Amazon Announces $50 7-Inch Fire Tablet & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Amazon-fire-tablet-7-2015.png

Amazon just surprised everyone with official announcements for three new tablets. We will handle the 7-inch tablet separately from the other two. The most amazing thing about the new 7-inch Fire Tablet from Amazon is its price. At only $50 USD, it is easily the most affordable tablet on the market currently. Here's a breakdown of specs so you can see what you are getting for your money:
  • 7-inch 1024x600 resolution display
  • 1.3GHz quad-core chipset
  • 1GB of RAM
  • Rear and front facing cameras
  • 8 GB of internal storage
  • MicroSD slot for up to 128GB additional storage
  • Fire OS 5
  • WiFi
  • 7 Hour battery
For folks with a big family, Amazon is offering an even better deal on this ultra-affordable tablet. If you by a pack of 5 of them for $249.99, Amazon will upgrade it to a "6 Pack" by giving you a sixth tablet for free.

The new tablet is available for pre-order and will be released on September 30. Here's the link: Amazon

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I don't have any experience with Fire OS. Will I be able to sideload the Google Play store on this thing?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Also, would this be a good tablet for a toddler?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with Fire OS. Will I be able to sideload the Google Play store on this thing?
The ui uses right at 4GB. That's a big problem on an 8GB model. I'm not sure about the newest version of the os but there are a gazillion apps on the Amazon app store now.
I'd say yes for an older toddler that is beyond the chewing stage but see the first sentence in this reply. 4GB isn't much to play with and I'm not sure I'd trust a toddler with anything that has a way for them to get that sd card out. Never underestimate the ability of a toddler to out think an adult.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There is a kid version that sells for around $100 (I think) and comes with a sturdy case and free access to kids apps, games, books, etc for at least a year as well. I'd pay the extra money there or at least buy a super heavy-duty case for this one.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I purchased the first version of the kids tablet last Christmas. It's really a great tablet.

However, as Mark pointed out, it is a HUGE hassle to always micro manage 8GB. Never again.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a kid version that sells for around $100 (I think) and comes with a sturdy case and free access to kids apps, games, books, etc for at least a year as well. I'd pay the extra money there or at least buy a super heavy-duty case for this one.
$149.99 . My daughter won one this summer so I checked out reviews and stuff. It also includes a 2 year no questions asked replacement warranty and a year of Free Time, or whatever they call that thing that limits how long kids can do this or that on it. Where most of the ui gets used up is the tablet has a kids specific ui over top of the Fire ui but it gives access to tens of thousands of children specific games (full versions, no ads), videos, movies, tv shows, books and apps. It can be turned off by changing the user from her to me but it still is embedded on the tablet.
Just the ruggedized case is $22

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Cool, thanks guys! I'll check out the kids version.

So would this $50 one be good for a grandma that only plays a few games and checks email?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys! I'll check out the kids version.

So would this $50 one be good for a grandma that only plays a few games and checks email?
Yes. The Silk browser is also pretty good for information searches and such.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4