1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Am I correct on backing up and changing roms?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Rento, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Rento

Rento New Member

So I just rooted my D1 lastnight... It went by really easy without a hitch, took about 1 hour, mostly reading... I used that one thread, rooting regardless of OS version... I don't know how I rooted it successfully, but I did. Don't really even know how. Haha.

Sooo I believe that means I have SPRecovery with nandroid (I guess it's built in with SPR???) and I have RSDLite... I forgot what that was even used for...

I backed up using Titainium Backup, no idea where the backup is saved...
    I also booted up in SPRecovery mode and made a complete data/app/misc/cache/recovery advanced backup using nandroid...

I haven't really done anything else, besides that... And tried messing around with Wireless Tether which is ungodly slow and doesn't allow me to use Stickam (which is the only reason as to I rooted in the first place...)

I was gonna overclock, but through reading, it seems that ROMs are like a complete package, overclocked and all.

So anyways... I believe i'ma try a ROM... Seems easier.

I was gonna do UltimateDroid but I think i'ma go with trying metiCkMod | FRG83D | Froyo 2.2.1 [Beta] first, see how things go that way...

What i'm wondering is:

Before I install a new ROM, I have to run "Wipe data/factory reset" and then run "wipe cache partition" before installing any new roms right?

How will this effect my current... setup? (I have "MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update" as my current update.zip file)

If I want to go back to stock, I just wipe data and cache and use the nandroid restore I did earlier right? Or do I have to run "MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update" as my current update then run a restore?

I think that's all I have to question for now... Thanks guys.
  2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

There is a guide in my signature to help you out. But you have a nandroid backup so you are halfway there.

Just do some reading in the link in my signature and you will be good to go.

Metickone is a great dev.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

Ok you're off to a good start. You can just flash a kernel to over clock if you want. Chevyno1's work very good, but ymmv and different kernels work better on different phones. That being said ROMs are the same. Metic does good work so that's a good start.

Its always a good idea to wipe data and cache in recovery before you flash a new ROM. This makes for a clean install. Now BEFORE you wipe make a backup, in this case you've already done it, but in the future if you have a good setup make a nandroid backup so you have a good working place to go back to.

Titanium backup is good for backing up your apps, do a full backup before flashing a ROM so everythings current. If you want to save txts I think handcent does this within the app or I use smsbackup just in case.

Hope this helps...you have the tools you need to move forward. You won't need anymore of the rsdlite or sbfs unless you get into real trouble.

Good luck...

Sent from somewhere...
  4. Rento

Rento New Member

Hot dang! Fast responses! Thanks guys, helped a lot!

I'll come back to this thread if I have questions.
  5. guidot

We pride ourselves on fast, professional responses. dancedroid

6. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Make sure there is always a nandroid backup on your phone if not multiple ones. If you get a bootloop your phone is not bricked. The forums can help you with that. I recommend using on demand for your over clocking governor.

Sent from Tyler Perry's Row 11
  7. Rento

Rento New Member

What is on demand?

Also, how do I install the google apps back on my phone and other addons he has listed, I'm guessing they are removed in the base metiCkMod?
  8. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

On demand is a setting in setcpu, an app that governs you clock speeds.

Kernels are flashed like ROMs, they are update.zips as well, and you flash them after the ROM. ROMs come with their own kernels so to change them just find a kernel and flash it after the ROM you like.
    The addons and google/gapps are flashed like ROMs too. They are all update.zips
    Sent from somewhere...
  9. Stelv

Stelv New Member

You have to install google apps separately with his rom. Install kernel and gapps right over rom after it boots up and it is installed. Do not wipe when installing gapps and kernels. Check out thread called overclocking 101 for setcpu and governors. If you don't overclock correctly it will eat your battery. each rom has suggested kernels. See what is suggested for metickone.

10. Rento

Rento New Member

Thanks a ton guys.

I do however have a couple last few questions, the only one I can remember though is, what is a deodexed rom? I want to install this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/metickone/107258-theme-revolution-metickmod.html

By the way, I just installed the metiCkMod and when I went into the market, all my previous apps were installing... What's the point of titainium mod if all my previous apps were going to already be installed?
  11. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Saves you having to download them. Also restores your data and such.

Finally, all AOSP ROMs need to have the Google apps installed separately as the devs are not legally licensed to distribute them with the ROM.
  12. Rento

Rento New Member

Sooo... What's a Deodexed rom? I'm ready to revolutionize this D1 haha.
  13. furbearingmammal

You have to wipe between ROM installs. As far as the average user is concerned deodexed just means you can theme it. :)
  14. Rento

Rento New Member

I don't know how to install any of the Revolution theme... I got launcher pro but I can't find any way to install the .apk files from there... and I have no idea how to install REVOlution-metiCkMod.zip

I'ma go look for a kernel in the meantime...
  15. guidot

Themes are just like roms. You flash with sprecovery just like you did the rom. I use chevy 1.1ghz with metickmod. You will have to experiment with kernels though.

16. Stelv

Stelv New Member

The modified launcher pro apks you will have to launch through a file explorer like astro. Click on apk file and select launch app manager.

17. Rento

Rento New Member

Yeah, I got as far as installing the customized Launcher Pro (found no difference between it and the market LP...) I flashed the theme as well.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get the dock to change.
  18. furbearingmammal

Look in the settings.
  19. Rento

Rento New Member

I did.. a million times, can't find a way to change the dock appearance to the Revolution one... Is there anything I have to do with the .zip file? I read the caption more than once...

Also... I just now noticed that I have been running the new metiCkMod | FRG83D | Froyo 2.2.1 [Beta] and not the Deodexed FRG83D m1v2 rom.... So I kinda give up on theming for now.

I don't have the motivation to restore back to stock FRG38D and then reflash over to the Deodexed FRG83D m1v2...

I hope this beta is stable enough to run a new kernel... Going to do that right now.
  20. furbearingmammal

You don't need to restore, just wipe.