Amazon Echo Marches Closer to 'Must-Have' Item Because of New Thermostat Controls

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-echo-and-ecobee.jpg

Prepare for a splash of exuberant hyperbole. The Amazon Echo just had it's cool factor go up by a factor of 10! The newest feature added to the Amazon Echo takes it several steps forward to being a "must have" household tech item. They just added a set of voice commands to control the thermostat in your home!

Specifically, the company named ecobee has a smart, WiFi enabled thermostat called the ecobee3 and it is now compatible with voice commands through your Amazon Echo. The ecobee3 is already an impressive device by itself and is very similar in capabilities to the Nest thermostat that Google owns. Being able to sync with your Amazon Echo wirelessly is a great feather to add to its hat, on top of its programability and enhanced smart-sensing technologies.

With the two of these device paired up, you simply have to ask Alexa to raise/lower the temperature, or even set a specific temperature. Along with all the great music options, the ability to order you an Uber ride, and the lighting/power socket controlling capabilities, Alexa keeps evolving to new heights every month!

Here's a link to check out the ecobee3 WiFi, programmable-smart thermostat: Amazon - ecobee3

Here's a link to grab the Amazon Echo from Amazon: Amazon Echo

Here's a link to our dedicated Amazon Echo section for further discussion: Amazon Echo

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Just bought a Ecobee 2 weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised of this update today, though I was thinking of trying ifttt and didn't need to do that.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Steer clear of IFTTT. It has possessed my Hue lights.

I said when Echo came out I wasn't remotely interested until it started more Home Automation tasks.
Getting there, Echo. Now go back to $99. ;)

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I wonder when nest will play with echo.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Amazon+Google? Don't hold your breath. I'm guessing they had a good reason they chose Ecobee...

TapaTurboII

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Amazon+Google? Don't hold your breath. I'm guessing they had a good reason they chose Ecobee...

TapaTurboII
What is surprising is that Ecobee seemed to be targeting Apple users with a homekit addition. Though at the same time its a great marketing strategy for Ecobee stretching out to Amazon. Certainly reinforced my decision to go with the Ecobee over the Nest. Though I also didn't want to get the nest since my kid keeps playing with the one at Best buy and I just know when I'm not looking she'll pull up a chair and play with the one at home. Also I can confirm that it works pretty well.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I've been considering the Echo, and with this information it will be closer to happening, and just bought the Ecobee3, what a great addition, great interface. Was considering the Nest before, but with Amazon and Apple integration, wife is an Apple, it pushed me to the Ecobee. Love it so far. I can hear an Echo...

Sent from an iGalaxy Tab S2

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Well I did it, ordered the Echo Dot, as I already have a set of Bluetooth speakers and also may connect to my AV system...

Delivery in May...

Sent from an iGalaxy Tab S2

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Amazon Echo Dot arrived today, looking forward to setting this up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

yushu

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy
Twitter
-
You can also talk to Alexa when you're not near/ do not have an Amazon Echo. Just use the Roger app and connect your Amazon account from within the app and you can control your home lights even from your office ☺

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
You can also talk to Alexa when you're not near/ do not have an Amazon Echo. Just use the Roger app and connect your Amazon account from within the app and you can control your home lights even from your office ☺
Downloaded the Roger app today, now to research smart switches and lights etc...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Go with this Lifx. Thus from a Hue owner. Lifx are cheaper.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

yushu

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy
Twitter
-
Downloaded the Roger app today, now to research smart switches and lights etc...

That's great!! Will be glad to help if you run into any issues :) My Roger username is Yushu :)

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Alexa, who is the winner?

Efin is the winner.