Alternatives to Gmail which work with Android?

Mercutio

Reaction score
With the Buzz fiasco, I'm looking at alternatives to Gmail - evidently, I was foolish to think that Google would maintain even the most minor modicum of decency. Replacing Gdocs is easy, as is Gtalk, but I'm stuck on Gmail.

Is there a decent web-based alternative? I don't want to use Yahoo either, and of course I am using a Moto Droid, so whatever I go with has to have a decent app in the Marketplace.

I imagine that most people here are using the entire Google suite, as am I, but am curious if anyone here has anything that they can recommend. The only decent alternative that quickly comes to mind is Apple's mail, but I don't think they have any Android apps out there.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Buzz fiasco? Did I miss something?

I have no desire to use Buzz at all, but that's doesn't prevent me from using Gmail just as I have for a number of years now. What exactly about Buzz is preventing you from doing the same?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I've been using Gmail since the first week it came out on Beta.
But I use MSOffice 2007 for all my doc needs.

Your not going to find a better Free service than Gmail.

carbine

Reaction score
As I've never been a big fan of ANYONE having access to my email besides me I set up my own mail server. Might not be the solution for anyone without a dedicated T1 line and a static IP but it works great for me. POP3/IMAP/SMTP support, all working perfectly in K9 on the Droid. Now if someone could just get together a GPG/PGP app...

As for alternative email, you can try out a service called Fusemail. It's what we use at work. There's a fee but its pretty small if I remember. Something around $2/mo per email address.

Edit: Also, using a Google Apps account I have no Buzz for my account, at least not yet. :p

Last edited:
OP
M

Mercutio

Reaction score
These links do a decent job describing some of the issues.

Shockingly, even turning off Buzz does not change anything - people can still follow you and peek your contact list.

WARNING: Google Buzz Has A Huge Privacy Flaw

Unofficial Buzz Privacy FAQ (version 1.0, 11-Feb-2010) - Gmail Help

Google FAQ said:
Q10: How do I block someone who is following me?A10: Click on Buzz on the left side of Gmail under Inbox. After that, on the right side of Gmail, at the top you should see your picture (if you have one), followed by your name, something about "connected sites", and then something about followers (all on one line).

Click the last link on that line that refers to "X follower(s)" and a popup will come up.
In the popup, you will see people's pictures and names listed.

If a person's name is a link with an underline and you want to block them, click on their name.
A page with their photo and name will come up. And Below their name it will say "XXX is following you - Block"
Click on Block to block them

If a person's name is not a link and has no underline, you cannot block that person.

loop4zil

Reaction score
With the Buzz fiasco, I'm looking at alternatives to Gmail - evidently, I was foolish to think that Google would maintain even the most minor modicum of decency. Replacing Gdocs is easy, as is Gtalk, but I'm stuck on Gmail.

Is there a decent web-based alternative? I don't want to use Yahoo either, and of course I am using a Moto Droid, so whatever I go with has to have a decent app in the Marketplace.

I imagine that most people here are using the entire Google suite, as am I, but am curious if anyone here has anything that they can recommend. The only decent alternative that quickly comes to mind is Apple's mail, but I don't think they have any Android apps out there.

Can't you opt out of Buzz? edit: never mind just read the above poster and links

Last edited:
OP
M

Mercutio

Reaction score
Can't you opt out of Buzz?

You can hide it from view, via the "Turn Off" button, but you can not opt-out or actually turn it off.

Even if you delete your Google profile and unfollow everyone, and block your blockable Buzz followers, you will still have your unblockable Buzz followers. They won't have anything to read or see at that point, but you'll still be on Buzz.

Last edited:

mrdroid

Reaction score
Yahoo works fine. I'm using 2 Gmail accounts, 1 Yahoo account and 2 Exchange accounts currently on the Droid. Obviously the Exchange accounts work the best so if you have the capacity to setup your own Exchange environment that is the way to go in my opinion.

OP
M

Mercutio

Reaction score
How do you like Yahoo's Android App? Any issues?