Am I protected against updates???

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jim 777, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I searched but there was a plethora of pages and I couldn't find it so I hope this hasn't already been beat up.

With all the time I've spent rooting and customizing my phone getting it the way I want it, I started thinking about the 2.1 update... or any others for that matter.

I used to want the update badly, but then after rooting, I don't want them screwing it up. Are those rooted with ROMs installed protected from updates that are "pushed" (if that's the correct term) to our phones? Is there something we should be sure to due to keep our set ups?

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I used Matth3W's process to root. Here is part of his process:

34. Delete the previous update.zip file both from your computer and the root of your SD card to prevent confusion, if it is still there...if you don't feel like deleting the old version just overwrite the existing file but make sure this next file overwrites or replaces the old update.zip that we used to root your phone. Download the Bugless Beast ROM here. Note that it is the same file name as the update.zip that rooted your phone. Make sure, once again, that your file is named update.zip, not update.zip.zip (as before). This file should be ABOUT 70MB.

35. Just like in step 2, put the update.zip file on the root of your SD card then unplug the phone when you are done.

36. Power off the phone.

37. Reboot into SPRecovery by powering on the phone and holding in the X key on the hardware keyboard, just like you did before.

38. Choose install.

39. Choose allow update.zip installation. Don't forget this step. If you do, you will get "installation blocked" or something to that effect. This is the feature that prevent OTA updates from being able to be installed to your phone. In the future, if you want to accept a Google update for you phone you will need to download the file, then boot into this menu, and hit "allow update.zip installation" or it won't work.

I believe I read similar comments on the developers sites. What process did you use to root?

Mike

3. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I did use Matt's instructions but I was just a little uneasy with that part. The part about "allow update.zip installation" not allowing something was just confusing enough for me.

4. mwhartman

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm not positive but I'm interpreting it to mean that the update.zip has code that will block the OTA update.

Mike

5. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    there is a file in the phone (can't remember which directory or folder) that is called "otacerts.zip", as long as that is renamed to "otacerts.bak" you will not receive ota updates. all the custom roms out there should already have this done when you put it on your phone.

6. mwhartman

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks. I used RootExplorer and found the file in two folders

/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak and /system/etc/securtiy/otacerts.zip.bak

Look like BB 7.5 has blocked my updates.

Mike

7. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Nice, thanks for that!

Search tags for this page

kpw otacerts