Am I alone here?

Nick177th

Reaction score
Who promised you these? I never got this promise... I feel left out.

But seriously, Google, Motorola, and Verizon are under zero obligation to give us upgrades. They sold us a device with certain advertised features and it does all of those things (everything discussed in their "Droid Does" advertising campaign is feasible with the phone. Plus, it's advertising. It's just a catchy way to sell phones. They never said Droid Does Everything a phone can possibly do"... it's just marketing). It would be completely within their rights to produce the phone and then drop the project completely if they wanted. Despite talk of possible add ons, they don't have to send us anything. And the fact that they are trying to give us upgrades when they don't have to means they can take as long as they need to and include whatever they like.

Isn't that sort of "iPhone"ish to you? I'm gonna put the horse to bed after this one last post. I love this phone. I really do. However, when I bought this smartphone, I expected (and maybe that was my error) it to do everything a "dumb" phone would do and more. I don't mean bells and whistles either. I mean basic phone functions. And technology is advanced enough now to the point where Bluetooth voice commands is a basic phone function. I'm not gonna speak in absolutes here, so I'll say, almost every dumb phone can do that. We own what many consider to be one of the two best smart phones on the planet right now. And it can't dial a number from your bluetooth? The thing that upsets me the most is I've never heard a peep from anyone (Google/Android/Moto/Verzon) about addressing this.

Again, I'm not flaming on the phone. The phone can't fix itself. Just "enable" the function. Jeez, it is THAT hard? If so, that's an easy fix for me next time I upgrade. I simply won't purchase another Android based phone. we're not talking about "live" wallpapers here. or pinch to zoom. This is a safety function that is disabled on the best phone on the market. I'm done now. No more comments on this subject from me.

joeymoose

Reaction score
Solid point. It is a safety issue and a law in many states. Maybe I should load my Motorola Razr ROM onto my Droid...:)

Who promised you these? I never got this promise... I feel left out.

But seriously, Google, Motorola, and Verizon are under zero obligation to give us upgrades. They sold us a device with certain advertised features and it does all of those things (everything discussed in their "Droid Does" advertising campaign is feasible with the phone. Plus, it's advertising. It's just a catchy way to sell phones. They never said Droid Does Everything a phone can possibly do"... it's just marketing). It would be completely within their rights to produce the phone and then drop the project completely if they wanted. Despite talk of possible add ons, they don't have to send us anything. And the fact that they are trying to give us upgrades when they don't have to means they can take as long as they need to and include whatever they like.

Isn't that sort of "iPhone"ish to you? I'm gonna put the horse to bed after this one last post. I love this phone. I really do. However, when I bought this smartphone, I expected (and maybe that was my error) it to do everything a "dumb" phone would do and more. I don't mean bells and whistles either. I mean basic phone functions. And technology is advanced enough now to the point where Bluetooth voice commands is a basic phone function. I'm not gonna speak in absolutes here, so I'll say, almost every dumb phone can do that. We own what many consider to be one of the two best smart phones on the planet right now. And it can't dial a number from your bluetooth? The thing that upsets me the most is I've never heard a peep from anyone (Google/Android/Moto/Verzon) about addressing this.

Again, I'm not flaming on the phone. The phone can't fix itself. Just "enable" the function. Jeez, it is THAT hard? If so, that's an easy fix for me next time I upgrade. I simply won't purchase another Android based phone. we're not talking about "live" wallpapers here. or pinch to zoom. This is a safety function that is disabled on the best phone on the market. I'm done now. No more comments on this subject from me.

M

Matth3w

Anyone is really quite foolish in my opinion if you bought something based on what it COULD be as opposed to what it really IS at the moment you bought it. No manufacturer is required to provide updates for anything unless it is specifically mentioned in some sort of contract. Yes, they do it to keep current customers happy and willing to buy more Droid devices in the future and pass along a good word...

But they don't have to whatsoever. Why you would buy a phone based on hope that it would do something stupid like have live wall papers or you name it sometimes in the unforeseeable future is absolutely beyond me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This thread has gone on too long and should now hopefully will die peacefully.

zz500

Reaction score
Wait... one more thing -- Notice the OP creates this thread then disappears back under the bridge while people duke it out. Trolls usually live alone, so the title is appropriate.

Alright, die thread. Rest In Peace

M

Matth3w

Probably because the thread didn't quite go the way the OP expected.

OP
A

anderld47

Reaction score
OP here.

Thanks for the responses and sorry I haven’t gotten back until now. Between the Olympics, swaping two motors into my Jeep and trying not to burn down my garage, I haven't replied.

When I first posted I was in a less than stellar mood. Now in rereading it I can see that my positives about the phone were less than not there. I do love this phone in many ways and that is the reason I still have it. The Market and the apps are truly addicting. I can come up with a Peter Griffin fart and have the app available to give the volume it occupies under different temperatures and pressures. The calculator I downloaded day one is by far the best I’ve had including dedicated units (ok there is one hp I had that beat it but that was a long time ago). The thing is lightning fast and looks tits. The screen size and sharpness are nowhere else to be found and even makes looking at the home screen a pleasure.

I guess my first mistake was expecting the salesperson at the Verizon Store to be honest or maybe more informed. He told me (when I bought this in November) as did the person I talked to later on the Verizon 611 line, that tethering was expected sometime in January. The person responding about the flash reader was right, my mistake it is coming in q2.

And I was told that I could use my Bluetooth to dial. Later when I complained to Verizon, the 611 person asked, “you can’t?” as though she thought I could. As one of the responders to my post stated, it is almost a basic phone function. A function that has been on two other phones I’ve owned. Hands free operation is a law in Calif as in many other states. When I am driving, retrieving my phone, pushing the button on top to activate it and then looking to locate the green button, dragging it to the right then pushing the voice dial is not under the heading of convenient or well thought out.

This is not my first smart phone. I’ve had a Blackberry 8330 for the last year and a half. Having birthday notifications happen on my calendar from my contacts was a nice feature, and one can really cut or copy from almost anywhere and paste it almost anywhere. I’ve got an app to take care of the birthday thing and wish I could find something to do the same in the cut, copy, paste area. It's something I used frequently. I know that because I wasn’t happy with the speed or screen of the BB I left the platform to go to the Droid, but I guess I expected more out of the Droid. As a new smart phone developed in conjunction with Google, I expected it to do as much as and then exceed its predecessors. My mistake, I guess I just keep looking.