Am I the only one who thinks the RAZR will be better than the GNex?

Oaklands

Reaction score
After some research it makes sense why the battery is not removable on the razr. They are using a lithium polymer battery instead of an ion battery. It is used in all the apple products and probably a lot of slim tablets. It is a gel pack battery instead of solid like we have known in all our other droid phones. Hence the stainless frame and kevlar back. The batteries swell a bit more and can get warmer that the ions. However they can be molded much thinner. Apparently they are a bit more volatile than ions as well and can explode easier. That would make sense why they don't want customers tampering with them.

I had not seen this mentioned and wanted to throw it out here.

Tapatalk and Toshiba Thrive.

OP
bacK_N_87

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
After some research it makes sense why the battery is not removable on the razr. They are using a lithium polymer battery instead of an ion battery. It is used in all the apple products and probably a lot of slim tablets. It is a gel pack battery instead of solid like we have known in all our other droid phones. Hence the stainless frame and kevlar back. The batteries swell a bit more and can get warmer that the ions. However they can be molded much thinner. Apparently they are a bit more volatile than ions as well and can explode easier. That would make sense why they don't want customers tampering with them.

That's interesting

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score

nice work.... I'm sure more are worried how many hours they can get out of them .. iphones get decent battery w them... unless ur gaming

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
I really think the RAZR will be a better phone once it gets ICS. It looks better to me, its different and its bares the name RAZR. Although the Nexus will be vanilla which is a huge plus when it comes to updates or simply being first, but I actually don't like the look of vanilla phones from Android. This will be different and great but it looks a little boring to me. I think Motorola will skin this nicely. Anyway I maybe just the only one because the Nexus Galaxy doesn't look all that great. Imagine it with GB lol.

Had HTC, motorola, soon a nexus.

Don't really wanna go back to motorola despite my problems with my HTC. So that puts motorola lower.

Very doubtful that it'll be a better phone

shizumie

Reaction score
I think the razr is looking really good. I just hate that moto lets vzw lock their phones, i think this is complete garbage and my sole reason i dont want the razr, i think it will have some sort of hard reset, and i have never had to carry around 2 batteries so not woried about not being able to swap em out.... Its just vzw screwing us over and moto letting them! :-[

sent while flying my kite in the rain

akhi216

Reaction score
Well the G Nex will have the the RAZR out-specced except in the ruggedness department but the general consensus is that Samsung phones feel cheaply made (which is my opinion as well). The call quality on Samsung phones tend to be lacking and not to mention they've been plagued with GPS issues to the point that a barometer had to be include in the G Nex to assist it. Motorola phones in general have superior call quality, which is likely due to one of their patented ideas, compared to Samsung phones. There is also a huge preference factor that will decide who wants which phone. The G Nex lacks a removable sd card card; this is a deal-breaker to many. A lot of people had their sights set on it until they heard about that. The RAZR lacks a removable battery; this is a deal breaker to people who to keep spare batteries. Motorola included in the RAZR software a program called Smart Actions, which when turned on tweaks the phones settings to optimize battery life (e.g. dims brightness, turns wifi off when not in use for a while, lowers clock speed, etc.). Also I speculate that they have new longer lasting battery tech in the RAZR that couldn't have been done with a removable battery during the time that it was developed; I don't think that they're gonna just make a phone with a nonremovable battery and a juice-chugging LTE chip and not have something to directly compensate for it.

I won't be getting either phone because I'm one of the people who simply will not pay for a phone that doesn't have a slide-out keyboard, but I can say that there will be many proud owners of both of these phones in the months to come.

M

MiDrOIdDOES

I don't think its out pected at all I actually think they're very similar in terms of technology wise. I think your major differences are going to be software such as user interface, or battery, also nexus being unlocked.... personally I think the inner guts are just a lil too similar to call either way

get2bill

Reaction score
I really think the RAZR will be a better phone once it gets ICS. It looks better to me, its different and its bares the name RAZR. Although the Nexus will be vanilla which is a huge plus when it comes to updates or simply being first, but I actually don't like the look of vanilla phones from Android. This will be different and great but it looks a little boring to me. I think Motorola will skin this nicely. Anyway I maybe just the only one because the Nexus Galaxy doesn't look all that great. Imagine it with GB lol.

I was waiting for Nexus and found out about the new Razr. I compared both and there are certainly some pro's to ea (noted in previous posts throughout). A quick pt of full disclosure: This will be my first smartphone-Droid or otherwise. I am however a semi- techie (IT Director by trade) just a slow adopter and kinda cheap. My current piece of LG junk is dying a slow death and I have a $30 discount for any phone from Verizon until the end of Oct. So just like I always do I have been comparing these beasts up one side and down the other obviously weighing what's best for me. The answer in short: I pre ordered a RAZR w/30 bucks off. As part of my job I have telecom under me and was actually involved in the first deployments of cell phones in my organization (be nice yes I am old as dirt but still in the game!). We started w/the true bricks costing $900 ea. (most of u guys are probably too young to even know what they were). Over the yrs we have had, at one time or another, every brand made in some significant qtys. It has been my experience over many yrs that there are many good phones but for me Moto has displayed the best, most consistent build quality/performance out there. Next, there's me. I am tough on stuff in general and the usual build quality of MOTO plus the "hardened" nature of this phone in particular is a perfect fit. Can't wait to get it!!!

akhi216

Reaction score
I don't think its out pected at all I actually think they're very similar in terms of technology wise. I think your major differences are going to be software such as user interface, or battery, also nexus being unlocked.... personally I think the inner guts are just a lil too similar to call either way

Well the Droid RAZR has an OMAP4 4430 vs the Galaxy Nexus' OMAP4 4460, which can outperform the 4430 and be clocked higher. The Droid RAZR's GPU (304 Mhz) is clocked slower than the Galaxy Nexus' GPU (384 MHz). The Droid RAZR has a qHD screen vs the the Galaxy Nexus' HD screen.

When you look at the entire package that both phones offer it comes down to a matter of personal preference. Do you want to be one of the cool kids on the block with phone that has a stainless steel core and kevlar backing? Do you want to be the first to taste the latest version of Android?

akhi216

Reaction score
As part of my job I have telecom under me and was actually involved in the first deployments of cell phones in my organization (be nice yes I am old as dirt but still in the game!). We started w/the true bricks costing $900 ea. (most of u guys are probably too young to even know what they were).

I remember those things. I was 8 years old when they came out. Actually I remember them starting off at more like 3000 dollars. The only people who could afford them were celebrities and athletes.

Edit: Maybe I'm thinking of carphones.

Last edited:

shizumie

Reaction score
At this point im about ready to throw in the towel and get a bionic and hope and pray for ics (and that it will help camera). Atleast it has sd and movable battery

sent while flying my kite in the rain

akhi216

Reaction score
i thought both phones had the same screen ?

Nope. The resolution on the Droid RAZR is 960 x 540 and the resolution on the Galaxy Nexus is 1280 x 720.