alphabetizing names in contact list

jimisbell

Reaction score
I dont understand something I guess because when I enter the names as Family Name = Last Name and Given Name = First Name, which was the way I learned it, the list is alphabetized by the first name, NOT the last name as one would expect.

Am I wrong???

dtsig

Reaction score
Nope you are correct. This is a "feature" of Droid contact app. There are contact apps you can get that allow sorting any way you want ...

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
Its a STUPID "feature" Must have been programed in India, obviously not in the US. I am putting the names in backwards so I can have a properly sorted list.

R

RETG

When a contact list comes over from the GMAIL contact list, does it come over as it is sorted in GMAIL?

I know GMAIL gives you an option of sorting by last name or first name.

Outlook evens give you the option of sorting via first or last name. Which I believe is common, since the software cannot distinquish between business or names of people.

sam5828

Reaction score
there is a setting in the phone that you can sort by last name first or first name last

dsttexas

Reaction score
"fix is coming"

According to rep at local Verizon store, this is a known problem on the Droid X, due to a Flash player issue which is said is being worked. My Droid X w/ver 2.2 android does not even show an option to sort the contacts list.

AMelis

Reaction score
According to rep at local Verizon store, this is a known problem on the Droid X, due to a Flash player issue which is said is being worked. My Droid X w/ver 2.2 android does not even show an option to sort the contacts list.

I don't think so. I can't even imagine how Flash would have any connection with this. Sorting is an Android feature that is found in other Android phones. For some reason it has been disabled, presumably by Motorola...

And no, I don't think it was programmed in India. But perhaps by twenty-somethings who do not know that many people and those they know by first name. My contact list, however, is over 1000 names....

I recommend Groupy from Market. Good app. Another one is Better Contacts, although I think Groupy is more powerful.