Amazon Officially Announces New Tablets; 8.9" Kindle Fire HD & More

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 6, 2012.

1. jayman350

jayman350 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    very interesting changes to the kindle fire lineup. they appear to have taken care of two of my bigger concerns about the kf, storage space and ram. out of the box, the kindle fire is a decent little device (even now that its been out for a year or so) but definitely has its drawbacks (amazon appstore being the largest, followed closely by space).

I doubt that i will be picking up the successor to the kf, seeing as how full-blown tablets are about the same price (Nexus 7 I'm looking at you), and there is still a good amount of development going on for the original KF (got Jelly Bean up and running on it now).

Nice looking devices, it will be interesting to see how much they drive market pricing for future android tablets coming out.

edit: looks like the KF HD will have a micro-HDMI port, which is very nice. I just wish they added some sort of volume rocker to these devices, it can be like a 5 step process to turn the volume down depending on what app you are using at the time.

#25 jayman350, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  2. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +4,258
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Second time this was asked and no one replied. Bunch of slackers.
    Yes, the original KF has been rooted. I just helped a friend root hers last week. Got GO Launcher running on it.
    I have no doubt the HD one will be, too.

I am a bit surprised the 16GB + 4G adds $200 to the price. Betting they don't move a ton of those...

3. GBH2

GBH2 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, that is correct. OMAP 4470 CPU is 2 Cortex A9 cores plus 2 low power Cortex M3 cores that can deal with non-intensive tasks to minimize overall power usage. The Tegra 3 CPU is actually made up of 5 cores 4 Main Cortex A9 cores plus a 5th Cortex A9 core that is clocked very low and handles non-intensive tasks to lessen power usage.

However, the CPU portion of the OMAP 4470 SOC is still considered a dual-core and Tegra 3 is consider a quad core as there are 2 or 4 powerful cores, respectively, which are available which perform intensive processing operations.

4. Andielyn

Andielyn Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Two features I wanted to see in particular, Bluetooth and HDMI output. I had to drill down a but in the specs to find it but yes the HD models have both.

Plus how cool is out that you can sync sync an ebook with the audiobook and pick up right where you left off. If I didn't already have two Fires and a kindle keyboard and had money to blow my order would have been in last night. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR

5. acousticshade

acousticshade Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't find good reliable intel on that chip for some reason.

Interesting that it would be comparable to the t3. Most reporters say the fire is a tad sluggish compared to the n7. Guess that just goes to show you how much google has optimized their os lately.

6. acousticshade

acousticshade Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Or it could be a bit sluggish because the 7" version is using an older chip and only its big brother has the newer technology. I doubt the benchmarks for either unit will match the n7, but we'll see when they come out.

Search tags for this page

kindle fire hd 159.99

kindle fire hd 8.9 inch 159.99