Amazing skins for droid - Gelaskins

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nice write up, sheryl. welcome to the forums!

Danthok

Reaction score
*It was fairly easy to put on, no special goo or anything... just peel and stick. For the Droid it was in 14 pieces. It also had a clear cover for the screen but I took that off since it made the screen look 'fuzzy' to me.

14 pieces! Yikes, I had a hard enough time putting on a screen protector straight. These products look really cool and I would personally order the Great Wave, but the installation is making me have second thoughts.

The sensor cover up is definitely a deal breaker as well. Do the Gelaskins have the same problem as the brand Sheryl bought? Can anyone confirm this either way?

Firegrl

Reaction score
I ordered 2 skins from DecalGirl. Will let you know how it goes when I receive them, which should be in the next day or two....

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Sheryl.
The issue with the sensor could be fixed with an Exact-O :) Same with the soft keys.
I'm still debating a purchase... but I like the idea of a custom skinned Droid :)

MEAward

Reaction score
*It was fairly easy to put on, no special goo or anything... just peel and stick. For the Droid it was in 14 pieces. It also had a clear cover for the screen but I took that off since it made the screen look 'fuzzy' to me.

14 pieces! Yikes, I had a hard enough time putting on a screen protector straight. These products look really cool and I would personally order the Great Wave, but the installation is making me have second thoughts.

The sensor cover up is definitely a deal breaker as well. Do the Gelaskins have the same problem as the brand Sheryl bought? Can anyone confirm this either way?

I ordered two Gelaskins for my phone - I had to put on the notification so the LED would blink while I put it on. Fits pretty well - & yes, there are two little holes at the top - for the LED & The sensor. 5 pieces - covers the buttons on the front, but definitely doesn't affect the sensitivity.

I had to break down & get a skin of my son BMX racing...doing a manual over one of the hills. When I take pics, I'll share.

Hope that helps.

sherylhs

Reaction score
I ordered two Gelaskins for my phone - I had to put on the notification so the LED would blink while I put it on. Fits pretty well - & yes, there are two little holes at the top - for the LED & The sensor. 5 pieces - covers the buttons on the front, but definitely doesn't affect the sensitivity.

I had to break down & get a skin of my son BMX racing...doing a manual over one of the hills. When I take pics, I'll share.

Hope that helps.

Those Gelaskins look pretty cool and don't have any of those "edges" I was referring to. Have you made a phone call? <- I know! Crazy question about the phone. lol I was wondering if you were experiencing any of the issues I was. It looks like the Gelaskins don't accomodate the light sensor on the left either.

I am also curious; if you made a custom skin, did they send you a background that works on the Droid. In the FAQ they only discuss Apple and BB.

Thanks!

JamesX

Reaction score
Do these skins have pattern ON the actual touch screen? o.o

oh NVM XD

Those are matching Backgrounds :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been toying with designs for a while... I still haven't broken down and bought one yet :(

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay, odd question. I was looking at the GelaSkins site, thinking about a custom skin but can't find one piece of info. How thick/thin are these skins??

For those that have them, your impressions (i.e. are they to thick or think)? Thanks everyone. I really like the idea of the customs.

Olivia

Reaction score
Okay I'm getting really impatient for my gelaskins to get here! I customized mine and the email said it could take up to 15 days shipping. Well it's going on a month now and I received an email from the about 4 days ago saying it shipped. WTF took so long just to ship it, and I still have no idea when to expect it.

shademar

Reaction score
All right, I got the one I ordered.

The material is a sort of vinyl...easily removable and repositionable, but seems like it would stay on all right. The rear application, which is what I was interested in, looks very nice. However, the front application, which I only put on to test, has two big problems: first, the menu key lights are not visible through the skin (even after a few months of use, I couldn't accurately hit the buttons without visual feedback) and second, the proximity sensor on the left is completely covered. There are holes cut for the led notification light and light sensor on the right, but not the proximity sensor on the other side. This caused the proximity detection during calls to not work at all in the tests I did (screen stayed on, even when the sensor area was covered or it was near my face.)

I'll update with pics if anyone is interested (I only have pics of the back and the unapplied decals, as the droid is my only functional camera), and I'll probably email the company to give them a heads up...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I might try ordering one just for the rear cover and not mess with the front face. I like the minimalist flat black look of the screen as it is anyways. I'm pretty sure a friend of mine had one of these on the front of an old-school ipod (I recognize the art) and it looked great.

I was thinking that, it would be a nice skin for like a case, but I dont want any thing on the front especially if its covering the screen.

shademar

Reaction score
I might try ordering one just for the rear cover and not mess with the front face. I like the minimalist flat black look of the screen as it is anyways. I'm pretty sure a friend of mine had one of these on the front of an old-school ipod (I recognize the art) and it looked great.

I was thinking that, it would be a nice skin for like a case, but I dont want any thing on the front especially if its covering the screen.

I definitely recommend *not* using the front applique, as the current design seems to mess with the proximity sensor and hides the menu.

phoneback.png

front.png