Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
amazontabs.png

Amazon will lead the charge for iPad-competitor tablets this quarter with plans to build between 1 million and 1.2 million units, the Taiwanese news site Digitimes reports.

The figure is a conservative estimate by Digitimes’ sources within the device manufacturing supply chain, but it’s still a surprising number as it puts Amazon ahead of tablet shipments from Samsung, Acer and Asus. Amazon has a major advantage over competing tablets since it’s an e-retailer giant.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos hinted strongly that the company has tablets in the works, and rumors from the mobile site Boy Genius Report pointed to plans for two powerful tablets. I have an inkling that Amazon is aiming to do more than release yet another bland Android tablet. Most likely, the company is gearing up to compete with Barnes & Noble’s $250 Nook Color, which has been successful due to its tablet-like features and low price.

Overall shipments of non-iPad tablets will increase to around 7 million units in the third quarter, compared with around 3 to 3.5 million units from the previous quarter, an industry source tells Digitimes. Apple plans to ship between 14 and 15 million iPads this quarter, compared to around 11 million from the last. Overall tablet shipments are expected to be between 21 and 22 million units, compared to around 14 million from the last quarter, the industry source said.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Digitimes

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
14-15M tablets in a quarter is really an amazing number, because think Apple sold about 60M iPhones last year.

A tablet (with a keyboard) is actually a superior device for surfing, mainly because apps optimize a lot of your repetitive internet uses. But I'm still surprised by the growth in tablets since most don't have keyboards and the screen size is great for mobile video but otherwise no substitute for a laptop at home or the office.

Otherwise, the trend largely mirrors the iPhone with Apple having a huge installed base more or less "locked-in" to IOS and good Android tablets have really only been out a few months. I don't know if the Xoom is as bad as advertised or it just failed to meet really high expectations. The Asus tablet is selling like crazy, but they can't produce enough and even then I'm not sure who you get 3G service from, if you even can. Sammie's latest tablet will do really well.