Amazon to Release New Kindle With Rechargeable Protective Case

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Jeffrey, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    [​IMG]
    Amazon will soon sell a higher-end Kindle with a rechargeable protective case for extended battery life, according to the WSJ. This removable cover will allow the Kindle to be thinner than earlier devices.

Amazon’s chief executive, Jeff Bezos, said Monday on Twitter that an “all-new, top of the line Kindle” is almost ready, and promised the company would reveal details next week.

Under development is a separate Kindle case with a battery that can be charged using solar power. It is unlikely this case will be released in the immediate future.

The new Kindle and case are code-named “Whiskey” and “Soda,” respectively, and the solar-powered case is known internally as “Sunkiss” among engineers at Lab126, Amazon’s Silicon Valley hardware development lab.

Prices have not been announced.

Visit our Amazon Discussion Thread
    Amazon General Discussions

Source: engadget

2. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    I have a Kindle Voyage and love it. I can't imagine a thinner Kindle. Mine is pretty thin as it is. Battery life is great too. I'll keep mine though, it wasn't a cheap one and not really something I would have the need to upgrade either. My wife however needs a new Kindle. Hers has a few bright spots on the screen where a dog may have chewed on it and thankfully didn't actually break the screen.

3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I wore out the battery on my first 2 Paperwhite Kindles and got a Voyage with the last replacement. After the 3rd generation Paperwhite I also picked one of those up as well.
    I agree,I don't see any thinner being beneficial as I put a cover on all of mine because I find them too thin already and I only use covers with a built in hand hold.
    I hope Amazon releases a solar cover for their existing models when they release the one for their newest Kindle. Though they claim 40 hours of battery life i usually get about half that and read about 2 hours a day so I typically charge mine about every 10 days . A solar charger would be handy to have but I wouldn't pay the exorbitant prices they usually ask for their brand of cover when aftermarket ones are usually better at less than half the price.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><