Amazon Officially Announces New Tablets; 8.9" Kindle Fire HD & More

GBH2

Reaction score
I don't think that's correct. The 4470 is a single core while the T3 is quad core. It will probably be faster for single core stuff like surfing but would get bogged down with games or multitasking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The TI OMAP 4470 is ARM Cortex A9 architecture, same as the Tegra 3. It has a Dual-core CPU as opposed to the Quad-core of the Tegra 3. The TI OMAP 4470 SOC has the same CPU as the OMAP 4430 it is however clocked much higher and includes a much better version of the Imagination Technologies GPU - I believe it is the PowerVR SGX544.

I would expect it to have better Graphics performance than the Tegra 3 but not have quite the CPU "grunt" as the Tegra 3. Overall, the TI OMAP 4470 will probably be a solid performer.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
The TI OMAP 4470 is ARM Cortex A9 architecture, same as the Tegra 3. It has a Dual-core CPU as opposed to the Quad-core of the Tegra 3. The TI OMAP 4470 SOC has the same CPU as the OMAP 4430 it is however clocked much higher and includes a much better version of the Imagination Technologies GPU - I believe it is the PowerVR SGX544.

I would expect it to have better Graphics performance than the Tegra 3 but not have quite the CPU "grunt" as the Tegra 3. Overall, the TI OMAP 4470 will probably be a solid performer.

actually what i found says its 4 cores- 2 main ones and 2 low power ones

Quick look at the Texas Instruments TI OMAP 4470 CPU, Kindle Fire HD CPU | ARCTABLET NEWS

combat_chuck

Reaction score
Okay that's good news I think. I would probably wait to see a benchmark though. Do we know if it can be rooted? was the original Kindle Fire ever rooted?

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
Ill probably get one if they release a keyboard cover case for it. Im trying to find something to substitute me carrying around a 17" laptop. Only big requirements are that it will run some sort of app that is compatible with MS Office and has a keyboard that can be used with it. Typing papers on a touch screen is not fun.

This looks like it might be perfect for me.

B

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ill probably get one if they release a keyboard cover case for it. Im trying to find something to substitute me carrying around a 17" laptop. Only big requirements are that it will run some sort of app that is compatible with MS Office and has a keyboard that can be used with it. Typing papers on a touch screen is not fun.

This looks like it might be perfect for me.

B

If the Fire ends up not supporting a Bluetooth keyboard the Nexus7 has some case/keyboard combos available and is certainly no slouch of a device.
On my tablets I run an app called Splashtop and use my desktop from my tablet remotely instead of using an app to mimic MS Office.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
If the Fire ends up not supporting a Bluetooth keyboard the Nexus7 has some case/keyboard combos available and is certainly no slouch of a device.
On my tablets I run an app called Splashtop and use my desktop from my tablet remotely instead of using an app to mimic MS Office.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Thanks for that info i will keep that in mind.

B

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
Thanks for the question. Kindle Fire HD is able to wirelessly connect to peripheral devices such as speakers and keyboards via Bluetooth. Kindle Fire HD broadcasts Bluetooth connectivity up to a maximum of 30 meters, or approximately 100 feet.

Direct quote from a chat agent over at Amazon.com

B

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
also guys, small corrections to the front page.

the 8.9" tablet has the Dual-Core 1.5GHZ OMAP 4470 processor and the 7" tablet has the Dual-Core 1.2GHZ OMAP 4460 processor.

Also the 8.9" supports 1080p while the 7" only supports up to 720p

That info is taken directly from the amazon.com website

B

jayman350

Reaction score
very interesting changes to the kindle fire lineup. they appear to have taken care of two of my bigger concerns about the kf, storage space and ram. out of the box, the kindle fire is a decent little device (even now that its been out for a year or so) but definitely has its drawbacks (amazon appstore being the largest, followed closely by space).

I doubt that i will be picking up the successor to the kf, seeing as how full-blown tablets are about the same price (Nexus 7 I'm looking at you), and there is still a good amount of development going on for the original KF (got Jelly Bean up and running on it now).

Nice looking devices, it will be interesting to see how much they drive market pricing for future android tablets coming out.

edit: looks like the KF HD will have a micro-HDMI port, which is very nice. I just wish they added some sort of volume rocker to these devices, it can be like a 5 step process to turn the volume down depending on what app you are using at the time.

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
? was the original Kindle Fire ever rooted?

Second time this was asked and no one replied. Bunch of slackers.
Yes, the original KF has been rooted. I just helped a friend root hers last week. Got GO Launcher running on it.
I have no doubt the HD one will be, too.

I am a bit surprised the 16GB + 4G adds $200 to the price. Betting they don't move a ton of those...

GBH2

Reaction score
actually what i found says its 4 cores- 2 main ones and 2 low power ones

Quick look at the Texas Instruments TI OMAP 4470 CPU, Kindle Fire HD CPU | ARCTABLET NEWS

Yes, that is correct. OMAP 4470 CPU is 2 Cortex A9 cores plus 2 low power Cortex M3 cores that can deal with non-intensive tasks to minimize overall power usage. The Tegra 3 CPU is actually made up of 5 cores 4 Main Cortex A9 cores plus a 5th Cortex A9 core that is clocked very low and handles non-intensive tasks to lessen power usage.

However, the CPU portion of the OMAP 4470 SOC is still considered a dual-core and Tegra 3 is consider a quad core as there are 2 or 4 powerful cores, respectively, which are available which perform intensive processing operations.

Andielyn

Reaction score
Two features I wanted to see in particular, Bluetooth and HDMI output. I had to drill down a but in the specs to find it but yes the HD models have both.

Plus how cool is out that you can sync sync an ebook with the audiobook and pick up right where you left off. If I didn't already have two Fires and a kindle keyboard and had money to blow my order would have been in last night. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR

acousticshade

Reaction score
GBH2 said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't find good reliable intel on that chip for some reason.

Interesting that it would be comparable to the t3. Most reporters say the fire is a tad sluggish compared to the n7. Guess that just goes to show you how much google has optimized their os lately.

acousticshade

Reaction score
BJPalmer85 said:
also guys, small corrections to the front page.

the 8.9" tablet has the Dual-Core 1.5GHZ OMAP 4470 processor and the 7" tablet has the Dual-Core 1.2GHZ OMAP 4460 processor.

Also the 8.9" supports 1080p while the 7" only supports up to 720p

That info is taken directly from the amazon.com website

B

Or it could be a bit sluggish because the 7" version is using an older chip and only its big brother has the newer technology. I doubt the benchmarks for either unit will match the n7, but we'll see when they come out.