Am I on WiFi or 4Glte?? BOTH are lit at home????

JonEQuest

Reaction score
Like the post says I think I am still using 4Glte at the house even though I am registered to my wireles N router. I see both icons on the top. The idiot at the Verizon store could not answer how to tell what I was actually using but assured me that it would be on WiFi when at home. BUT I see My Verizon data usage number increasing after a day of web surfing on my sofa.

Claudia

Reaction score
Sorry I Can't help. But I'll be subscribing to this one.
I've wondered the same thing about my Bionic. My OG Droid would drop 3G on its own while on Wifi. Not these LTE phones.
My husband's Charge keeps both on also. I have toggle switches on my home screen to switch between them when I'm home. I had a Tasker profile to turn on wifi while at home on my OG Droid, but can't really do it on the Bionic, because LTE stays on anyway.

Hopefully someone knows for sure what goes on while wifi's on.

dlcramer

Reaction score
On my bionic when i am on wifi the wifi is blue and the 3g or 4g goes white. When both are blue I reset the wifi and that fixes the problem for me. It seems for me that when both are blue that the antenna is the one that is doing all the work. Don't know if thats any help.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
There was another thread on this same topic some where around. It appears that the LTE radio does not turn off when WIFI is activated like 3G does. People have made a smart action to turn off cellular data when WIFI is active, but if you do that you won't be able to send/receive multimedia messages.

OP
JonEQuest

JonEQuest

Reaction score
There was another thread on this same topic some where around. It appears that the LTE radio does not turn off when WIFI is activated like 3G does. People have made a smart action to turn off cellular data when WIFI is active, but if you do that you won't be able to send/receive multimedia messages.

That must be it then. I have seen both (WiFi and 4GLTE) lit up blue at the same time. They must have made the 4GLTE hard to lose. In Verizons defense they might have found that 4G had a hard time coming back if turned off and on a lot. Maybe that's why they opened the flood gates and gave us 4GLTE folks double data for the same price. I guess I won't worry until I get close to 4gb data. I may make a "kill 4G" widget on home screen in case I decide to motocast a movie or something. P.S. I LOVE motocast. that is what will most likely drain my data. I have it serving my HTPC and having all my music, home movies and 500 music videos with me at all times is pretty cool.

SallyC

Reaction score

I have read some posts on this but am still confused. So if I'm on wifi and my data is not lit up, I can't get MMS? Even though Data Enabled and Background Data are both checked in Settings, Data Manager?

Will I get a notice I need to turn on 3G/4G? Because sometimes I'm on wifi all day.

Thanks.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you have a smart action to turn off cellular data while on WIFI then no you won't get MMS. You can still of course get text messages, phone calls, and all the web surfing or market browsing. Just sending/receiving MMS won't work, it will tell you that it can't be done without cellular data turned on when you try.

Claudia

Reaction score
You'll get them, but if it contains a pic or something that requires download, it will ask you to turn on Data. At least mine does.
Or if you get one and you notice it doesn't download, just turn on your Data. Regular texts come right through.

SallyC

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I have Juice Defender manage wifi and data so I don't know if it's turned off or not. Sometimes I see the icon in white but sometimes just the wifi icon. But if I'll get a notice about it I'm good with that.

ITguy4

Reaction score
One comment about the Smart Action option. If you use a location based Smart Action at your house to turn off data, it will not necessarily turn back on when you leave your house. I have had a terrible time getting mine to go active and usually have to disable the Smart Action to get data to return. I am told that eventually it would do it on it's own, but it sure must take a while.

m3incorp

Reaction score
Hmmm Interesting..when at home and connected to wifi..wifi is in blue and 4GLTE is white. Mines does this automatically every time I walk into the house. Yes the 4G is on but it is using wifi for data as indicated by it being blue...you may want to try a reset...or manually turn 4G on and off to see what happens.

That must be it then. I have seen both (WiFi and 4GLTE) lit up blue at the same time. They must have made the 4GLTE hard to lose. In Verizons defense they might have found that 4G had a hard time coming back if turned off and on a lot. Maybe that's why they opened the flood gates and gave us 4GLTE folks double data for the same price. I guess I won't worry until I get close to 4gb data. I may make a "kill 4G" widget on home screen in case I decide to motocast a movie or something. P.S. I LOVE motocast. that is what will most likely drain my data. I have it serving my HTPC and having all my music, home movies and 500 music videos with me at all times is pretty cool.

m3incorp

Reaction score
I use wifi Auto..(a verizon app) that is in the market place. It turns wifi off automatically when I leave home and turns it back on when I get home, thus allowing location based smart actions to work without having to manually data on or off.

One comment about the Smart Action option. If you use a location based Smart Action at your house to turn off data, it will not necessarily turn back on when you leave your house. I have had a terrible time getting mine to go active and usually have to disable the Smart Action to get data to return. I am told that eventually it would do it on it's own, but it sure must take a while.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well when i run my wifi the data stays blue in most cases...thought it was all razr's but on occasion it will go white. And yes the wifi goes white and disappears when i leave it on and go out of range. .just be a bug needing to be worked out?

Anyone try the app Onlive? Nice!!
Peace!