Amazon's Smartphone Being Announced Tomorrow; May Be AT&T Exclusive

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon_smartphone_concept.jpeg

As we have reported previously, Amazon is planning a big press announcement tomorrow. All of the intel points to a new smartphone being announced by the online retailer. Obviously this device will be designed to offer one more "incentive" for Amazon's customers to stick with the Amazon ecosystem for all of their purchasing needs. Despite this, according to a new report from the Wall Street Journal, Amazon has inked an exclusive deal with AT&T, and (at least initially) that will be the only carrier for the new Amazon smartphone.

Along with this device, Amazon will supposedly be announcing their "Prime Data" package. This is just a fancy name for their smartphone data pricing plan. The main advantage of it will be its ability to stream free Prime videos and music which do not apply toward users’ data caps. Additionally, as we reported earlier, it is likely that the Amazon smartphone will include a unique 3D feature which uses multiple small cameras to create a unique effect.

Amazon themselves released a teaser ad about it, although they didn't actually show the feature, just people's reaction to it. What do you think of this news? If the Amazon phone really is an AT&T exclusive, will it get enough marketshare to become a competitive force, or do you think Amazon's plan is simply to test the waters for now?

We will bring you all the news on the Amazon press conference tomorrow as the event unfolds.

Source: WSJ

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I find it interesting that Amazon signed an exclusive with AT&T. Why limit your market? Unless, AT&T contributed to the development cost. Never the less, Amazon with sell a ton of them.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I find it interesting that Amazon signed an exclusive with AT&T. Why limit your market? Unless, AT&T contributed to the development cost. Never the less, Amazon with sell a ton of them.

Typically in these type of releases, people who have no business being in the phone market (IMO) usually get help with hardware development. I could be wrong though. Also, AT&T is a whole lot more flexible on what phones are allowed on their networks. Also, being GSM networks, they are required to accept all GSM compatible phones that support their spectrum.

Can't wait to seen what sales look like after the first quarter.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A ui much like that of a Fire but in a phone?
No thanks

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
About as good as the Facebook phone (HTC First).

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I think this phone will flop just like the Facebook phone. Just because we all love to surf and buy from Amazon doesn't mean we want a smartphone tied into that ecosystem. I don't see a market for these types of phones. Amazon is a PC/Tablet/Mac/Kindle experinence.

I SHOULD wait until the press conference is over to judge this phone, but for now I'll leave my comments as is :big smile:

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with both points CK. Unless the special unique 3D feature really adds something more than just a "whiz-bang" gimmick, then I can't see how this phone will succeed.

Of course, for it to be successful for Amazon, it may not need to sell a ton. It's possible that even moderate sales will accomplish their goal of locking even more people into their ecosystem.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with both points CK. Unless the special unique 3D feature really adds something more than just a "whiz-bang" gimmick, then I can't see how this phone will succeed.

Of course, for it to be successful for Amazon, it may not need to sell a ton. It's possible that even moderate sales will accomplish their goal of locking even more people into their ecosystem.

Even the next whiz bang camera will be on a near future phone and 3 years from now iPhone will reinvent it and claim it as new

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I work for a local ISP. When the Kindle Fire came out, we had TONS of customers, mostly older folks, call in because they did not know how to set up their email accounts. We use Google Apps for email for our customers. You set it up just like any Gmail account.

People might just buy it because it says Amazon on it. Most people don't care because Amazon is familiar to them and they like it.

I wonder how the OEM is. With any luck, it will be like a Pantech or some other brand.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Could not agree more. The 3D really needs to deliver something unique, useful and impressive. I have to be honest, I'm really looking forward to the unveil.