am i alone here or is pinch to shrink an odd thing

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Am i alone here or is "pinch to shrink" an odd thing?

Everyone calls it pinch to zoom but they should call it "pinch to shrink" because that's what happens. "Pinch does not zoom"!

I just started using dolphin browser and this "pinch to shrink" gesture is odd.
I feel like i have severe arthritis.

dwagner88

Reaction score
At first I thought so but now that I am used to it on bugless beast I prefer it. Its nice to be able to zoom in as you want instead of snapping to a pre-determined level. Sometimes tap to zoom is convenient, bu I prefer pinch now.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use it constantly while surfing with xScope browser. I actually use my thumbs while holding the phone in landscape mode. It makes it remarkably easy to zoom in or out. When everyone starting talking about it, I thought it was a silly visual gimmick. But now I'm hooked and am not interested in any other type of zoom method.

The commonly accepted name is catchy, but I agree with you it is a misnomer.

mikes

Reaction score
Yep, "pinch to shrink," "spread to zoom."

It's like "multimedia," or pronouncing the prefix "giga-" as "gigga." It's incorrect, but a lot of people who should know better make the error.

Correct are "multimedium," and "jigga-." Media is plural, multi- implies plurality, so multimedia is redundant (no one says "fill out this multiparts form," cars don't have "multiports fuel injection"). "Giga-" is the root for "gigantic," and is correctly pronounced similarly (like Doc in Back to the Future - "gigawatts").

gentlefury

Reaction score
Yep, "pinch to shrink," "spread to zoom."

It's like "multimedia," or pronouncing the prefix "giga-" as "gigga." It's incorrect, but a lot of people who should know better make the error.

Correct are "multimedium," and "jigga-." Media is plural, multi- implies plurality, so multimedia is redundant (no one says "fill out this multiparts form," cars don't have "multiports fuel injection"). "Giga-" is the root for "gigantic," and is correctly pronounced similarly (like Doc in Back to the Future - "gigawatts").

Actually Doc Brown pronounced it wrong in BTTF......it is pronounced with a hard G....has nothing to do with gigantic...it's just like many other words in the english language that look like that should be pronounced differently and yet aren't.

Medium means hand created tools like paint and charcoal...mixed medium is using many types together. Media is what we call digital storage devices....as in what media is it stored on. Multimedia means multiple types of media....so a multimedia project could mean it is intended for film, tv, and internet consumption....or it could mean you have a dvd that contains music, graphics, and video.

As for Pinch to Zoom...you are entirely correct...it is backwords...you pinch to shrink, and it is very uncomfortable and people only want it because they think they are missing out on something that iphone has. I can't stand Dolphin because it doesn't have dbl tap zoom...that is all I do with the browser. Pinch is nice to get more specific zoom levels but its not for every type of zoom.

mikes

Reaction score
Actually Doc Brown pronounced it wrong in BTTF. .....it is pronounced with a hard G....has nothing to do with gigantic.
No, you are exactly wrong. From the greek, gigas, meaning giant. Hence, gigantic.

It's all referenced quite clearly on Wikipedia:
"In English, the initial g of giga can be pronounced /ɡ/ (a hard g as in giggle), or /dʒ/ (a soft g as in its Greek root's meaning, giant).[3]

This latter pronunciation was formalized within the United States in the 1960s and 1980s with the issue by the US National Bureau of Standards of pronunciation guides for the metric prefixes. A prominent example is found in the pronunciation of gigawatts in the 1985 movie Back to the Future."

Medium means hand created tools like paint and charcoal...mixed medium is using many types together. Media is what we call digital storage devices..
You really aren't very literate, are you? Yes, that is one of the meanings of "medium." A medium is also a channel of communications, such as audio or video. The misnomer "multimedia" is used to refer to communications streams containing multiple medium types. Media is the plural of medium.

I'll again cite a reference, usage notes for the word "medium," from the American Heritage Dictionary:
The etymologically plural form media is often used as a singular to refer to a particular means of communication, as in The Internet is the most exciting new media since television. Many people regard this usage as incorrect, preferring medium in such contexts. · People also use media with the definite article as a collective term to refer not to the forms of communication themselves so much as the communities and institutions behind them. In this sense, the media means something like "the press." Like other collective nouns, it may take a singular or plural verb depending on the intended meaning. If the point is to emphasize the multifaceted nature of the press, a plural verb may be more appropriate: The media have covered the trial in a variety of formats.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Either way i like it, and I like it on the native browser. Ever since I rooted I rarely use the dolphin browser. THe only time I use dolphin, If I want to use the full desktop site. I have dolphin set to desktop user agent. So I can get the full nfl.com site. full bank site if I need it, etc.

A1deerhunter

Reaction score
Actually Doc Brown pronounced it wrong in BTTF. .....it is pronounced with a hard G....has nothing to do with gigantic.
No, you are exactly wrong. From the greek, gigas, meaning giant. Hence, gigantic.

It's all referenced quite clearly on Wikipedia:
"In English, the initial g of giga can be pronounced /ɡ/ (a hard g as in giggle), or /dʒ/ (a soft g as in its Greek root's meaning, giant).[3]

This latter pronunciation was formalized within the United States in the 1960s and 1980s with the issue by the US National Bureau of Standards of pronunciation guides for the metric prefixes. A prominent example is found in the pronunciation of gigawatts in the 1985 movie Back to the Future."

Medium means hand created tools like paint and charcoal...mixed medium is using many types together. Media is what we call digital storage devices..
You really aren't very literate, are you? Yes, that is one of the meanings of "medium." A medium is also a channel of communications, such as audio or video. The misnomer "multimedia" is used to refer to communications streams containing multiple medium types. Media is the plural of medium.

I'll again cite a reference, usage notes for the word "medium," from the American Heritage Dictionary:
The etymologically plural form media is often used as a singular to refer to a particular means of communication, as in The Internet is the most exciting new media since television. Many people regard this usage as incorrect, preferring medium in such contexts. · People also use media with the definite article as a collective term to refer not to the forms of communication themselves so much as the communities and institutions behind them. In this sense, the media means something like "the press." Like other collective nouns, it may take a singular or plural verb depending on the intended meaning. If the point is to emphasize the multifaceted nature of the press, a plural verb may be more appropriate: The media have covered the trial in a variety of formats.

If it was on wikipedia it must be true. :wink:

jasonb

Reaction score
you are right, it is backwards.

personally i now love pinch to zoom. it takes some getting used to, and if it doesn't work smoothly it can be very frustrating. for me it has worked the best on AdamZ Smoked Glass v4.5. it is super smooth on this rom, but it wasn't so smooth for me when i was using Bugless Beast.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about it is I use my droid with one hand mostly and I find pinch to zoom a 2 handed feature, maybe I just need to practice more.

Edit: That's what she said heh

jasonb

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about it is I use my droid with one hand mostly and I find pinch to zoom a 2 handed feature, maybe I just need to practice more.

Edit: That's what she said heh

i two hand mine when browsing the web so i like the pinch to zoom.

gentlefury

Reaction score
gigabyte in English - Google Dictionary

but you can keep being laughed at when you say jiggabyte.

i must be illiterate for pronouncing a word correctly.

do you also pronounce good the same as food....or maybe home the say as come....how do you say comb? Yup there are words that should be pronounced one way but are pronounced another.