Am i the only person who doesn't think it's worth it?

jrl9851

Reaction score
If I'm going to buy something very expensive, then I'm going to make the best out of it. Rooting and overclocking to 1ghz is the best thing I've done to this phone.

gnmitchell

Reaction score
With so many instruction guides out there on how to root as well as unroot your phone, not to mention the sholes mod, it's almost impossible to brick your phone. If you can read and follow instructions it's really quite easy. IMO the advantages to rooting far outweigh the very very small chance that you brick your phone.
And once you are rooted there are so many things you can do with it to make it look and work the way you want it to.
And no I am definitely not a phone hacker! Since I use my phone for so many things, I wanted to make sure it was as optimized as possible and it definitely wasn't when it was stock.

iPirate

Reaction score
I see no reason to root now. If Motorola stops providing android updates I will root then.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
With so many instruction guides out there on how to root as well as unroot your phone, not to mention the sholes mod, it's almost impossible to brick your phone. If you can read and follow instructions it's really quite easy. IMO the advantages to rooting far outweigh the very very small chance that you brick your phone.
And once you are rooted there are so many things you can do with it to make it look and work the way you want it to.
And no I am definitely not a phone hacker! Since I use my phone for so many things, I wanted to make sure it was as optimized as possible and it definitely wasn't when it was stock.

I'm. Not putting you down or calling you anything. I do however want to point out to you that all that information available that you mention is in the Droid HACKS thread.:D

gnmitchell

Reaction score

I'm. Not putting you down or calling you anything. I do however want to point out to you that all that information available that you mention is in the Droid HACKS thread.:D

True they are in the Droid Hacks thread, but if a company really didn't want their phone hacked why would they use the Android operating system?

jasonb

Reaction score
you're not the only one. at first when i heard people were rooting and overclocking i thought it seemed kinda silly. but then as i read into it, it seemed less crazy and eventually i took the plunge. i like my droid a lot better now that i did it.

xliderider

Reaction score
you're not the only one. at first when i heard people were rooting and overclocking i thought it seemed kinda silly. but then as i read into it, it seemed less crazy and eventually i took the plunge. i like my droid a lot better now that i did it.

Same here. Now the Droid feels slow when running at 550mhz. ;)

ValkF6

Reaction score
I managed systems programming and data center operations for 25 years. We spent a lot of time and money modifying vendor-supplied operating systems to do the "special" things we wanted to do. When the budget got cut where we could no longer afford to do that, the time and money required to solve weird problems dropped to almost zero.

I have no problems rooting the Droid and messing with neat modifications. But I don't, because I've learned that the benefits gained aren't nearly worth the problems caused. Others here have a different viewpoint, and that's fine. I'll be sticking with the operating system that Verizon sends me and enjoy trying different apps as a way to personalize the phone.

Wendy

Reaction score
For me personally, it's not worth it. I know just enough to be dangerous, and if I somehow screwed it up, my husband (who paid for the phone) would be ticked. I'd rather keep him happy :)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i didn't mean the phrase phone hacker to imply hurting anyone- it's your phone!
i meant it in the sense of being a technological risk taker to a higher degree than the average person;

I don't think anyone thought you meant hackers hurt people, just that hacking in general was bad or risky.
Spend some time at lifehacker.com and look at what they offer. I'd say a hacker is one who hacks, or cobbles together, various items in ways not seen before or in unusual ways to accomplish a task. It might be innovative or it might be commonplace. Sometimes it is a bandaid, like trying to use duct tape to patch a leaky hose.

Those that rooted saw possibilities. The true hackers here are those who rooted their phones first. Those who worked (hacked) their way through the steps that are so clearly outlined for anyone willing to take the time to read through them. They definitely took a bigger risk than those that follow them.

Like you I still have not rooted but I also know it is just a matter of time. I've watched here as many had uneventful upgrades done and seen a few yank their hair out too.

I don't need wifi tethering but my cpu running at 800mhz does interest me. I can try it out and if impressed keep it. If not my phone can go back how it is today.

I think I disagree that most here have rooted vs not though. There are 37,000 members on this forum. (Poll anyone?) So, no, I don't think you are the only person. I do think the more active posters here have rooted though. They've read the steps on rooting, they understood them, and the risk was deemed acceptable...or nonexistent even.

To borrow a signature, for anyone on the fence...take 30 minutes, read through these steps, and decide if its doable. Then, ask yourself what will you gain. Then decide if the gain is worth it:
- Learn how to root and install Bugless Beast from start to finish.
- Please read before asking about SetCPU!
- CPU temperature test results (overclocked/stock)

So far I haven't rooted so it must not be, but I'm curious enough that I'll do it eventually just to see how green the grass really is:

zakany

Reaction score
One of the first things I do when I build a computer is OC it to the greatest extent. So I have no qualms about OCing my phone. My only concern is that I don't want to run it as root user. I haven't looked into it yet, but I wonder if you still sudo when "rooted" or whether you really make yourself root user.

There can be viruses written that pass phone-to-phone OTA if the phones are run as root, rather than as a standard user.

wil318466

Reaction score
we already have an amazing phone.
i don't think the risk of voiding the warranty is worth rooting overclocking.
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but i'm not riding the short bus either- i guess i'm in the middle intellectually.
i think it's a matter of risk.

It seems like root/ overclock people are really phone hackers.
is that true?

Don't do it then. It really is that simple.

Every day we see these posts.. "convince me" or "its not worth it"..

Well, simply put, don't bother.

-Wil

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have nothing against rooting, it's just unlocking the phones' full potential to me.

However, i am more than happy with my stock Droid. I came from an AT&T Tilt so this is already a significant upgrade.

The only thing not stock about my Droid is 2.1 launcher, through an .apk file and the 2.1 clock.

I am definitely happy with my setup and the speed of this thing already.