Always out of space

Discussion in 'Koush' started by Se7enLC, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nevermind, it's still having some issues. While it's running, it seems to be fine, but if I hard-power off or pull the battery, when it boots back up it first won't get past the boot animation until I pull the battery, then it thinks none of the applications are installed. After a few more reboots it seems to recover. Not sure what the issue is, but next time it happens I will run aLogCat and see if there's any useful logs (if I can run the app, that is)

2. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That's because you didn't safely unmount the sd-ext partition (it happens on occasion by itself and always if you forcefully reboot it with a battery pull), but a simple reboot will fix this by letting the phone properly unmount the partition before power cycling.

3. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I had everything working properly for a few days, then I did a power-off (from the hold-power-button menu). When I turned it back on, /sd-ext didn't mount. When I rebooted, /sd-ext mounted but the apps were still all screwed up. The third reboot ended up with a lot of force-closes on acore, requiring a battery pull. Next reboot, /sd-ext didn't mount, etc.

Once /sd-ext is mounted, is there maybe a way to force it to reload the application information?

4. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It kind of is as simple as that, it's actually a known issue with this method (since it is unofficial and all), if the sd-ext partition doesn't unmount properly before a power cycle; then it does a partition check on sd-ext on next reboot. This delays the partition mounting and your phone proceeds in it's boot up sequence ignoring the data in /sd-ext/data/app/ (and /sd-ext/data/data/ if you have that bind option turned on). And since your phone thinks /data/app/ is actually in internal memory, then it doesn't bother reloading applications from there once booted up, so the only way around it is to reboot.

5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My point is that rebooting doesn't seem to fix anything - it keeps coming up with no applications until I restore to a backup, no matter how many times I reboot. Even if it does successfully mount the /sd-ext partition on boot (perhaps it is being mounted too late, but no amount of rebooting seems to make it mount again quick enough, if that is the case).

I'm going to investigate the issue further and see if there's a particular situation that triggers it. I believe that it's whenever I take the battery out. Even if I shut the phone off first, that first boot after a battery swap tends to make things blow up.

6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like that triggers it pretty reliably. Once it fails to mount ONCE, it gives up on all the applications it thought were installed and doesn't look for them again, even if it mounts fine on future reboots. I think the "fix" is to make sure that it is not allowed to finish booting if it cannot mount /sd-ext - since if it DOES finish booting, it corrupts the installed packages database and can't be recovered without a restore.

I'm going to have to debug this using ADB - aLogcat doesn't give me a long enough scrollback. On a failed boot, There are so many "Application not found" messages that the actual sd-ext mounting error scrolls off the end and can't be found. I may try to modify the script to log to a file, but I don't believe that any files are writeable at the time the script is run (certainly not the SD card)
    Manually deleting packages.xml from the "real" /data partition STARTED to address the problem. Other apps showed up, but most of them were force-closing left and right, probably due to other differences in the /data/system and other directories.

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Huzzah! I got it working reliably!

I used the method found in this posting on xda as inspiration. I added the cm.filesystem.ready property to the end of the 05mountsd script and modified init.rc to delay sysinit until that property was true. I pulled the battery to corrupt the sd-ext filesystem, but the bootup completed fsck before allowing sysinit, preventing the problems I mentioned earlier.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Script][A2SD] Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.2 (10/03/2010)

I may package up this modification into an easily-installable .zip file, or I may just see if it can get included in the next CM release.

8. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice!

I'll probably need your help now to get this done, haha!

9. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Let Cyanogen know, offer it to the TeamDouche repository, and maybe drop Koush a line. He seems much more interested in the X/2 nowadays, but that's where the new development is heading anyway since the Droid is EOL now.

10. marty4short

marty4short Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to try your method if you don't mind posting the zip

11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

12. marty4short

marty4short Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive tried using the script twice every time I move my data/data folder everything seems to quit working and all my apps force close. It won't let me move anything back either. I don't know if re-partitioning my sd card would help at ll.

Search tags for this page
cm.filesystem.ready
cyanogenmod 10 out of space
cyanogenmod out of space
cyanogenmod storage space running out
miui storage space running out

motorola droid out of space

motorola droid running out of space

net 10 android constabtly out of space
storage space running out miui rom
why is my nexxus one always out of space