Amazon has Maxx HD for $179.99

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I don't think Amazon is selling refurbished devices. But BB will match Amazon's price and BB doesn't have a $200 penalty if you switch the phone to another line like Amazon does.

kokishin

Reaction score
>The next day, I saw this forum reporting the AmazonWireless price of $174 (no tax) and I decided to save over $100 by getting the one from AmazonWireless.

Are you sure about no tax?

I spoke with an AmazonWireless CSR yesterday. She said they do charge tax and even emailed me their taxation policy. Maybe because I live in the late, not so great state of CA which requires sales tax be applied to the retail price, it may be different than your state.

Pacino

Reaction score
kokishin -- check out targetmobilestore.com. I also live in California, and I just ordered a new Maxx HD for $199.99 from Target (and it came with a $50.00 Target gift card), and they charged $0 in tax. Amazon, on the other hand, wanted to charge me tax for the full retail price ($729 or whatever). I think this sale at Target may end today though, so you might want to look into it ASAP.

kokishin

Reaction score
Pacino: Thanks. I spoke with a CSR at targetmobilestore.com on the 28th and also confirmed that they do not charge sales tax which is a significant savings. At this moment, the deal is still there on the website. This is the best deal I have found to date.

I have been intentionally waiting for Motorola to ship with Jelly Bean instead of buying now with ICS and getting the JB upgrade later (within the next two weeks). Not sure if this is relevant but I thought it might be technically "cleaner" to get the MAXX HD with JB already loaded. Don't know if the JB update completely wipes ICS from the ROM before installing JB or if the ROM has leftover ICS residue after JB is updated. Feedback appreciated.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The JB upgrade from ICS is not as extreme an upgrade as the ICS was coming from GB, so going from ICS to JB should have minimal problems if any. I always do a factory data reset for any update anyway to ensure that there are no problems and one should have been required for the ICS update. But I don't think one will be so necessary for JB.

Chances are that once JB hits OTA (which is supposed to be happening in the next two weeks for the HD's), that the new phones will still have ICS and will need to be updated to JB after purchase. If JB is out when/if you purchase your phone then I would update it first thing.

kokishin

Reaction score
Does a factory reset wipe user installed apps, pics, mp3s, data, etc.?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
the nexus and M both had to be updated to jelly bean by ota update and didn't come with jelly bean installed out of the box.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
kokishin said:
Does a factory reset wipe user installed apps, pics, mp3s, data, etc.?

Yes, it does. It returns your phone to brand new state. Your pics and music stored on your external/removable sdcard are not deleted (unless you choose to reformat that also).

There are many things you can do before doing an fdr to save and backup your info. See:

As a guide for ideas when backing up and restoring before doing an fdr see: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html

kokishin

Reaction score
Understood. Motorola is advertising the M now with JB. I presume that JB is now installed during production on the M?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
kokishin said:
Understood. Motorola is advertising the M now with JB. I presume that JB is now installed during production on the M?

I am guessing also, that they are. And they will start doing the same with the HD's after JB hits. But there will probably still be some already manufactured and on the store shelves that still have ICS. After ICS went OTA for the original Razr's, some people received new Razr's with ICS and some still had Gingerbread and needed to be updated.

blowabs

Reaction score
Its $149.00!!!!...& I gotta wait tioll Frb,:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: