Am I screwed?

scubieman

Reaction score
Did you make sure to mount your system before going and restoring/installing a ROM?

Also The only use I found from ROMmanager is rebooting into recovery. Otherwise I found ROM on internet download and transfer via USB to droid then I use install zip from SD card. Otherwise in my opionion I stay away from ROMmanager.

Also how did you install sbf? Like did you have to boot phone to stock recovery then start process? I want to know in case I brick my phone?

--Regarding mounting /system with rubiX: With any builds of rubiX past the PATCHED version (which includes FIX version).. I helped DRod with a few things on the ROM, including completely re-writing the install script from scratch, so formatting /system is not required. The installer does it for ya.

--Rom Manager: And I've had pretty good luck with ROM Manager. Easier for those who don't want to do it the "hard way".. ;) AND, can list patches there, so simple as checking the box... vs. installing the rom, and searching for all the patches in a thread... ;)

--Pretty sure the recovery he's referring to is stock recov. Just don't try this if you've OTA'd to 2.2 o_O

Thanks for response.

I will still mount system just in case some ROMS do not have the added feature you have.

Also you are right about ROM manager and it is very good at that and that's how I found Rubix .5.

Last question is I did the OTA 2.2 update? Can I still flash SPF or am I a screwed? And if I can flash SPF how do I do it. Right now just running stock OTA 2.2 but it's rooted.

sephtin

Reaction score
Did you make sure to mount your system before going and restoring/installing a ROM?

Also The only use I found from ROMmanager is rebooting into recovery. Otherwise I found ROM on internet download and transfer via USB to droid then I use install zip from SD card. Otherwise in my opionion I stay away from ROMmanager.

Also how did you install sbf? Like did you have to boot phone to stock recovery then start process? I want to know in case I brick my phone?

--Regarding mounting /system with rubiX: With any builds of rubiX past the PATCHED version (which includes FIX version).. I helped DRod with a few things on the ROM, including completely re-writing the install script from scratch, so formatting /system is not required. The installer does it for ya.

--Rom Manager: And I've had pretty good luck with ROM Manager. Easier for those who don't want to do it the "hard way".. ;) AND, can list patches there, so simple as checking the box... vs. installing the rom, and searching for all the patches in a thread... ;)

--Pretty sure the recovery he's referring to is stock recov. Just don't try this if you've OTA'd to 2.2 o_O

Thanks for response.

I will still mount system just in case some ROMS do not have the added feature you have.

Also you are right about ROM manager and it is very good at that and that's how I found Rubix .5.

Last question is I did the OTA 2.2 update? Can I still flash SPF or am I a screwed? And if I can flash SPF how do I do it. Right now just running stock OTA 2.2 but it's rooted.

Because of changes in the OTA 2.2, if you actually took the update from Verizon over the air.. if your phone gets stuck and you can't get into clockwork recovery, you're done. Unless someone has found a way around it.. Once you OTA to 2.2, if you flash the 2.1 SBF from the default recovery, you'll brick the phone.

I have not heard of success or failure regarding going to the 2.2 .sbf (a partial .sbf file, not a full restore like the 2.1) from stock recovery.. if the problem is def. within the /system directory, it's possible that it would fix...
Never been in that situation, so .. not sure. Would need to look it up.

scubieman

Reaction score
I just would like to know how to do it to be safe. I guess Im new to flashing ROM since first time I did it was last night. I want to make sure if I screw up I can hopefully get out of it.

i just want to know if I brick or if I need to bring it to stock. Everytime I went to verzion anyways they barely looked at it and gave me new phone. But like I said just in case.

sephtin

Reaction score
I just would like to know how to do it to be safe. I guess Im new to flashing ROM since first time I did it was last night. I want to make sure if I screw up I can hopefully get out of it.

i just want to know if I brick or if I need to bring it to stock. Everytime I went to verzion anyways they barely looked at it and gave me new phone. But like I said just in case.

Only 2 ways I know of to get it back to as close to stock as possible.

--If you have NOT instlalled OTA 2.2, you can always .sbf back to 2.1, and you're set.

--If you have, then I hope you did a nandroid backup of the 2.2 OTA install.. and then just remove the bootloader hack, root, (etc.).. and you should be ok.

scubieman

Reaction score
sephtin I did find a forum that uses blackglass theme to go back to Stock. I do thank you for your help. I think I figured all out incase I hose myself :) Happy droid.

nerdycookies

Reaction score
Had a DX, runing OTA 2.2. Rooted Deodexed Boostrapped (flashed several ROMS and themes prior to this). Installed a ROM thru ROM manager and am now stuck at the M. phone won't boot back into clockwork recovery were all the backup are stored I can't get into adb at all. Should I be calling verizon at this point?

reflash it !! with RSD lite 4.8
then your back into stock 2.2 then reinstall the bootstrapped by installing it on ASTRO then after installing bootstapped reboot with Clockwork then restore ur back up !

NYDroid

Reaction score
Scubie, let me share my experience with you, and yes, I did mount the system. What I was running before my DX drama this morning is the ZapxZeamer RC3 with the 928 Blackglass theme, OTA 2.2, rooted obviously and deoxidized. Prior to that, I had FlyX and installed that thru the Rom Manager. It went well, but wasn't my cup of tea. Zap was great, but I didn't do it through the ROM manager, but via USB Mass. That went well too, until I messed up on installing the 928 and ended up pulling the battery. From that point on, phone wasn't the same. I was still rooted, and the theme remained. However, all the bloatware came back...even Twitter.

This is why I decided this morning to do a "quick painless" install through the ROM manager. First, I downloaded Rubix 0.5 Focused thru Rom Manager. It prompt me with 3 things and I checked off all of them. However, I cancelled on wiping cache and format there. I went straight to, bootstrap recovery, reboot recovery, mounts and storage, format system, format data, format cache, install zip From SDCard.
Problem was, after the formatting was done, I can't find Rubix anywhere. I scour every folder I had in SD..and there was nothing.

I knew this was bad news but I tried my luck to reboot, stuck at the M. I pulled battery once, twice, three times, stuck at the M.

Athough I will admit I'm a noob at this, I wasn't unprepared. I always make sure my battery is at 100% before I try new rom. And I'm running the Verizon extended battery. I also have a stock battery that's fully charged. Then I ran RSDLite 4.8.
Set it on first come first serve. On my X, I got to the bootloader screen by holding down camera button first, down volume, then power button. Finally, connecting the USB to my PC. Once RSD detected my X, I loaded the 2.3.13 sys only sbf.

Then came the 2nd problem, which took the longest. When I first loaded the sbf, the start button on RSD remained gray. After a bit of a research, I just copied the sbf files in a few difference places (desktop, motorola folder, c: drive..etc) until I see the RSD start button, then the flash process begin. Once it was complete, took about 10 mins, the phone was back to stock.

scubieman

Reaction score
I cancelled on wiping cache and format there. I went straight to, bootstrap recovery, reboot recovery, mounts and storage, format system, format data, format cache, install zip From SDCard.
Problem was, after the formatting was done, I can't find Rubix anywhere. I scour every folder I had in SD..and there was nothing.

I don't believe you need to format data, format cache. I never have. And you probably know this now but make sure to use the backup when in recovery. Once loaded to actually ROM then go into USB mass storage and rename the folder to something different. It usually is the date/time which I found confusing. I just named as what I want.

Also unsure if this is again droidforums but can you post a link to the where you found the SBF or send me a PM. I want to make sure I have a good copy in case needed. I would rather be over prepared then under prepared.

sephtin

Reaction score
I cancelled on wiping cache and format there. I went straight to, bootstrap recovery, reboot recovery, mounts and storage, format system, format data, format cache, install zip From SDCard.

I don't believe you need to format data, format cache. I never have. And you probably know this now but make sure to use the backup when in recovery. Once loaded to actually ROM then go into USB mass storage and rename the folder to something different. It usually is the date/time which I found confusing. I just named as what I want.

Also unsure if this is again droidforums but can you post a link to the where you found the SBF or send me a PM. I want to make sure I have a good copy in case needed. I would rather be over prepared then under prepared.

You can get weirdness when going from one install/ROM to another (example: rubiX Focused to rubiX Focused, you should be ok, but stock 2.2 to rubiX Blurry, could be problematic, etc.)...
Data/cache is still recommended for a clean install of any ROM. If you don't wipe data/cache, and you have issues, the first thing I would suggest to someone, is re-installing, and trying that. :S

HTH!

scubieman

Reaction score
I Wipe Data/Cache then Mount System. I then install for sd card. I only went from stock to rubix. Any issues you see sephtin

sephtin

Reaction score
I Wipe Data/Cache then Mount System. I then install for sd card. I only went from stock to rubix. Any issues you see sephtin

Nah, no need to mount system from the PATCHED versions of rubiX or newer.. done via install script.

Uhmm, other suggestions: Don't restore via titanium backup. In the rubiX threads, probably the #1 cause of issues. :S

sephtin

Reaction score
Thank you. I was about to restore apps using titanium backup.

*whew*.. glad you didn't. It's a horrible feeling telling someone that they have to go through all that work again to reinstall a ROM from scratch for something that seems so trivial. :(

scubieman

Reaction score
i do have a running copy of Rubix as one of my backup's I'm about ready to clear my stock and jump over to rubix. It's nice knowing how to jump back in forth between stock and rubix stephin if I remember you run stock x? Do you know why I would kept getting force close and things like battery manager?

sephtin

Reaction score
i do have a running copy of Rubix as one of my backup's I'm about ready to clear my stock and jump over to rubix. It's nice knowing how to jump back in forth between stock and rubix stephin if I remember you run stock x? Do you know why I would kept getting force close and things like battery manager?

I have a copy of the first leaked version of 2.2 (2.3.9) that I keep going back to for testing stock purposes, but run rubiX Focused most of the time...

Tired, so drawing a blank. I know there are others that have posted that same issue o_O. But I can't remember if it was one of the things that Moto announced was a known issue, and are working on a fix for (?), or if it was something that there was a fix already for. I'll have to do some digging on that.

Only suggested fix I know of for "most" FC's, is someone suggested runing the Permissions fix from within ROM Manager. I've never run it, but I've never had FC's with Batt Manager either.. so *shrug*...

If it's on stock 2.2 (any version).. best suggestion I have, is pop that question in the help forums here and/or droidxforums. (Search first, obviously.. hehe).. Hopefully someone will have experienced the same thing, and if lucky someone will have a fix. ;)

GL!