Amazon Announces Fire TV to Go Head to Head with Apple TV and Chromecast

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 2, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

While none of us here at HQ were surprised that Amazon just made this announcement, we were all surprised at the "out of the blue" timing of it. For some time there have been rumors that Amazon would be creating their own TV set-top box product to compete with Apple TV and Google TV and Google's Chromecast. Today those rumors were confirmed when Amazon officially announced Fire TV.

Fire TV is just what you would expect. It is a new device which plugs into your television lets you stream video content from the Internet. The primary focus of Fire TV will be Amazon Prime Video, and it will also support third-party content, like Netflix and Hulu Plus. Amazon even shared that apps like HBO Go and Showtime Anytime will be coming down the pike later.

As usual, the Fire TV will run a customized version of Android, just like the Kindle Fire tablet. Here are a few hardware specs of the device:
    • Quad-core processor (supposedly is three times more powerful than Apple TV and other rival devices)
    • 2GB of RAM
    • Dedicated graphics processor
    • Will ship with a tiny, plastic remote control that has only seven buttons and a directional pad
    • Voice command search queries
    • Support for Android gaming ( Amazon has launched a studio internally to develop in-house games)
    According to Amazon, more third-party apps will be coming to the Fire TV in May. This includes music apps like TuneIn, Pandora, & iHeartRadio. The device will be available to buy later today for $99, and a gaming controller for it will cost $39.99.

Overall, this could be the surprise "sleeper" hit of 2014. What a nice surprise for a lazy Wednesday morning!

Be sure to hit up our dedicated section for the Fire TV over at our sister site, GoogleTVForum.org. You can find that section here: Kindle Fire TV
  2. dgstorm

Here's the full presser for more info,

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No surprise is right. At $99. they are right inline with Apple. The $40. game controller will give them a nice edge.
  4. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

If one already has a PS4, Nexus 7 (2013), Chromecast, and a Nexus 5, what would be a reason to own this device? I love me some technology, but it has to fit a need that isn't already fulfilled.

He says glaring at his Wii U collecting dust on the entertainment center. :)
  5. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Amazon Prime streaming without using your PS4 maybe. Considering its probably going to be heavily locked down and can only access the Amazon App Store, fo me thats a deterrent.
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

Amazon app store can be installed on Nexus 5 though and use chromecast to stream to TV..
  7. dgstorm

Here are pics of the device and controller for those interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. VirtualCLD

VirtualCLD Member

Can't use Chromecast to stream Amazon Prime to TV, at least not easily. I tried what other people online suggested: disabling Silverlight in Chrome and forcing Amazon Prime to default to Flash, but it didn't stream well to Chromecast (audio only with frozen video). So much for my hope of Amazon Prime coming to Chromecast.
  9. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

I have a chromecast but really liking the roku. I am trading in my roku hdmi stick for a roku 3. Actually I am ging the roku hdmi to my brother.
  10. fireman00

fireman00 Member

late to the game. I'll be sticking with my Roku 3. Amazon should spend some of that development $$$ on streaming content.
  11. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

I don't have any video/audio or buffering problems with Chromecast and Amazon Prime. I just wish I could figure out how to get full screen mode and then go back to surfing on another tab
Search tags for this page

amazon fire phone commercial actors

amazon fire tv forum

fire tv