Amazon announces 5, count 'em 5 new tablets!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
BN-EP026_AMAZON_GR_20140917193613.jpg

Amazon has announced a bevy of devices today available for pre-order (shipping in October). One short news article is hardly even enough space to cover them, but here's a quick summary.

First up, we have the newest Fire HD tablet which starts at $100 for the 8GB ad supported 6" version (or $134 for the 16GB non-ad supported version). It features front and rear cameras and sports a quad core 1.5 GHz processor.

Next up is the Fire HD Kids Edition which is very similar to the new Fire HD. It starts at $149 for a 6" and $189 for a 7." The big difference here is that the ruggedized tablet has a 2 year Accidental Damage Warranty which covers it even if your 5 year old tries to flush it down the toilet. Amazon bills it as a "Real tablet, not a toy"... and it is. This includes a year of "Amazon Freetime" which is like "Prime for Kids."

Our third is a refreshed Fire HDX 8.9 which features a new processor and GPU. Amazon claims it is 70% faster than the previous HDX. Amazon says the display has 30% more pixels and is lighter then the iPad Air.

Finally, Amazon announced two new eReaders. The cheapest Kindle ever released now comes with a touch screen for $79. The high end (luxury?) Voyage eReader is $199 + ads or $219 w/o ads. It is supposedly the closest that an eReader has ever come to actually reading paper. It's the thinnest Kindle ever released and features a new "Adaptive Front Light" enabling you to read in any lighting condition. It's perhaps odd for that kind of money that the Voyage doesn't include the wall adapter for the USB cable they include. (Pictured is the Voyage, as the new Kindle is not shown).

Many of our DroidForums members aren't fans of the Amazon ecosystem. Do any of these devices change your mind?

Image Source: WallStreetJournal

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Amazon official policy for not including a wall wart is environmental friendliness.
A 6" tablet? Wasn't the Samsung Mega phone bigger than that?
As far as their ereaders , I'm still smitten with my 1st gen lit one so if the new one is better than that all I can say is just wow.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use the Kindle app on everything. My Kindle e-reader does not connect to my current wireless router at home, so it stays uncharged and unused at the moment. I've gotten use to reader on Amoled, with white text. No issues with glare at all.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use the Kindle app on everything. My Kindle e-reader does not connect to my current wireless router at home, so it stays uncharged and unused at the moment. I've gotten use to reader on Amoled, with white text. No issues with glare at all.
On my Notes I like the sand/tan color for reading. It's a bit more battery friendly than white also.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk