Amazon Apps.. FREE isn't always FREE

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by Droid_Deb, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Droid_Deb

Droid_Deb New Member

I don't know who to contact at Amazon App Store. And its more of the "principle" of it, than it is the 99cent fee.

Last night i went into the Amazon App Store and downloaded the Meteor Brick Breaker, the free app of the day. The $3.99 was grayed out and lined out and FREE was next to it. Then I noticed on a list underneath that, it said Tune In Radio Pro the 99cents was grayed out with the line through it, and it said FREE next to the app. So I downloaded that as well.

I check my email this morning to find out I was Billed and charged 99 cents for the app. Sure enough, I looked today and its no longer offered for free, but I know what I saw when I downloaded it. I already had the basic version, and knew if I had to pay 99 cents for it, I wouldn't have bothered.

I cannot find anywhere on the Amazon.com site to report this error, and for 99cents and the time I already put into looking around, Its probably not worth it.

Its the principle of it. it was shown on their site for FREE, then I get the email that I was charged. Has this happened to anyone else? I guess the lesson learned here is.... Not everything that says its FREE on the Amazon App Store is actually FREE!
  2. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

Tune in was the free app yesterday and Meteor Brick Breaker was the app for today. You must have bought it as they were transitioning. Maybe just try sending them an email through contact us and see if they'll work with you. So far it's never happened to me though.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  3. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

There is only 1 free app of the day.
    Might be a good idea to take a screenshot next time to show Amazon.
    I think they will honor what their ad said.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  4. b-jammin21

b-jammin21 New Member

Talk with them and let them know your concerns. I've had issues with Amazon before and they've always corrected the situation in my favor.
  5. Droid_Deb

Droid_Deb New Member

Can you guide me in the right direction? I've looked around the amazon.com site for a "contact us" button, but cannot seem to find any way to contact them. And the email I got with the invoice bouces back.

Maybe I'm just blind?
  6. Droid_Deb

Droid_Deb New Member

That's possible. It was around 1 or 2AM Central time.
  7. jaycemiskel

8. Droid_Deb

Droid_Deb New Member

9. jaycemiskel

No problem.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  10. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

The golden rule is only download the app featured on the top of the page, that way you'll guarantee you are getting the FREE app.
  11. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

This happened to my husband. When he opened the appstore the screen had not refreshed from the previous day. He clicked on the free app (listed at the top of the page) and it started downloading. He got the notification email, opened it, and saw he was charged $3. He went back to the appstore where it was still downloading and realized there is no option to cancel an app that is already being processed. Now I always make sure to refresh my screen...

Amazon needs to have a pop-up specifying "do you want to buy xyz app for $x.xx?" It's too easy to accidentally buy an app. And they probably figure most people are not gonna make a stink about a dollar or two.

(from Beka's DX)
  12. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

Specify 2 credit cards in your Amazon profile. The first (default) should preferably be an expired credit card.

If any one-click purchase without confirmation ever occurs, it will use the default invalid card.
    All respectable purchase procedures on Amazon will allow you to edit/switch credit card info in the final step of the purchase process, and you can use this technique to prevent accidental purchases on Amazon.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app