Am I rooted or not....

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Chipo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Chipo

Chipo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying to flash a custom rom for the first time. I had a friend root my phone a while back with a one click root. After studying the boards countless hours on how to flash a custom rom I figured there wasn't much more than I had to do when I loaded froyo from these boards.

I discussed my difficulties for flashing the rom on another thread and one of the responses suggested that I may have lost root. He suggested it because of my difficulties with recovery, inability to reload my backup, problems with rom manager, etc. On the other hand I can still use rom manager (which requires root access to run), I have a working wireless tether, I still have superuser app, and most recently downloaded a terminal app and was able to get to superuser ($ to # or viceversa when u type su) question: is there a middle of the road when it comes to root? What do u guys think the problem is (other than the obvious noobitis here) thanks

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

2. gonnadie4thegov

Ratings:
    +0
    open the app drawer, and see if the su icon is there....if it is you are rooted

you could also open up the su app and see the apps that are using the su access

3. Chipo

Chipo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it that cut and dry? If that's true I'm rooted and have no idea what the problem is with rom manager or my ability to flash a rom.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

4. FranklinWalker

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah you should re-root it

5. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    Just because you have su in your app drawer doesn't mean you have root.
    ROM manager can be difficult sometimes. Do you know if your friend rooted it before 2.2 was released?
    If he used a one click root, and 2.2 came along it could have broken it.

Sent from OG Droid using the Droidforums App.

6. mtnbkrbob

mtnbkrbob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    umm im not an expert but if you think its not rooted properly. then just follow the droid1 rooting guide Root D1 Regardless of OS Version. plus if rom manager is giving you a problem why not flash the rom in recovery? like i said im not an expert but couldnt you just reroot it even if it was rooted? maybe your not unlocked or deoxed or you dont have busybox installed? i think some roms and themes need certain things in order to be flashed. try to download busybox upgrade from the market. if your able to update it then your fully rooted and unlocked but if you cant then your not. but i could be wrong?