Amazon vs Android Market

roboblazer

Reaction score
I loaded Ulysse Speedometer (free) from the Android Market and have been using it daily. I decided to go for the Pro version to support their cause. I saw that it was available at Amazon so I downloaded it from there only to discover that it's missing some of the coolest features found in the free one.

Is this the downside to buying though Amazon, or will it eventually update? Their site said it was updated Sept. 24th.
How do updates work from Amazon?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

lemodular

Reaction score
open the Amazon app and click on the menu to go to "My Apps", there, click on the "Update Available" tab on top; if there is an update it will be there.

OP
roboblazer

roboblazer

Reaction score
I see that option there, but there is no update available.
That's the bizarre thing. I know there is one though because the free version is up-to-date and the Market shows the date of Sept. 24. I'm tempted to uninstall it and go with the Market's version to see if there's a difference.

Could it be the Pro has less options baked in?

lemodular

Reaction score
sorry, not familiar with the app but sometimes a free version is numbered differently than a paid one. If you uninstall the paid app to try the free one, the paid app will still be available for download in your amazon app to reinstall later.

REMilk

Reaction score
My experience is that frequently app updates appear in the App Market several days prior to being available in the Amazon AppStore. I think this is 'developer' dependent as updates to some apps appear at nearly the same time in both locations.

As lemodular stated, if you uninstall the 'purchased' version, and later decide to reinstall it, even on another device, it will be there for you.

Bob

OP
roboblazer

roboblazer

Reaction score
I know it's only two bucks, but I really wanted to get to the root of this. The update to the story is that I contacted Amazon support. They blamed the developer for the discrepancy and suggested that I contact them and cuss them out. The cool thing is that they hooked me up with a five dollar credit. Now i'm in the black by three! I suppose the lesson here is that all app stores are not created equal, but Amazon is trying to get better.