Am I the only one wishing for an underclocked ROM when we get NAND?

Discussion in 'Droid Incredible Hacks' started by blazercist, Jun 22, 2010.

1. blazercist

blazercist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering If I was the only one who had thought about this? Whether its possible?

Its been quite apparent that despite the Incredible's awesomeness some people have been a bit upset with the battery life... With an underclocked CPU (say 750 Mhz) the processor would be undervolted/run cooler and potentially save a good deal of battery at a relatively small expense.

Will any ROM chefs be cooking something along these lines?

2. alm0614

alm0614 Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    with a rooted phone there is no reason you shouldnt be able to do this.. using setCPU just set your maximum to 750..

3. blazercist

blazercist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression that you needed a custom kernel to alter the clock and thus needed NAND, I'm going to try this now and see if its possible and/or makes any difference.

Thanks.

4. blazercist

blazercist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried OverClocking Widget, didn't work, don't want to spend money in Market on SetCPU unless I'm sure it will work. I guess I'll just wait for someone to report SetCPU working on rooted Incredible or just wait for ROMs.

5. Lynx

Lynx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can spend the money, try it, and if it doesnt work get a refund. I think its only 99 cents, not positive though I bought it a while back.

6. TekHawk

TekHawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    have you installed an overclock yet? you will most likely want the lowest one with 5-7 slots to downclock to a reasonable speed but you do need a overclock flash before you can over or under clock with most phones

7. CaptainTaco

CaptainTaco New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Overclocking / underclocking requires NAND access, we do not have this yet. This is the case even with SetCPU.

As for requiring a Kernel, you would only need one if the phone does not have a stepping profile in it already, which I believe the incredible does. You would need a kernel to get a clock outside of that profile, i.e. an overclock (higher than 1.0ghz). I can't answer as to whether or not the phone has steps in it other than the 245mhz and 998mhz (1.0ghz). SetCPU shows many steps currently (with auto-detect), but A) it might be wrong, and B) you can't lock them without NAND anyway.

EDIT: Before someone catches me on it. I'm fairly certain that you could Overclock/underclock with a custom kernel even without NAND access, however, none such kernels are available at this time. Perhaps unrEVOked's newest work (Auto-Flash Recovery) will change that.

8. Berzerker

Berzerker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    SetCPU is free, the market version is the donate version. Google SetCPU and it's on an xda topic.

9. blazercist

blazercist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You are correct sir, it does not work. Oh well, I donated $2 to SetCPU, I guess its not such a bad thing. Waiting for recovery flash tonight ;) hopefully I'll get what I want soon.