Alternatives to Google Maps

fishcad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Mini
I stuck with Blackberry for years because I didn't have to put any of my information in the cloud. The downside is BB's poor web browsing. I just got a Droid Mini (because it's small) and installed DejaOffice so I could sync my calendar and contacts to Outlook on my computer without giving all my information to Google. Now Google Maps will not work without syncing all my dates and contacts. Does anyone have a stand-alone map app that they like and does not require giving up your privacy? If not I'll just have to pull out the Garmin every time I need to find a business.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Nokia has the maps app called Here. The maps are even downloadable for offline use which saves you data.

It works as well as GMaps.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I haven't tried Ollie's suggestion of "Here" myself, because I gave in and drank the Google koolaid years ago, but I've heard great things about it and seen glowing reviews. That'd be my suggestion as well.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I stuck with Blackberry for years because I didn't have to put any of my information in the cloud. The downside is BB's poor web browsing. I just got a Droid Mini (because it's small) and installed DejaOffice so I could sync my calendar and contacts to Outlook on my computer without giving all my information to Google. Now Google Maps will not work without syncing all my dates and contacts. Does anyone have a stand-alone map app that they like and does not require giving up your privacy? If not I'll just have to pull out the Garmin every time I need to find a business.
A former Maps and VZnav user that has switched to Now. It's pretty generic vs the others but what it does it does correctly without a bunch of hassle and need for a data connection with its ability to download the map in advance vs just a tiny cache of Maps ability.
As far as the Maps requiring all your info?
ba00d282c703d246531a4b55000b523c.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The other syncing can be selectively turned off. You CAN use the Google maps without sharing anything else. Accounts - tap the Google account - tap on your account - uncheck what you do want syncing.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^I swear, Mark keeps that picture so handy, his whole family is likely very tired of seeing it.
86f849e5f764a4ae8cc5f7f15ad373d6.jpg

922e5029646c29943bd7ea4286bcef05.jpg

You're right. I needed to grab the updated one off my cloud.
My family is iSheep. They wouldn't understand so they've never seen any of my creations made with Picsay app.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I downloaded Nokia Here the day I heard about it and am impressed with it so far. I've only done my commute routes so far with it, but it's been accurate so far. The best part is the offline maps feature so I plan on keeping it as a backup.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Same here, I downloaded it but haven't used it. I like the offline map feature, that's why I have it as a backup map program. However, nothing will ever replace Google Maps for me.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Here is a great (and free) Maps alternative that will get you from point A to B, it also tells you the speed limit on most roads which is something Maps doesn't do.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I use Waze. I also use Google Maps. Both work for my purposes.

OP
fishcad

fishcad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Mini
Here asks for access to all the same information as Google Maps - contacts, files, etc. That's what I want to avoid. If anyone knows how to update Google Maps or knows of another map program that DOES NOT ask for all that information I would love to know. At least with my Blackberrys there was no Google account associated with them so I wasn't asked for all my info just to update a map.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at Navfree USA? It's been a while since I used it so I don't remember the permissions needed.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hate to break it to you, but if you don't want Google knowing everything about you, you might want to consider a different OS or going with a "dumb phone."

Even if you don't use maps, there are plenty of things that Google already has permission to collect as far as demographics data about you, simply because you agreed to their original terms of service and logged in to the phone with your account.