Am I Out of Luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody3829

Reaction score
Got my G-NEX the day it came out and had it in an otter box case until about 3 days ago. Well today I dropped it and the screen cracked. Am I screwed or does anyone have any good suggestions for me? I don't have insurance so that isn't a option.

On a side note: I would expect the screen to withstand one drop. I can understand and deal with a scratch, but one drop resulting in a cracked screen is a bit ridiculous and makes the phone seem cheap.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
You can SEE if verizon will replace it. You do have a one year warranty with them.

I guess it just depends on how bad the screen is.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Don't think Verizon covers cracked screens. You could try, but I haven't heard too many people actually getting replacements.

Any phone, gorilla glass or not, if dropped at the right angle, the screen will crack. Unfortunately you happened to hit it at the right spot.

eagle923

Reaction score
If I remember, the insurance claims were quite pricey. You may be better just to find on off Craigslist, eBay, Rootz classifieds...etc.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
add insurance to your phone. wait a reasonable timeframe and claim it.

$99 deductible

ShinyTop

Reaction score
add insurance to your phone. wait a reasonable timeframe and claim it.

$99 deductible
That is insurance fraud. Pure and simple.

When mined was dropped and cracked three weeks after purchase I contacted Samsung and they replaced the screen for $160. Took about two weeks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What shinytop said.

Contact Samsung and have them replace the screen if Verizon won't give you a CLNR. Take your losses and learn from it.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Got my G-NEX the day it came out and had it in an otter box case until about 3 days ago. Well today I dropped it and the screen cracked. Am I screwed or does anyone have any good suggestions for me? I don't have insurance so that isn't a option.

On a side note: I would expect the screen to withstand one drop. I can understand and deal with a scratch, but one drop resulting in a cracked screen is a bit ridiculous and makes the phone seem cheap.

Cost about $160 to replace the glass by sending it to Samsung. But just for future reference, all phones will crack if they land on a hard enough surface. Glass shatters, especially if it lands on the corner where it's at it's weakest point. One drop, two drops, doesn't matter how many times it drops, if it hits on the corner or on a hard enough surface any glass will crack.

ShinyTop

Reaction score
Liderc is correct. My phone hit the dog dish when it dropped and it shattered outward from that point. Another time it dropped and landed flat on the screen and skidded several feet without scratching or breaking. It is all in how it hits.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Liderc is correct. My phone hit the dog dish when it dropped and it shattered outward from that point. Another time it dropped and landed flat on the screen and skidded several feet without scratching or breaking. It is all in how it hits.

So true. Also, earlier drops that may not show signs of damage can cause microscopic stress fractures that when hit later, even if only a gentle tap, can cause catastrophic failure. Sometimes it can even happen when no contact takes place due to temperature changes. There are a few threads about phones that were fine when placed on charge the night before but have shattered glass in the morning possibly caused by the battery warming while charging.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

wooooowwe

Reaction score
My Nexus has a nick in the bottom corner near battery door. Would I get charged 300+ for a replacement

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Reaction score
Glass quality has ZERO to do with it. The GN phone design has the glass surrounded by a thin plastic bezel.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My Nexus has a nick in the bottom corner near battery door. Would I get charged 300+ for a replacement

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
Considering it's more than likely you put the nick there, you can get a replacement for full price :D

52brandon

Reaction score
Glass quality has ZERO to do with it. The GN phone design has the glass surrounded by a thin plastic bezel.
that was my thoughts too. The fact that the screen gets so close to the edge of the phone looks great, but it's obviously going to have less protection. I absolutely ABUSED my MOTO Droid and the screen never cracked. My thunderbolt shattered after one drop onto concrete. Hopefully I wont know with my nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.