Amazon Super-Sale for Motorola Droid 3: Only $70 Bucks New-Contract; $130 Renewal

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-droid-3-full.jpg

It would appear that Verizon isn't the only one that wants to sell off their inventory of the new Motorola Droid 3 very quickly, probably to make room for the Droid Bionic just around the corner. Amazon has a crazy deal on the new phone too. You can get the Droid 3 from Amazon for only $69.99 on a new contract, or $129.99 for a renewal contract. Previously, one of our posters inadvertently indicated that the Droid 3 uses an NVIDIA chipset, which is inaccurate, but here is a refresher on the primary specs (just for the sake of clarity):
  • TI OMAP dual-core chipset clocked at 1GHz
  • 4-inch display with qHD resolution
  • 5-row full QWERTY keyboard
  • 8-megapixel camera capable of shooting 1080p full HD video
This phone looks like a powerful choice for those who do a lot of high-speed texting and prefer a QWERTY keyboard.

Source: PhoneArena and AmazonWireless

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Why exactly are they selling it off quickly? Is there a reason or just to make money as they tend to do? Wondering if a new phone is coming out very soon or if there is something wrong with the phone.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
For a new account or line, that's a great deal. If you're upgrading and have a Costco membership, they're hawking it for $100 on a 2-year renewal.

Why exactly are they selling it off quickly? Is there a reason or just to make money as they tend to do? Wondering if a new phone is coming out very soon or if there is something wrong with the phone.

This doesn't surprise me given the retail price doesn't even break $500. Keeping in mind that this isn't a top-of-the-line phone. Heck, VZW is doing BOGO less than a week after store launch

Gillyanne

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VZW Note 3
For a new account or line, that's a great deal. If you're upgrading and have a Costco membership, they're hawking it for $100 on a 2-year renewal.

Do you happen to know how the costco works in regards to the membership? Does the name on the VZW account to renew have to be the same as the costco account? We have sam's club, not costco; we've also been waiting for a BoGO for the X2 and/or D3. I see the BTS BoGo but it's for new only, so this is basically just the same (still $200 out of the pocket) so I'm curious if we can purchase on a friends costco acct, but on our vzw account (just like we could go buy our 100 rolls of TP with them in the store as long as they check out).

Fuzzball

Reaction score

Do you happen to know how the costco works in regards to the membership? Does the name on the VZW account to renew have to be the same as the costco account? We have sam's club, not costco; we've also been waiting for a BoGO for the X2 and/or D3. I see the BTS BoGo but it's for new only, so this is basically just the same (still $200 out of the pocket) so I'm curious if we can purchase on a friends costco acct, but on our vzw account (just like we could go buy our 100 rolls of TP with them in the store as long as they check out).

I believe you can use your friend's membership if you go in store; I don't know if it would work out over their website since I haven't gone that route. In store, the account and purchase processes are separate.

Maverick0984

Reaction score

This doesn't surprise me given the retail price doesn't even break $500. Keeping in mind that this isn't a top-of-the-line phone. Heck, VZW is doing BOGO less than a week after store launch

If the D3 isn't a top of the line phone, what is on VZW exactly then? It's the most powerful device they have right now, and will mirror the Bionic in performance.

All 4G current phones are single core. And I'm sorry, but an inefficient LTE radio that kills your battery when paired with a power hungry dual core is going to be the death of the Bionic. Not to mention the near tablet size.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I'm opposed to say LTE being the best has something to do with the RED Droid eye...
Red is actually commonly associated with speed (see bad drivers, most of them drive RED CARS, fast too). So I guess customers want the fastest devices/internet? As the orks say, "Da red unz go fasta!" :laugh:

JRizEJ6

Reaction score

the deal in that link specifically states that its online only. i havent even touched the phone yet but im heading out later to check one out in store. if i like it, ill definitely be using that costco deal. thanks for posting that Gillyanne

soops

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Gonna have to convince the wife to give up her LG envy & save my upcoming upgrades.

Sent from my Droid

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Gonna have to convince the wife to give up her LG envy & save my upcoming upgrades.

Sent from my Droid

She's going to want the Droid.
After she sees what it can do over the LGeNV. Trust me :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

kota

Reaction score
damn I want... makes my R2D2 looks like the busted R5 unit uncle ben was going to buy from the Jawas

soops

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

She's going to want the Droid.
After she sees what it can do over the LGeNV. Trust me :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Oh, I know she will love D3, but she doesn't want to pay for a data package. Her Envy Touch is still running strong after 2 yr & quite dependable so I think I've just got to let her play w/the demo unit...

warped1987

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how Amazons Renewal Contract works.

I am only 7ish months into my new VZW contract, does the Amazon Renewal Contract price mean I can renew my contract and have my 2 year contract date start now?

I have been wanting a D3 forever so I can get rid of my D2G but can't afford full retail.

Reaction score
Would Verizon refund/pricematch this for us "loyal" customers who bought it in-store/online?