Am I Better Off Downloading Contacts From Google?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by magikmarkur, Jul 14, 2010.

1. magikmarkur

magikmarkur New Member

When I get to BB tomorrow they are going to offer to transfer my contacts.

Should I let them do it that way or am i better off downloading them from GMail?
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. Mojo

Mojo New Member

just download them from google.
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

It's a Google phone. Contacts are stored in gmail. Calendar comes from Google.

Yes, do everything in Google if you can.
  4. JimmK

JimmK New Member

can someone explain how to get them on google? is this through your email?

i was just going to use back up assistant.
  5. hookbill

I don't know how it will work with X. Backup assistant doesn't work with Moto Droid, but it worked with Incredible. I'd ask Verizon to do it for you.
  6. hendrix

hendrix New Member

Yes, your g-mail contacts will sync to your phone. There are numerous ways to get contacts into gmail, just google "Transfer contacts from [insert my phone] to gmail"
  7. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

setup your google account, synch. done.
  8. JimmK

JimmK New Member

Thanks! worked easily.
  9. magikmarkur

magikmarkur New Member

So I should be like ok cool thanks BB I'll take care of the contacts thing later? LOL

Note: Can't wait to get this thing!!
  10. JFDroid

JFDroid New Member

Use backup assistant on your current phone and back up your contacts. Then sign-in to Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 3G Smartphones, the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless with your phone # and password. At the top, click on "My Services" and go down and click on "Backup Assistant".

It should pull your contacts there if you backed them up. If they don't show, go to your phone and run backup assistant and then re-sign in to VZW and check the backup assistant page again to refresh it.

Once you see your contacts, on the top left of the page is a thing that says "ALL - A - B - C - D" etc, all the way through the alphabet until Z. Click on All so that you are viewing a list of ALL your contacts. Then, on the top right click on "Select All" and it will select all of your contacts.

Then on any contact hover over the gear and click where it says "export contact". With all your contacts selected, it will offer to export all your contacts in CSV (excel comma separated values format). Do this and it'll download a file to your PC. Remember where the file is downloaded to. To make it easier, move the saved file to your desktop.

Then, open g-mail via mail.google.com (then sign-in) and on the bottom left click on "contacts". On the top right should be a link that says "Import". Click that. Then click select file or choose file and browse to the CSV file you downloaded, click it, and hit open. Then your contacts are imported into your GMail for you.

There, a quick, simple and accurate guide of how-to run backup assistant on your phone, export your contacts to your PC, then re-import them into GMail.

Once you sign in to your Droid X, if this is done ahead of time, all your contacts will d/l instantly to the phone.

Note: remember to change your contacts in GMail (or on your phone once you're logged in) to "mobile" as the type of phone number if it's a number you want to be able to send texts to.

Android limits you to only being able to send texts to numbers that are listed as "mobile". If a number is listed as "home" or "work", Android assumes it's a landline and doesn't let you text that number unless you edit the field that determines what type of number it is and make it "mobile".
  11. hookbill

Will this work with any Droid? Because I was in the Verizon Store when my contacts were transferred to my phone. Of course my contacts were already in gmail.

I liked your instructions, this one post would make a nice sticky.
  12. JFDroid

JFDroid New Member

Well, it'll work for any Droid if you're using backup assistant on a non-Droid phone, exporting through My Verizon, then importing into Google and then signing in to any Droid through said Google account. The answer is yes.

However, the original Motorola Droid doesn't have backup assistant (because it doesn't need it - you just import contacts into GMail and it syncs them wirelessly to your phone upon signing in).
  13. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

All you have to do is sign in to your Gmail account like you would normally do anyways. When I went from Tmo with the G1, to Verizon with the Droid, all my contacts were on my new phone after I signed into my Gmail. You don't have to use my backup assistant, thats what the Google cloud is for.
  14. JFDroid

JFDroid New Member

Exactly. They are stored in the cloud on your g-mail account, so if you get a new Android phone, your contacts will be 100% the same as your old phone when you sign in to the new phone.
Search tags for this page

where are contacts stored in droid 1 a855