AMC vs Regal vs Carmike

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by pc747, Jul 8, 2017.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Growing up I remember going to the local Carmike theaters but lately it's either Regal or AMC.

Regal theaters tend to have the more comfortable seats as far as standard but many of the AMC theaters I have been to seem to have the "extras", whether it be a bar area to get a few cocktails before the film, the ability to purchase alcoholic drinks, recliners, etc. But the "standard" seating feels more cramp as to "encourage" buying the recliners seats. And the Carmike theaters I have seen lately seems to be the bottom to last choice.

Now I know that these observations are based on location so I'm curious which theaters seem to be the best for you guys at your location?[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,254
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    I don't go to the theater very often, I mostly wait until it's out on DVD / streaming, but my wife and daughters go to the movies quite a bit. They prefer the AMC theater in town. Mainly because of the annual popcorn bucket (saves a lot of $$$) and they feel it's cleaner and more comfortable than the Carmike theater where we live.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,023
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I can't remember the last time I went to the movies. It's definitely over 15yrs lol

Sent using Tapatalk

4. me just sayin

me just sayin Silver Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +504
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    last time I went to the movies I saw The Da Vinci Code. It was at a Malco :)

5. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Those that haven't been in a while wait for like a blockbuster movie and go to one of these premium theaters. Yeah I know you could save money on the couch but you miss out of the group interaction (the oohs, aaahhhhs, and hahas).

Many of these premium theaters make it worth it and bring the home feel with the going out with the family atmosphere. Plus they are less tolerant of the "disruptive". [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. me just sayin

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +504
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    the problem with theaters in my area is the closet one is about an hour away and it is just a Malco in a college town. It would be nice if there were premium theaters available - maybe I would go again. In the meantime I been getting the latest movies on dvds or netflix and watching from a recliner with cheap popcorn and dr pepper.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Good point, and no matter how premium a theater not worth the hour trip, especially with you having to drive back afterwards.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Gold Member

Ratings:
    +311
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    AMC here, the reclining love seats and reserved seating are the top 2 reasons. Highly unlikely to ever go to a non- reserved seating theatre anytime soon. The fact they are the most reasonably priced doesn't hurt either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. me just sayin

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +504
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    out of curiosity , how much is a movie ticket to a AMC with that type of luxury

10. IIGood

IIGood Silver Member

Ratings:
    +277
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S6
    Not a big theater-goer here either...although any Star Wars movie is a "must see in theaters" for me. But have been to the theater a few times in the past few months however.

Around here, we've got AMC, Regal, or Bow Tie. I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Wonder Woman with some friends at the big fancy AMC theater about an hour away in northern Virginia. Nice theater with the reserved seating, reclining seats, 4D experience, IMAX, etc. Tickets there are pretty pricey too...I think I paid $19 each for a 2 pm Saturday showing.

Closer to home here in Annapolis, the 2 theaters are both Bow Tie. The newer theater of the two was originally built with stadium seating so that was a big deal when it first opened up. Does not have IMAX. This theater is in the Annapolis Mall. Last week my girlfriend and I went there with her niece and nephew and discovered that they are in the process of overhauling the auditoriums and converting them to the reclining seats with little tray tables and reserved seating. Still no IMAX or 4D though. No biggie. Ticket prices have of course increased but only by $2. So the matinee show we went to see that day was now $10.50 and a regular showing would be $12.50 (for standard movie, no 3D). I heard that the other Bow Tie theater "across town" is also converting to the new stadium reclining setup...which will be a pretty impressive feat since that theater was built the old-school way back in the early '90s.

To me, it doesn't make a difference which cinema company is which. I'm not picky...I do at least prefer the stadium-seating now though. And now, being able to reserve your seats is nice too.

11. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Gold Member

Ratings:
    +311
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    A regular movie "Digital" is $11 while "Real 3D" is $13.

While a Regal at the popular shopping center is $12 for a movie and almost $20 for their "IMAX" which isn't a true IMAX theater.

#11 CTownDroid, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  12. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Yeah I went to a Regal theater once that tried to do that. They advertised IMAX and then once the movie started the curtains came down and you got a message that said "IMAX experience like in standard format" or something like that. Yeah people walked right out to the ticket counter demanding a refund as they were charging IMAX money for a standard movie ($21+ vs $11). I haven't been back to that particular theater.

I will say that yeah you are paying a premium for the reserved reclining love seats but if you have the money to spend it is worth it. At first I didn't like the reserve seating concept when it first came out and in instances where it is standard stadium seating I at times don't see the value, but with the reclining seat, yup. To me it just adds to the experience of a good movie/blockbuster. I would not pay that type of money for every movie I see in the theater. Movies that I saw that got a lot of buzz but are not "blockbusters" (ie docudramas) I'll do the standard seating matinee if I don't just wait for it to come to digital. Which most of the time if they are not a blockbuster type movie Ill just wait for it to go digital and catch it via Google Play movie.

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page

amc theatres