Almost 50% of U.S. Consumers Don't Think They Need 4G LTE According to Survey

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 23, 2012.

1. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

Car enthusiasts care about numbers.
    HP- numbers
    Skid pad rating - numbers
    Gear ratio - numbers
    0-60
    0-100
    Etc.

If you are a true gearhead, slapping on spoilers, ground effect kits and shiny things into your car make you into a ricer.

No function.
    Only cosmetic = RICE

I don't think cars are a good comparison in this subject.
  2. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Well-Known Member

Cars are always a bad analogy but we can relate to.
    Yes the prettier car would sell first, like for like the more powerful one would sell first, regardless of the price of gas.
    Better analogy, I have a qualcom killer wireless card 450mbs, can I use it? No. Not until Kansas City area gets their giga Wi-Fi system up and running and I move there. We love numbers, I myself included. Faster is good even if we can't reap the speed.
  3. PereDroid

PereDroid Well-Known Member

Totally fits. We are talking about average consumers NOT enthusiasts.
    I don't mean ricer kits, either. Factory accessories.
  4. SteveIrv

SteveIrv New Member

I'm getting close to my end of contract/replace phone with a new one time and I've wondered what good 4G will do me over 3G??

I use my phones to make phone calls and to txt. I use the hell out of it on the data side too, but seems like it's nearly always when I've got wifi available. I seldom use "data" on my phones when I'm not hooked to wifi somewhere.

I've heard that sometimes 4G can be faster than wifi (depending on who's wifi I'm hooked to), if that was the case and I used 4G instead of wifi the only effect would be that I'd be hitting my data cap in a BIG hurry, and then I'd just drop back to wifi anyway (or pay huge overage fees).

So....what will 4G do for me???
  5. lloydstrans

The electronics sector of the economy is in a massive slump.
    TVs; 720p-1080p, 55-60-72in. 60hz-120hz, 5 years ago people were buying a new TV every year, not no more. Ran out of numbers.
    Computers; 433mhz now 4.1 MHz on turbo, 512 meg now 32 gigs of ram, couple hundred gigs of HD space now 3 terabytes. The cloud killed HD requirements. Pretty much run out of numbers. PC sales 20% drop every year.
    Phones HOT HOT HOT keep edging up the numbers and we will keep buying them.
  6. TauntingBull

TauntingBull New Member

Yeah... for capped users 4g is not all that attractive but for uncapped, it an awesome ride. Especially if one travels alot. I don't have to go asking ppl for wifi passwords if i want to watch 15 mins of HBO while i wait in line for something
  7. SteveIrv

SteveIrv New Member

And THAT's the thing.......I'm on an unlimited 3G plan right now.....if I "upgrade" to 4G I lose my unlimited plan and then have to buy data in increments so that I've got a cap.

Looking around, I don't see any carriers out there with unlimited plans any more......part of it is that I don't want to change carriers because although I'm retired I'm still on a govt. contract plan that gives me a 15% discount on service charges and 25% off on hardware.

I'm thinking that as long as my D2G (and my wife's D2G) are working...I'll just hang onto them and the unlimited 3G plan we've got.
  8. bluefire7002

bluefire7002 New Member

Once you got 4G LTE, you never go back.... :biggrin:
    1 person likes this.
  9. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

A big part of your visible speed on your phone is how both it and the browser render the sites in terms of the gpu and Ram use. It's even the same with computers; running two PCs, one with Vista and one Windows 7, the Windows 7 PC will load noticeably faster given all other specs held level.

That's just the true standard for 4G. When then original specs for what 4G should be were put out a few years ago it was stated that by definition it would see 1Gbps download speeds.There were lots of techie arguments about VZ and others calling their current offerings 4G.
  10. g_what

g_what Member

This just shows that most people are ignorant.
  11. lloydstrans

If your going to make a stand make it a hazy one.
  12. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

All I know is...its like going from dial up, DSL to cable, Fios. Once I had cable, you couldnt pay me to go back to dial up, DSL. I have almost the fastest tier for my home ISP. I barely use it like I used to. But I dont plan on downgrading, even if it will save money.

I have a RAZR, and I dont even like using my phone for network related things when its in 3G. Those that dont think they need it, dont have it. I dont need it...but I want it. And I dont plan on going back to 3G.
    2 people like this.
  13. acousticshade

acousticshade New Member

Well you could say that all anyone really needs is air, food, water and shelter too. There are many instances, however, where speed starts to become a necessity. If my computer takes 5 minutes to boot up every morning & Joe's only takes 30 seconds, Joe gets 4.5 minutes more work done every day. Multiply that times all your employees if you own a business and quickly you will see how speed of operations is now very important. This is one of the reasons Microsoft is going to a fast boot & 4g is important. It the corporate world, wasted time is wasted money, lost profits & lost opportunities.

Of course, the surveyed sheep in this story probably don't understand this because instead of doing any true research, they just listen to the blah blah from the high schoolers working at apple/walmart/best buy.
  14. acousticshade

acousticshade New Member

+1
    It also depends on cell traffic too. From what I understand at&t 4G is more like 3.5g, but if he had no network traffic & you did, you will see a difference. Recheck your speed test outside with a good signal at off hours & you should see a difference.
  15. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

Lol no it doesn't fit.
    The example used was a 250 hp Mercedes vs 400hp Mercedes and slapping "factory accessories" on it to make it "prettier" to sell?
    Er no.
    What factory accessories can you put on a car that makes the car prettier to influence me to want to buy a 250hp Mercedes over the 400hp one?
    Please...
    This same equation can make an average consumer into an enthusiast.
    Point is that numbers sell.
    Better specs and better whatever makes it happen.
    People upgrade their phones alot cause it's faster, better etc.
    And how do they know it?
    BIGGER numbers then the previous one.
    Even the average consumer looks at that.

As I said.. bad example.
  16. lloydstrans

This is an example of corporate America's "need" to pad the bottom line.
    Let me reiterate my stance, I love 4g, I use 3g for battery and connectivity. And can't wait for the next greatest gadget to "play" with.
    On a side note corporate America will be challenged in court fairly soon. Seems I you have a smart phone you are technically on the clock more.
  17. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

You are indeed correct, however i prefer to be connected and having information at my fingertips instead of how it was in the nineties.

Though I've gone without plenty of times if rather not.

Speaking of not needing tech that new show about all electronics suddenly not working looks epic, i can't remember the name but it looks awesome.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.
  18. lloydstrans

If I remember correctly we didn't have smart phones and computers were even dumber. I like numbers, D'oh, pi to the millionth place epically failed by the USA's most advanced computer in the eighties. Now a modern computer can hand that task in 10 seconds
  19. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

Sprint is the only truly unlimited left and I've heard their service is getting much much better.

You may be able to keep unlimited, you really never know until you try, out get the right rep. Tell them you either get to keep it or off you are.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.
  20. lloydstrans

A couple more jumped in to the unlimited no throttling plan as of late.