Am I the only one not digging Froyo?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by briantek, Aug 4, 2010.

1. briantek

briantek New Member

Let me start off by saying all of the issues I am having are not Pete's problems, but rather Verizon/Google’s and Pete has no control over them. With that said I am experiencing lag/FCs/Redraws with ANY Froyo rom, regardless of the kernel I choose.

My first issue is the browser. If the browser functioned the same as it did in 2.1 and included flash, I would keep Froyo installed even if my other issues existed. The browser for me is very "clunky". I don't know if this has to do with flash or just a newer browser version but It gets laggy at times, is not as responsive and seems generally slower. It’s annoying to use.

My next issue is Pandora. I use my phone in my car and listen to Pandora everyday and with 2.2 it is unbearably low in quality, to the point where I need to just turn it off.

The next issue is application compatibility, which is not really Verizon/Google's fault, but there are several applications that simply FC every time I open them. I am confident however, that the developers will fix these issues.

I tried out many 2.2 Roms and ended up going back to 2.1 (specifically BB 1.1) and it feels like I am back home again. And until these issues get sorted out I will remain with 2.1.

Just to add though that many of the features 2.2 has to offer are really cool and I cannot wait until I can finally use them.

/rant :)
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. Axium

Axium New Member

agreed.. was testing SS 4.6 yesterday, might've kept it on if it wasn't for all the redraws. back to BB 1.1 myself. got to love how stable and compatible with everything. i feel like i don't want to be bothered to flash a new rom since they're only working on froyo stuff and i think it's still too unstable
  3. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I personally have found 2.2 ROMs like Sapphire and Ultimate Droid to be amazing. Plus I am running the new Sapphire 1.0.0 right now and it is superb. I like me froyo yesss!
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I run it without any ROM. But I don't use Pandora so I really can't say. However as far as the Browser goes it's great, the camera is good, there is bluetooth voice dial. I'm really loving it.
  5. Smokie

Smokie New Member

am i the only idiot here that doesn't know what redraw is? someone please enlighten me.. thnx.
  6. Skurvy_Pirate

Skurvy_Pirate New Member

It is when your homescreen icons disappear and you have to wait for them to "redraw". It doesn't happen much with the stock Android Home app, but usually with other home apps, such as LauncherPro. For me when it used to happen (rarely) with the stock Android Home, it actually wouldn't redraw funny enough. I would have to force close it.
  7. rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh New Member

Doesn't that have to do with problems running out of memory? I remember seeing posts about it awhile back.

The problem I deal with is minor. Francois Deslandes' Pure Calendar widget, which I love, has begun doing the same thing. Coming up on the screen with a blank widget. He tells me it is my home app running out of memory.
  8. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

Hook, how are you getting bluetooth voicedial to work? it might be an issue with my car, but when i press the "call" button, it asks me to say the number to dial instead of saying the name of a contact. Or is that how it is supposed to be? I don't have everyone's phone numbers memorized like I did back in 1995...
  9. teknotronik

teknotronik New Member

I just have to say I have BB 0.4 and notice the problem with the audio streaming. I found out there is a option to use a higher quality stream setting in Pandora. I love it!! I stream with it all day and have no issues with buffering or anything and I only have 2 bars in my building at work! Application compability is actually wonderful now that most devs are updating to 2.2 support. Drop the amount of plugins on your home screen and move all apps (that don't have widgets) to SD card. I can't even put into words how great my Droid has been working. It cannot do uLV kernels but Chevyno1's LV kernels are solid! Hope that helps out!
  10. Burgers

Burgers New Member

I had the same issue with Pandora when i upgraded to Froyo too.. no bass and the quality was garbage..

However, I switched to a FRG01b build. (LithiumMod to be exact) and i've noticed a huge improvement in quality. My bass is definitely back to how it was on 2.1. Not sure who fixed this, the lithium devs or pandora, but its definitely back to how i remember it. I even did a nandroid restore to a 2.1 and made my gf sit in the car and pitch in her 2 cents. Also, and im probably sure you heard this a million times, make sure u select high quality in the Pandora settings.

As for Browser, i use Dolphin HD as my default. Personally, i think its smoother than the stock one.

Froyo is def worth it, my phone is significantly more responsive.. I say give it another shot. :)
  11. caliwagon

caliwagon New Member

I've also tried some of the Froyo ROMs, but am back on BB v1.1 and quite satisfied. The only thing I'm really missing is Flash. I'll be back on 2.2 soon, but for now 2.1 is better for my needs.
  12. billygalbreath

billygalbreath New Member Developer

Only thing i can think of is to try a different Launcher/Home (like LauncherPro or ADW). Launcher2 seems to be a bit sluggish, imho, and when the Launcher/Home is sluggish, the whole device seems sluggish.

Use a different browser. Personally, I prefer Dolphin Browser. There are many many more to choose from on the Market. Try a few and I promise you'll find one you like.

There is a change in the "stagefright" in the drivers, and its set to a lower quality by default to speed up download times (resulting in less skips in streaming media). To get a higher quality take a look at this:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cvpcs/65786-fix-audio-streaming-quality-issues.html

These applications are not compatible with Froyo yet, but the developers are well aware and are starting to push out Froyo compatible apps. Weatherbug is one i've noticed to become compatible with Froyo recently.

:D
  13. Car

Car New Member

To me the biggest advantage to froyo is the increase in speed. It definitely handles tasks more efficiently, while allowing up to 8 recent apps to be recalled with a simple hold of the home button (2.1 allowed 6)

This comes at a cost however. I can no longer watch yahoo news/entertainment videos. Diminished pandora quality, certain videos in the gallery do not play, YouTube gives more errors than ever.

Flash.....I thought I was gonna go crazy for it, but really find myself unsatisfied and rather frustrated when I do try to use it. It is definitely not ready to lose its "beta" status. Funny part is it displays ads no problem, and is a major resource hog.
  14. midiwall

midiwall New Member

The root thread of the fix is over on XDA:
    [FIX] Fix poor AAC streaming performance (Pandora, Slacker, etc) on Froyo - xda-developers

And there's more local babble starting here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...reaming-audio-quality-2-2-a-2.html#post676371

Note that if you're addicted to benchmark numbers, the Quadrant number will go DOWN with this fix in place. That's due to lower performance from the h.264 video decoder.

Also note that being able to change the value in memory without a reboot comes with the pre-qual that the phone can't have played any music or video since the last reboot when you do it. It's best just to change the setting in the file and reboot.