Amazon Increases Kindle Fire Orders From Manufacturer Due to High Demand

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-kindle-fire1-with-xmen-first-class-video.jpg

It really looks like the Amazon Kindle Fire is poised to be a massive success. Apparently, Amazon had to increase their orders from its manufacturing partners because of higher than expected demand. Supposedly, there are now more than 5 Million of the little Android tablets on order now. Last quarter, they had already increased their orders, but had to do so again this quarter before the launch of the device, on November 15th, just in time for this holiday season.

Source: Kindle-FireForum via BGR

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What I find fascinating is that the Fire has a 7" screen. As an owner of a Nook Color, my sense is that 7" is the right size for a lot of things, like eBooks, movies, and maybe email, games, and (some) web browsing.

But for me personally, I outgrew the 7" form-factor pretty fast. I'm enjoying the 10" (Asus Transformer) a lot more, and could probably live with an 8" screen. With the Nook, I found that I was resizing websites A LOT.

I wonder if 7" is really a sweet spot for so many people, or if it's more a "well, who can pass up a $199 tablet?" kind of thing?

OK, so here is my prediction: I think we're still in an "exploratory" phase, and it's not yet clear where the optimal tablet design is (yeah, yeah, spare me the "different strokes, different folks" speech!). BUT: if Apple decides to produce an iPad-mini (7" or 8" screen), we'll see the masses flock to that form-factor. Otherwise, I predict that a lot of Fire and Nook Tablet owners will be expressing frustration by early 2012 that their screens are just a tad too small (call it the Goldilocks phenomenon)!

-Matt

TheOldFart

Reaction score
What I find fascinating is that the Fire has a 7" screen. As an owner of a Nook Color, my sense is that 7" is the right size for a lot of things, like eBooks, movies, and maybe email, games, and (some) web browsing.

But for me personally, I outgrew the 7" form-factor pretty fast. I'm enjoying the 10" (Asus Transformer) a lot more, and could probably live with an 8" screen. With the Nook, I found that I was resizing websites A LOT.

I wonder if 7" is really a sweet spot for so many people, or if it's more a "well, who can pass up a $199 tablet?" kind of thing?

OK, so here is my prediction: I think we're still in an "exploratory" phase, and it's not yet clear where the optimal tablet design is (yeah, yeah, spare me the "different strokes, different folks" speech!). BUT: if Apple decides to produce an iPad-mini (7" or 8" screen), we'll see the masses flock to that form-factor. Otherwise, I predict that a lot of Fire and Nook Tablet owners will be expressing frustration by early 2012 that their screens are just a tad too small (call it the Goldilocks phenomenon)!

-Matt

I also have a NC and sometimes find the resolution too low for web browsing. For me, it is the resolution and not the screen size. While a 10 inch tablet with a 1280x800 resolution is great for reading, I think it is too big to comfortably carry around and hold for long. A 7 inch tablet is the best compromise IMO. What I would find the best compromise would be a 7 inch screen with 1280x800 resolution. That might even get me to spend the money on a tablet even though I think they are basically toys. Of course, I have a lot of toys. :biggrin: