Am i the only one who just isn't happy

gravebelly

Reaction score
I got better battery life after letting battery power off phone then recharged over night. The improvement was great and it appears to be getting better and thats with stock battery. Cant wait to do this to extended battery. I was concerned about battery until I got better results now I am a happy camper.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I would imagine it will take a few battery cycles to get calibrated. I cant comment on battery life because I am always playing with the phone and constantly have to charge it!

nalgon

Reaction score
Yeah there is something defective with your phone. I have my bionic on all day at work from 8am to 6pm and I am using it all day, not idle. When I get home I still have 40% battery left. The other day I even used it for Navigation and it still had 30% when I got home.

EDIT: Oh he was running a 100 widgets. Got it.

As for the screen I not sure what you mean by grain, I see no pixels like on AMOLED screens, and I see no grain on photos...

I have a charge and see no pixels. I also had a bionic and that had a grainy screen.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

JaCelica2k

Reaction score
What's your 3g signal like? The reason I ask is when I am at work (in a fringe area) where I have a weak signal it would drop 50% in two hours without really using it. At home where I have a strong signal I could use it to play games/surf/etc and after 2 hours it would only drop like 10%.

revelated

Reaction score
The blizzard authenticator is for my wow account

Which means you don't need it as a widget either. Set it as an app shortcut on the home page and run it when you need it.

Basically if you go away from using widgets for everything and simply run apps when needed and kill them when you don't, if you still don't see a dramatic battery improvement, your phone is defective. But I'm willing to bet that the widgets are destroying your battery something fierce.

JaCelica2k

Reaction score
IMHO it does kind of suck to not be able to run the widgets you want to run.....Shouldn't have to compromise. IMHO widgets are one of the main advantages over that other OS.

CodeMonkeyX

Reaction score
IMHO it does kind of suck to not be able to run the widgets you want to run.....Shouldn't have to compromise. IMHO widgets are one of the main advantages over that other OS.

You can run any widgets you want, but they will drain your battery faster. Or you can buy an iPhone where they control everything for you and decide if something is worth the battery drain or not.

As with most things in life there is a trade off. You can not run 20 widgets that will each activate your data connection all the time to poll data and expect the same battery life as other people.

revelated

Reaction score

There's nothing wrong with running widgets. But then you have to be aware that your battery is going to get impacted. Ultimately a person has to strike a balance: battery over function. A MacBook Pro can last up to 7 hours with moderate usage. If I run Skype that number drops by 2-3 hours. So I have to ask, do I NEED to leave Skype open all the time or can I just open it when I need it, and am I willing to accept the battery hit for doing so?

If one wants to run whatever they want to run in terms of widgets or apps then I can't recommend the extended battery (after a full discharge/recharge) enough. At $25 I don't think it's a lot of money for what you get. I don't run a lot of crazy widgets, but I do a lot of web and push email as well as music streaming, and even with that I've been off the juice over a day and I still have 15 hours left. I imagine with widgets one could feasibly last at least 20 hours.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

/agree

So turn off 4G LTE, turn off widgets, use a lower quality screen and keep chargers in all locations. How far does it go until the compromises outweigh the benefits?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Shouldn't have to give up anything if you're smart about it..... if you're not satisfied with battery life what's so hard about having a spare battery, or an extended battery, or just having a car charger or wall charger in strategic places?... had to do that with my TBolt ...no different

revelated

Reaction score
/agree

So turn off 4G LTE, turn off widgets, use a lower quality screen and keep chargers in all locations. How far does it go until the compromises outweigh the benefits?

Turning off 4G only really applies if you're not in a 4G area. Which should be obvious. You could do it anyway if you are in a 4G area but realize you don't need 4G speeds, but then why buy the Bionic if you're not going to use it for what it's best at? Might as well get the Droid X2 and save money.

Lower quality screen is a conscientious choice you make when purchasing the phone. There are plenty of others - the Droid Charge, for example - that have "superior" screens. Then again their batteries aren't nearly as good as the Bionic.

Chargers everywhere - unnecessary if you learn how to master the the art of using what you need and then closing it, which isn't too much. Think about it - do you REALLY access Twitter 10 hours a day? Doubt it. Chances are you do quick checks/updates every now and then, but you don't need to leave the app running to do those. Same with Facebook, same with whatever else.

It's the same logic as with lights in rooms. Why leave lights on in rooms that nobody is in? Use the light when you are in the room, turn it off when you leave. Run A/C or heater when people are in the place, turn it off when you're not. That's how you keep energy bills down. Same concept with the Bionic.

Now, you don't HAVE to do any of these things. Nobody's forcing you to do anything else. But you can't have it both ways. Either you are conservative with usage and get great battery, or do whatever you want and accept the battery will be trashed (unless/until you buy an extended).

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I dig widgets, I"m running 9 of them! Yea, I guess just get an extended battery!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think this all boils down to the fact that technology continues to advance at an incredible rate, except battery technology.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^If they start making phones with 4.6+ inch HD displays, they'd better pick it up in the battery dept. I'd be ok with a heavy phone if they want to put a really big battery in it.

OP
GreenAcid

GreenAcid

Reaction score
Alright.

So. I killed all my widgets after letting the battery charge to 100% and saw really no significant change. Thats with light browsing on fb and txts.

Im probably just going to get an extended battery and go from there. I really dig the phone but battery life is horrible

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums