Alltel to Verizon... GPS problems?

ChalmersP

Reaction score
I havent been able to get my GPS working on my droid... I came from an old Alltel plan, the rest of my family is still on the Alltel plan... Is there anyting I can do that will enable my GPS? Thanks!

OP
C

ChalmersP

Reaction score
Its already on! When I open up google maps It gives a very rough estimate of where i am, probably a 1/4 mile wide circle that I could be in... It feels like that should be more acurate. And also, I dont know how to get the gps on when Im driving in the car. I would like it to tell me speed and heading, along with giving out loud directions. does all of that make sense? Thanks again!

OP
C

ChalmersP

Reaction score
I have looked all over thins forum and still cant figure this out... shouldnt it be more accurate?

canyoufindben

Reaction score
When you are in Google Maps, do you get the Satellite icon at the top, with the 3 greens bars steadily on? Or are the green bars flashing?

I too am an Alltel convert, and I have no problem locking on in seconds. At first Maps shows a rough estimate of my location, based on Cell Tower data, then it Locks in GPS and shows my exact position.

mwinne

Reaction score
When you are in Google Maps, do you get the Satellite icon at the top, with the 3 greens bars steadily on? Or are the green bars flashing?

I too am an Alltel convert, and I have no problem locking on in seconds. At first Maps shows a rough estimate of my location, based on Cell Tower data, then it Locks in GPS and shows my exact position.

same here :heart::motdroidvert:

OP
C

ChalmersP

Reaction score
The green bars are blinking.... Google maps has been open for about a minute, and they are still blinking

canyoufindben

Reaction score
The green bars are blinking.... Google maps has been open for about a minute, and they are still blinking

Well, then it seems you are picking up the tower location, but not locking on to the GPS satellites.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ns/777-apparent-gps-failure-21.html#post37915
According to this thread, there are several theories.
1. Do you live in Florida?
2. If you were a former Alltel Customer, are you still on an Alltel plan, or did you switch over to a VZW plan?
3. Have you tried dialing *228 and using option 2 to update your PRL?

OP
C

ChalmersP

Reaction score

Well, then it seems you are picking up the tower location, but not locking on to the GPS satellites.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ns/777-apparent-gps-failure-21.html#post37915
According to this thread, there are several theories.
1. Do you live in Florida?
2. If you were a former Alltel Customer, are you still on an Alltel plan, or did you switch over to a VZW plan?
3. Have you tried dialing *228 and using option 2 to update your PRL?

Yes, I live in SW Florida, I have heard there have been problems with the GPS signal here. And my family is on an Alltel plan, which I guess makes me on an Alltel plan too... But something makes me want to say I switched to verizon.... What would dialing *228 do?

Manigma77

Reaction score
If you want your GPS to be more accurate then try this. Go to Menu/settings/location & security/ then UNCHECK "use wireless networks" leaving ONLY the "use GPS satellites" checked.

The reason is, when you are using both then the phone is using both ways for the fastest possible lock, between the two.

If you use Gps satellites ONLY, the lock will be slower but the location will be accurate!!!

Try it out and let me know, Hope this helped.

OP
C

ChalmersP

Reaction score
It searches for my location for about 30 seconds, then it says my location is unavailable...

KTG

Reaction score
my droid does the same thing.I too am in Clearwater,FL went from sprint to alltel to verizon.
When you do the prl update or any update do you have to restart the phone like a computer ?

canyoufindben

Reaction score
my droid does the same thing.I too am in Clearwater,FL went from sprint to alltel to verizon.
When you do the prl update or any update do you have to restart the phone like a computer ?

From what I've seen, the Droid doesn't have to reboot to implement the new PRL, although mine tells me it might take up to fifteen minutes to get signal. But still I never miss a beat.

I really don't know what else to say. I have both Use wireless Networks and Use GPS Satellites turned on, and I have no problems. It gives me a rough estimate based on the cell towers and then zeros in on my location with the GPS. And with that other link of people having problems in SW FL, I drove through Tampa and St. Petersburg FL last week and had no problems with my GPS lock. It's gotta be something with the phones provisioned in your area, because it seems visitors don't have the same issue.

Edit:
Just out curiosity, Settings -> About Phone -> Status -> PRL Version. Mine is 51638, and those whose GPS is working tend to have the same PRL. What is your's?

KTG

Reaction score

From what I've seen, the Droid doesn't have to reboot to implement the new PRL, although mine tells me it might take up to fifteen minutes to get signal. But still I never miss a beat.

I really don't know what else to say. I have both Use wireless Networks and Use GPS Satellites turned on, and I have no problems. It gives me a rough estimate based on the cell towers and then zeros in on my location with the GPS. And with that other link of people having problems in SW FL, I drove through Tampa and St. Petersburg FL last week and had no problems with my GPS lock. It's gotta be something with the phones provisioned in your area, because it seems visitors don't have the same issue.

Edit:
Just out curiosity, Settings -> About Phone -> Status -> PRL Version. Mine is 51638, and those whose GPS is working tend to have the same PRL. What is your's?
65061 PRL
how do I get the 51638 PRL
*228 does nothing to update it
also what is your signal strenth -75dbm 0asu