Am i the only person who doesn't think it's worth it?

CBLJazz

Reaction score
we already have an amazing phone.
i don't think the risk of voiding the warranty is worth rooting overclocking.
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but i'm not riding the short bus either- i guess i'm in the middle intellectually.
i think it's a matter of risk.

It seems like root/ overclock people are really phone hackers.
is that true?

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
well if you root you will void your warranty. but if you have a problem in the future you can go back to stock and get your phone serviced.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Some people are more extreme than others.

I believe its better to burn out, than fade away ;)

At any rate, you are right. It is a great phone, and if you don't want to risk it....don't.

Don't root, either. That too voids the warranty.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
I feel the same way. At the moment I don't see a need for myself to root so I'm not. Then again that's how I felt about flashing my windows mobile phone when I first got it cuz I worried about brickin it but down the line I ended up doin it. So bassically I can't say ill never try to root cuz something might eventually catch my eye

M

Matth3w

You're not the only one, but you're definitely in the minority on this forum.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some people will buy a car and not make a change. Others will mod it.

I don't have a problem with those who want to root their phone. After all it's theirs. I do find it funny that doing this to a Droid is called Rooting, while doing this with an iPhone is Jailbreaking.

At the moment I don't plan to root my Droid, mainly because I don't have a need to do so. That does not mean I will never root it. One big problem is my skill level and the lack of people I could turn to if I make a mistake. I mean, away from this forum. I'd like to see it in person; no list of instructions or video.

Last edited:

searayman

Reaction score
rooting, romming and over clocking have been the best things i have done for my droid

pyro6128

Reaction score
we already have an amazing phone.
i don't think the risk of voiding the warranty is worth rooting overclocking.
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but i'm not riding the short bus either- i guess i'm in the middle intellectually.
i think it's a matter of risk.

It seems like root/ overclock people are really phone hackers.
is that true?

I'm rooted and oced, and I consider myself extremely tech and computer savy. I fix the computers and other electronics for my family and friends. That being said, I would not consider myself a phone hacker by any means. I was able to follow the directions on how to root and install roms and oc and all that. It was extremely easy, and to be honest, the chance of messing something up seems pretty slim. Its all about reading the directions, then rereading them, then maybe reading one more time to make sure youre doing everything correctly. Now I change things around on my phone all the time. I constantly tweak it to get the appearance and function to where I want it at. But there are other people on here that are actual hackers. I think most people who are rooted and mess around with it don't have the knowledge to be considered hackers, but they get by just fine. But if you're happy with your phone and don't feel comfortable messing around with it then don't. No point in putting yourself in an uncomfortable position. That being said, I thought like you did for a while, then one day decided to take the plunge and am loving it.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Phone hacker? Yes in the sense I hacked my phone to work harder for me, hacker in the sense I am going to take over someone else's property... no.

I followed a guide to root lol, so while I'm smart enough to follow a guide I'm not smart enough to figure it out myself. :p

Do I think people who root their phones are hackers? No. Just because someone takes the time to work out how the phone works doesn't mean they are looking for vulnerabilities to take over anyone's else's property.

cpjr

Reaction score
I have always "messed" with everything I had, be it some type of electronic device or car, motorcycle, etc.....and have never worried much about breaking something.....

**knocks on wood**

It hasnt bitten me in the butt yet. I figure if I kill a cell phone I'll just buy another, lol. Besides at the rate new and better devices are being introduced I usually dont have anything electronic long enough to do any major damage ;)

mike_kauble

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out why the OP seems to think the phrase "phone hackers" is bad.

Maybe someone should start a thread about people who don't root and call them conformists. lol :D

I'm running 2.1 and have OC'd to 800. I love it. I have multiple back-ups and can revert my phone if I so chose. I chose to do this, and I'm comfortable with the risks. I have no problem that you aren't. To each their own.

cpjr

Reaction score
I am running at a constant 1ghz :D and tried 1100mhz, only reason I backed off was because of instability that was annoying....I aint scared :)

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Phone hacker? Yes in the sense I hacked my phone to work harder for me, hacker in the sense I am going to take over someone else's property... no.

Do I think people who root their phones are hackers? No. Just because someone takes the time to work out how the phone works doesn't mean they are looking for vulnerabilities to take over anyone's else's property.

i didn't mean the phrase phone hacker to imply hurting anyone- it's your phone!
i meant it in the sense of being a technological risk taker to a higher degree than the average person;

nerdbox08

Reaction score
that makes sense. I think I read a little more into it than I should have.

I'm a risk taker in all of my like lol

It makes it fun. :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some people will buy a car and not make a change. Others will mod it.

I don't have a problem with those who want to root their phone. After all it's theirs. I do find it funny that doing this to a Droid is called Rooting, while doing this with an iPhone is Jailbreaking.

At the moment I don't plan to root my Droid, mainly because I don't have a need to do so. That does not mean I will never root it. One big problem is my skill level and the lack of people I could turn to if I make a mistake. I mean, away from this forum. I'd like to see it in person; no list of instructions or video.

Lack of people to turn to? We are all here to help each other.

I'm not trying to talk you into rooting your phone. I rooted and went back to stock. But as far as not having people to turn to there are many people who can and will help you.

When I was having some difficulties rooting my phone I had a tremendous amount of people who offered to help. So many I had to say thanks but I have enough help.

So if you ever need help with anything please keep in mind we will help you. All you have to do is ask.