1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Amazon App Store for Android Went Live Today

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 22, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

It looks like that rumor from yesterday turned out to be true. The Amazon App Store for Android went live this morning. It has some pretty nifty features. Here are just a few:
    • Filter apps by featured categories
    • Each listing has multiple screenshots and as a fully formatted description
    • Amazon reviews - just like from their website
    • Some apps have a full preview mode that Amazon calls 'Test Drive' that allows you to try them out in your browser window
    Also, Amazon is running a pretty amazing promotion. Amazon is going to feature a FREE premium app, every day for an undefined period of time! The free premium app for today is none other than their brand new exclusive "Angry Birds Rio". Check it out to grab Angry Birds Rio before the day is gone, and let us know what you think of the Amazon App Store in the forums.

Source: AndroidPolice via Amazon Appstore
  2. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

3. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Is there an amazon appstore app.. or access would be through browser only?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. ukyfan

ukyfan Premium Member Premium Member

There is an app. you go to sign up and give them your email and phone # and you will get a text with a link to download the app.

My problem is that they are asking for a CC # before you can do anything. As of right now I can not download anything even if it is a free app. Is there a way around this since I do not want to put a CC# down right now.
  5. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Probably not... the Market is the same way... has to have something on file to bill you.

Other than my desire for Angry Birds Rio I don't see a need for another Market at all.

Maybe it's just me :(
  6. Jaxidian

Jaxidian Team FreeMyMoto Premium Member Developer

Two comments/criticisms:

1) You need a One-Click-enabled account (complete with associated credit card) to download paid apps and at least the Free App of the Day (I'm not sure about purely free apps). This doesn't bother me - I buy my MP3s from Amazon so I'm good to go here.
    2) The AppStore apparently doesn't distinguish from multiple different devices when it "syncs" your apps. So it thinks my tablet should have the same apps on it as my phone does. I don't like this - I hope there is some customization to this (have barely used it so it may already be there - not sure).

I'm all about free RIO. :)
  7. Jaxidian

Well, this market will "usually" be cheaper than Google's since Amazon forces its developers to allow Amazon to sell their products at a lower-than-desired price. So to you as a consumer, that's something to keep in mind. For example, SwiftKey is $1.79 from Amazon and $1.99 from Google. Nothing miraculous, but 10% off.
  8. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Thanks Jax.... I did forget that before I made my statement.
  9. ukyfan

that was the only reason I was going on there. I think I might have an old AMEX gift card that I will try putting on there to see if that will work. Also it looked like they are charging for apps that are free in the normal market. I thought I saw that the normal Angry Birds was like $5 or so
  10. Jaxidian

$0.99 not $5
  11. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

And today, is FREE
  12. ukyfan

I must have saw something else for $5, but the Normal Angry Birds is $.99. Rio is the free app.
  13. ukyfan

I just took another look and it does look like all three of the AB apps are free. At least for today. My apologies Jax ;)
  14. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

I just paid $0.99 each for Angry Birds, and Angry Birds Seasons?!
  15. urklegrue

urklegrue New Member

Does anyone know if the original and Seasons are ad-free on Amazon, if they are usually 99 cents? And what would happen if I downloaded them if I already have the Market versions on the phone?
  16. Jaxidian

The free versions of Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons have ads. The paid-for version does not. RIO has no ads and is free but only today. That's the differences.
  17. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

Thank you no edit button. :D

The ad free versions are paid, while the free versions are the same as the ones in the market right?
  18. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

It replaces your market versions, and keeps all your settings and data intact.

Now another question. How does it update them? Does it update through the market, so I don't have to open the app store?
  19. urklegrue

urklegrue New Member

Thanks for the clarification! I get it now. :)
  20. StormyHeather

StormyHeather New Member

I have an Amazon account and got the email that the Amazon App store was live. You just have to provide an email that you get on your phone, because the link to the app store is sent as a link for you to download from or you provide your phone number. Now, it already knows that I have a Droid X, without me having to tell it what kind of phone I have.

It does say that it doesn't support AT&T Android, so head's up on that. There are notes under an app (TuneSync) that AT&T is working on a fix.

I do notice that there is a charge for Angry Birds Season, though. I got that free through Google's Market.

There do appear to be free apps that you can get. And, my email said that I can get a "great paid app" free every day. Now, I don't know how many days that's supposed to be!

I like the review section. It is just like Amazon's regular review section, so you can put more information on what you like and dislike about the program. That is one problem that I have with the Google Market. Also, the description for the program can be long, which you don't get with the Google Market.

So far, I'm impressed. I mean, I've had what, 15 mins of play with it. That's enough time, right? It looks pretty, too! Yeah, I'm drawn to bright and shiny objects. :blink:

:icon_ banana:
Search tags for this page

droid bionic kindle app, must uninstall and reinstall to cha