Amazon Kindle Fire Takes Top Spot for Android Tablets in Popularity

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
flurry-amzn-vs-samsung-tabletsessions-resized-600.png

According to the newest research from marketing research firm, Flurry, the Amazon Kindle Fire has moved past the Samsung Galaxy Tab as the most popular Android tablet. The new Kindle Fire grabbed 35.6% of the market, while the Galaxy Tab held on to 35.7%. This appears to be a close race to be sure, except of course that the Kindle Fire has only been out for 3 months, which makes its numbers seem even more impressive.

It's important to note that they based their research not on sales of the devices but on application session numbers from Android tablets, and then compared their use in November and January. Of course, if we take into account the numbers that we got from the Strategy Analytics research from last week, which showed that total Android tablet sales were around 10.5 Million, and that Amazon's Kindle Fire sold 6 Million, then we have another indicator that Flurry's research is fairly accurate. This would mean that roughly 60% of all Android tablet sales were from the Amazon Kindle Fire, and that was only during the last few months of the year. Impressive numbers indeed!

One last bit of interesting info that comes from their study is that Kindle Fire users are 2.5 times more likely to download paid apps than users of the Galaxy Tab. This isn't really that surprising considering the Amazon ecosystem that is inherent in the device and the culture that Amazon has created around themselves.

Source: Phonearena

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
While they didn't base the numbers off of sales it still seems to me that saving about $300 on the kindle fire compared to other android tablets doesn't hurt in making a device popular and gives the consumer more money to spend on apps. There is of course the Amazon factor which, like Apple, has devoted customers. A lot of the other android tablets haven't been marketed quite as well as the kindle fire either; I'm always seeing the kindle fire commercials on TV.

droidxd00d

Reaction score
I have a fire and for 200$ you really can't beat it for a 7in tablet. I'm getting a transformer prime as well though

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I have a fire and for 200$ you really can't beat it for a 7in tablet. I'm getting a transformer prime as well though

Pick up a prime for me while you're at it! :big smile:

droidxd00d

Reaction score
Sure send me the $ :) lol. I wish I was rich I would definitely send out gifts for people on here.

tc1

Reaction score
I have a fire and I don't think it as awesome as everyone else seems to think.

Worth 200 but I should have bought something like the prime.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

droidxd00d

Reaction score
I have a fire and I don't think it as awesome as everyone else seems to think.

Worth 200 but I should have bought something like the prime.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Well its kind of like you get what you pay for. For a 200 ereader its great. Its not meant to be like the prime or I pad 2.

chewy74

Reaction score
kindle fire doesnt come close to my 32 gb hp touchpad i picked up for $149 with CM9 alpha .5 :icon_ lala: