Amazon App Store sluggish & killing my battery

Syko

Reaction score
When I switched over to the Droid4 from the Droid2, I had expected to sacrifice some battery life (I did have the extended battery on the Droid2 after all) but honestly, it's been much worse than I anticipated. I did expect to get thru a regular work day without needing a recharge but that was rarely the case. I would unplug with a 100% charge @ 6am and would be down to 20-30% by 1pm.

So I started trying all the usual tricks that we all try to extend battery life and I would make small gains but still not ideal. Then I noticed the Amazon App Store running real sluggish over the last few weeks. I really haven't used it that much other than to check to see if there was anything worthwhile as the FAOTD but now, navigating thru the app was a pain to say the least. Then I noticed it took up the #1 slot in my battery statistics taking a whopping 47% of the usage! I've had the Amazon App Store since my Droid2 days and other than it being on the slow side I really never had an issue with it.

I tried clearing the cache, uninstalling & re-installing, clearing data but always with the same results...still running painfully slow and killing my battery. So, only thing left to do was uninstall it completely. I did so and noticed an immediate improvement in screen responsiveness and battery life. I now can unplug my phone with a 100% charge @ 6am and by 6pm that same day I still have 40-50% battery life remaining! That's huge.

I figured I would post up my troubles in case anyone else out there had a similar issue. The only downfall was most my apps purchased thru Amazon no longer work without their appstore app installed so you will have to re-install them from the android market (still hate saying "Google Play"). No longer free I know but if they are good enuf to use everyday, they're good enuf to throw a couple of bucks at. Plus, if you have any experience with the Amazon market, you know they take forever to update the apps so now that is no longer an issue.

ksenter

Reaction score
When I switched over to the Droid4 from the Droid2, I had expected to sacrifice some battery life (I did have the extended battery on the Droid2 after all) but honestly, it's been much worse than I anticipated. I did expect to get thru a regular work day without needing a recharge but that was rarely the case. I would unplug with a 100% charge @ 6am and would be down to 20-30% by 1pm.

So I started trying all the usual tricks that we all try to extend batter life and I would make small gains but still not ideal. Then I noticed the Amazon App Store running real sluggish over the last few weeks. I really haven't used it that much other than to check to see if there was anything worthwhile as the FAOTD but now, navigating thru the app was a pain to say the least. Then I noticed it took up the #1 slot in my battery statistics taking a whopping 47% of the usage! I've had the Amazon App Store since my Droid2 days and other than it being on the slow side I really never had an issue with it.

I tried clearing the cache, uninstalling & re-installing, clearing data but always with the same results...still running painfully slow and killing my battery. So, only thing left to do was uninstall it completely. I did so and noticed an immediate improvement in screen responsiveness and battery life. I now can unplug my phone with a 100% charge @ 6am and by 6pm that same day I still have 40-50% battery life remaining! That's huge.

I figured I would post up my troubles in case anyone else out there had a similar issue. The only downfall was most my apps purchased thru Amazon no longer work without their appstore app installed so you will have to re-install them from the android market (still hate saying "Google Play"). No longer free I know but if they are good enuf to use everyday, they're good enuf to throw a couple of bucks at. Plus, if you have any experience with the Amazon market, you know they take forever to update the apps so now that is no longer an issue.

Yeah, I've had that problem for a while. I'll notice my phone getting hot, and I'll check my cpu usage in watchdog and sure enough the amazon appstore is eating up 70-80% of my cpu, so I kill it and the phone goes back to normal for a while. Sometimes a day later, sometimes an hour later it recurs and I repeat the process. If it weren't for the fact that I'm addicted to the free app of the day I'd uninstall it as well.

OP
Syko

Syko

Reaction score
Yep, that free app is addicting but I'm actually finding it liberating not worrying anymore if I missed an app on any given day.
dancingDroid.gif

bgarlock

Reaction score
I would echo all of this as well. I had the same results.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2