Ally-phone or OS problem?

dll932

Reaction score
The Ol' Lady and I just got two Allys from Verizon. We noticed that when you are in a call and press "keypad" to enter alphabetic info for a name or something-there are no letters under the numbers! There ARE on the main keypad when you first start making a call. A guy at work has an older Droid and his shows the letters. In other words, if you have to enter someone's name, you'd have to have a picture of the full dialpad to read to do it!

Also, we found out you can never really delete email messages (hotmail/yahoo) since they come back! Tech support said "yup, that's correct-they aren't removed from the server so they bounce back."

I have a bluetooth box that would voice dial with my old Samsung phone (sch-u700) by pushing the "receiver" button. It would then say "please say a command" and I could say "call home" and it would dial. Apparently there's no way to do this on an Ally, so you have to LOOK at the phone while driving to dial.

There are a few other things I can't remember now, but I'm wondering are these inherent to the phone or the OS, and will future upgrades fix these issues?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a Droid 1, Motorola phone. If I understand you correctly when you look at the phone number pad you don't see the letters? There is no "abc" with the 2 key and no "def" with the 3 key? If so, they are present on my phone, so it isn't the OS.

You might be able to configure the messages to be deleted off of yahoo. I'm pretty sure if gmail goes and fetches your mail it has the option of leaving messages on the server or deleting them when it fetches them. So if gmail fetched the mail and then you were syncing your phone with gmail you'd be all set. Delete a message from gmail or the phone and it is gone from the other automatically.

Android 2.2 fixes the bluetooth initiated dialing problem. Previous versions doesn't let it happen. However, you might have luck just hitting the search button and then saying "Call Home" to initiate the call.

Welcome to the forum!

OP
D

dll932

Reaction score
I have a Droid 1, Motorola phone. If I understand you correctly when you look at the phone number pad you don't see the letters? There is no "abc" with the 2 key and no "def" with the 3 key? If so, they are present on my phone, so it isn't the OS.

You might be able to configure the messages to be deleted off of yahoo. I'm pretty sure if gmail goes and fetches your mail it has the option of leaving messages on the server or deleting them when it fetches them. So if gmail fetched the mail and then you were syncing your phone with gmail you'd be all set. Delete a message from gmail or the phone and it is gone from the other automatically.

Android 2.2 fixes the bluetooth initiated dialing problem. Previous versions doesn't let it happen. However, you might have luck just hitting the search button and then saying "Call Home" to initiate the call.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the answer and the welcome! We don't see the letters under the numbers DURING a call when we hit the "keypad" button. They appear in the initial keypad that appears when we hit the phone button.

Verizon level 2 tech support was who said it wasn't possible to delete mail using the phone. Our yahoo and hotmail accounts don't show anything like gmail does.

The problem is, you have to look at the phone to find the search button, and the search function isn't all that accurate. Makes bluetooth very unsafe to use at hiway speeds.