a cheap device is not a good way to go. The D1 clearly has better specs than the Amiga. It was a high quality device 2 years ago. If you treat her right shell do what she use to do. This cheap tablet on the other hand is low quality, and specs suck on it. It will never perform at a high quality level. I dont see how that would be better than the nook in any case. Nook is cheap, it is also a pretty solid device. If your just really into hacking mounting a sd card is no biggy. You could by an adapter for less than 3 bucks off ebay if you dont already have one. o_O Im all about cheap, im the guy that wont even vidit a soda machine because its a rip off. But at a certain point their becomes a price that is to cheap. So cheap that the hardware put together isnt really a productive. Sometimes putting out for the normal price for things is just worth it. I would say an average of the popular tablets lately has been a solid 400. All motos and galaxies are at or over 500 when they come out. Their prices change every now and then but 400 is the number between the cheap and the premium. The $200 nook is considerably cheaper than all of those. the $200 fire isnt that bad either. Those are still cheap devices, but they are ok overall. anything lower than that is going to be resitive, buying cheap cpu, and putting worse components inside than are the standard for nowadays. I still go along with what i said before, even for your kids. Its going to be fun when you first get it, but once u start playing around on it you will find out its an epic fail. you might as well put out 200 instead of 100 since the device is a low quality build you will go through a few of them as well. buy cheap, you'll receive cheap. ;) once your kids go through a couple of them it would have been better to just gotten the nook.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
200 is now the price at bestbuy. They lowered it over the weekend since just announced the new nook tab. I know a 7inch is better at reading, but a resistive screen is not better at doing anything. And haha your complaining about your d1, which is hilarious to me because your saying this $98 tablet could be better but i know its not by looking at the stats. That D1 is way better than the $98 tablet in its stats. So your rinse and repeat thing will be multiplied by this tablet. Here is a thought. Why is it laggy? How about fixing your D1 right? My rooted phone is still as fast as the day i got it. When i start having problems with a rom, i flash another. Using how pathetic your D1 acts as a way to up a cheap device is not a good way to go. The D1 clearly has better specs than the Amiga. It was a high quality device 2 years ago. If you treat her right shell do what she use to do. This cheap tablet on the other hand is low quality, and specs suck on it. It will never perform at a high quality level. I dont see how that would be better than the nook in any case. Nook is cheap, it is also a pretty solid device. If your just really into hacking mounting a sd card is no biggy. You could by an adapter for less than 3 bucks off ebay if you dont already have one. o_O Im all about cheap, im the guy that wont even vidit a soda machine because its a rip off. But at a certain point their becomes a price that is to cheap. So cheap that the hardware put together isnt really a productive. Sometimes putting out for the normal price for things is just worth it. I would say an average of the popular tablets lately has been a solid 400. All motos and galaxies are at or over 500 when they come out. Their prices change every now and then but 400 is the number between the cheap and the premium. The $200 nook is considerably cheaper than all of those. the $200 fire isnt that bad either. Those are still cheap devices, but they are ok overall. anything lower than that is going to be resitive, buying cheap cpu, and putting worse components inside than are the standard for nowadays. I still go along with what i said before, even for your kids. Its going to be fun when you first get it, but once u start playing around on it you will find out its an epic fail. you might as well put out 200 instead of 100 since the device is a low quality build you will go through a few of them as well. buy cheap, you'll receive cheap. ;) once your kids go through a couple of them it would have been better to just gotten the nook.

I missed the announcement of the Nook Color going down in price. Same as the Amazon Kindle, which I would get before this $98 one if I had the money, if not then a $98 one might just fit the bill.

As I said before, I'm one of those that do NOT want to root. And I'm not doing that with my D1. I do treat her right. Thisis the second one I've had since May 2010 (first one stopped completely when I was using the barcode app to scan at the store, that was around February). No scratches and this second one didn't fit the cover I had for it, so it's not even covered up.

My inexpensive $200 tablet is fine. I play games on it. I can't get Angry Birds, but I have a pineball game, memory match game, unblock me from Amazon Appstore, solitaire... I can also watch movies on it. But mostly for reading my Kindle content.

Sometimes if you know you're buying cheap, you know you'll get cheap and that's fine with me. I buy somethings cheap and know they won't perform as well as expensive items. And that's fine. Hopefully those who are buying into this know what they're getting into. But just because you buy cheap doesn't mean you'll go through a bunch of them. You can't know that until you do that and it may only be your experience too.